Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts on Recon

Go down 
+9
thejokeriv
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
kethdredd
Tall Tyrion
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 am

Thoughts on Recon Reconyt3

Recon Behind Enemy Lines. Holy crap this is such an excellent record. It's like Deliverance and Sacred Warrior had a baby. A beautifully loud melodic baby. I haven't heard it in awhile and it is maybe my favorite single record from the "glory days" of christian metal.

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, when George Ochoa left to go to Deliverance, that pretty much killed Recon. What are your thoughts on that move? I sure would have loved to hear another Recon album. But then Weapons and What A Joke wouldn't have came out as they did. It's a double edged sword. I think Ochoa's influence took Deliverance from being a great band to a stellar band, but that's my opinion. What is yours, foo?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 am

spectrefate wrote:
Recon Behind Enemy Lines. Holy crap this is such an excellent record. It's like Deliverance and Sacred Warrior had a baby.

Yup! My thoughts exactly. One of my all time favorite albums. Have seen them live several times as well.

As for the Deliverance comparison, that is right on. Most of Recon was in Deliverance at one time or another. The Deliverance song "Slay the Wicked" was originally written for Recon. The Recon song "Behind Enemy Lines" was written by Jimmy Brown and George Ochoa. So there is a lot of Deliverance in Recon and visa versa.

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:09 am

ochoa followed the trends back then and thus left the pure US metal wagon of recon. i love that lp but i still prefer their light the fire demo. i was lucky enough to score a second vivyl copy of their album, signed by grato( although he didn't want at first because of the things i wrote him about deliverance,hehehe)....i still remember mutillo's review on that....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:33 am

Great record. One of the best straight up metal CDs in my collection, Christian or non.

Ranked strictly against my other Christian metal CDs, this one ranks #2 all time (#1 being Barren Cross' ATOMIC ARENA)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:38 am

I couldn't put Atomic Arena above Behind Enemy Lines just because of the goofy intro to "Cultic Regimes". Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am

spectrefate wrote:
I couldn't put Atomic Arena above Behind Enemy Lines just because of the goofy intro to "Cultic Regimes". Smile

Hahaha, yea, I HATE that intro. Y'know how many times that insane cackling has scared the livin' POOP out of me? One time I was dozing off with the album on headphones and when that intro came up I practically jumped outta my skin!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:56 am

Awesome Album.I wish they'd done more.I agree with the Deliverance and Sacred Warrior comparisons also.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 am

spectrefate wrote:

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, when George Ochoa left to go to Deliverance, that pretty much killed Recon. What are your thoughts on that move? I sure would have loved to hear another Recon album. But then Weapons and What A Joke wouldn't have came out as they did. It's a double edged sword. I think Ochoa's influence took Deliverance from being a great band to a stellar band, but that's my opinion. What is yours, foo?

From what I gathered, Recon was already sorta split up, or at least were inactive, at the time George joined Deliverance. According to his liner notes in the M8/Magdalene reissue of BEHIND ENEMY LINES, George sez that when he joined Deliverance he had a meeting with the label folks at Intense and brought up the idea of doing a Recon record for them, because he "didn't want to see all those great songs go to waste." So I suppose we're lucky we ever got a Recon album at all!

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:20 am

That's good information there. Unfortunately my bootleg I bought from M8 doesn't have a lick of liner notes. Just a card that likes to fold everytime I close the jewel case. angry

But still, I love it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 am

spectrefate wrote:
That's good information there. Unfortunately my bootleg I bought from M8 doesn't have a lick of liner notes. Just a card that likes to fold everytime I close the jewel case. angry

But still, I love it.

Yea, that sounds like you got one of the bootleg versions of that CD. The original M8/Magdalene Records pressing was limited to 1000 copies and had the aforementioned notes from George inside the booklet along with all the lyrics.

I have a bootleg copy of Sacred Warrior's OBSESSION with the same problem. The "booklet" is just a card (and a badly copied one at that!). Doesn't really bother me though cuz it was the only S.W. album I didn't have on CD and I was just happy to finally find it one way or the other.

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Sounds like you got one of the Greek bootleg versions of that CD. The original M8/Magdalene Records pressing was limited to 1000 copies and had the aforementioned notes from George inside the booklet along with all the lyrics.

My boot says it was manufactured by Seoul Records, Inc. Korea. Which just HAS to be authentic with that name. The actual label just says YBM. I bought it from M8 Distribution on Amazon. It was $9.99 so I knew what I was getting, since that's the same way I got Sacred Warrior's Obsessions and Wicked Generation CDs. I guess it was better than downloading it for free.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Sounds like you got one of the Greek bootleg versions of that CD. The original M8/Magdalene Records pressing was limited to 1000 copies and had the aforementioned notes from George inside the booklet along with all the lyrics.

My boot says it was manufactured by Seoul Records, Inc. Korea. Which just HAS to be authentic with that name. The actual label just says YBM. I bought it from M8 Distribution on Amazon. It was $9.99 so I knew what I was getting, since that's the same way I got Sacred Warrior's Obsessions and Wicked Generation CDs. I guess it was better than downloading it for free.

Yea, my copy of "OBSESSIONS" sez it's from a label called "ERMI Music," supposedly in the Netherlands. Never heard of 'em before and likely never will again.

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have a bootleg copy of Sacred Warrior's OBSESSION with the same problem. The "booklet" is just a card (and a badly copied one at that!).

Yeah they got us both, I remember us talking about that a couple of months ago.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I have a bootleg copy of Sacred Warrior's OBSESSION with the same problem. The "booklet" is just a card (and a badly copied one at that!).

Yeah they got us both, I remember us talking about that a couple of months ago.

Them b**tards. angry

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 am

mine are all originals. and i have them on vinyl and cds. sometime i'll give of course the cds....hehehe, i know who made these s.warrior boots......
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am

syrus wrote:

hehehe, i know who made these s.warrior boots......

Tell him Spectrefate and I said "Thanks for nothing" Laughing

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 am

if i recall right actually they were pressed in croatia after a greekgerman coalition....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 am

I enjoy the album and definitely think it's good but I don't think they were as good as, say, SACRED WARRIOR, SCREAMER, or DEADLY BLESSING.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:40 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I enjoy the album and definitely think it's
good but I don't think they were as good as, say, SACRED WARRIOR,
SCREAMER, or DEADLY BLESSING.

I agree. Great album, but the vocals held it back a bit. Some of those notes he had no right to reach for.

When Recon played Calistone, they hinted at a possible reunion album.
Sure would be nice, because their current vocalist is much better, IMO.
They also did a killer version of Slay The Wicked, which I appreciated,
especially considering Deliverance had to cancel. 🤘
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 am

i love recon more than s.warrior. sure screamer and deadly blessing are the mastrers(but gargoyle have them both,hehehe)
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:21 am

Fantastic disc, one of my all time favorites. The band is currently working on a new disc. They have a different singer now who's name I can't remember and myspace is blocked at work. I do know that George Ochoa and Mike Grato are in the band still. They played at Cornerstone California.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:25 am

syrus wrote:
i love recon more than s.warrior. sure screamer and deadly blessing are the mastrers(but gargoyle have them both,hehehe)

Smile

When I say SACRED WARRIOR, I am referring to "Master's Command", which I think is a masterpiece. The rest are merely meh to pretty good to me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:00 pm

kethdredd wrote:
Fantastic disc, one of my all time favorites. The band is currently working on a new disc. They have a different singer now who's name I can't remember and myspace is blocked at work. I do know that George Ochoa and Mike Grato are in the band still. They played at Cornerstone California.

The new vocalist is Rod Arias (or Rod Dickenson). I've seen Recon with him twice, the first time in 2002. He is a fantastic singer and can nail all those high notes even better than Recon's original vocals. He will not disappoint longtime fans, should the band ever finally decide to record their sophomore release.

The rest of the band is still the same. George Ochoa and Eddie Starline on guitars, John Gonzales on bass and my good friend Mike Grato on bass.

Myself with Eddie Starline this past September:
Thoughts on Recon L_bdf6ca18e368de5de2cb5289656d11d2

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Well the official Myspace that Eddie Starline runs says Recon's new album "The Chosen Few" should be out in '08. I hope that's true.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=168641657
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Myself with Eddie Starline this past September:
Thoughts on Recon L_bdf6ca18e368de5de2cb5289656d11d2

ult, you should have arm wrestled him. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts on Recon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next