Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again

Go down 
+10
Troublezone
the sentinel
nevermore
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
stormspell
Follower of Jesus
ultmetal
journeyman
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 pm

I am psyched up for it and I think (from what I have heard so far) that I will really like it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:07 am

ultmetal wrote:
Of the more recent CDs, Erase the Slate is the best IMO.

I knew a guy who sang in a local band called Shattered in the late 90's and he was friends with Don Dokken. I ended up getting to see one of their sessions at the studio in Redondo Beach for this particular record and it was very cool. It was kinda funny seeing Don without his hair extensions and watching Jeff Pilson working the knobs of the soundboard. The drummer Wild Mick Brown was in the back playing video games in the drum room. Unfortunately i didn't get to see or meet Reb Beach who played guitar with them at the time.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I have Tooth & Nail, I think that's the only Dokken I own. It's okay, I've heard lots of their stuff though. They never really stuck out to me and the reviews I've read from their later albums said they were average at best, so I never had any incentive.

BUT... What I'm hearing on their MySpace page sounds good. I'll be picking this one up.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

BUT... What I'm hearing on their MySpace page sounds good. I'll be picking this one up.

Pick up their 1987 classic Back For The Attack while you're at it. I doubt you'd be disappointed with that one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Pick up their 1987 classic Back For The Attack while you're at it. I doubt you'd be disappointed with that one.

And buy BREAKING THE CHAINS and UNDER LOCK AND KEY too. They are classic hard rock/melodic metal albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:13 am

OK, I'm about halfway through the promo (w/ voiceovers) CD of this new DOKKEN and:

- It's better than I anticipated

- Don, while sounding decent, sounds like he's not pushing at all on most of the album...his voice has little to no "volume" (if that makes any sense)...

- Levin is a master at "doing Dokken"....he sounds very, very much like Lynch on these solos & rhythms...he could easily be in a Dokken or Lynch "tribute" act...

- Good choruses, I found myself at one point singing "Standing in the shadows!!" over one of these new songs...they sound that close...

- There are a couple moments of "new" Dokken (the stuff that is melodic, but doesn't sound like old Dokken)

- If I was forced to give it a grade before I finish listening to it, I'd give it a B- (about as good as "Hell To Pay", better than "Long Way Home")

- My final review will be on TeethOfTheDivine.com by Monday...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 am

I agree with that B-, Shawn. BTW, it's much better without the voiceovers. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 am

spectrefate wrote:
I agree with that B-, Shawn. BTW, it's much better without the voiceovers. Smile

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 543534 SHUT UP!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:31 am

Ouch. I just wanna be friends. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:36 am

greedy Give us a hug!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:14 am

Another note, as the album is finishing up, the second half of the album is where most of the "new Dokken" material is. The last few songs could have been lifted from Erase The Slate or Hell To Pay...melodic hard rock, but not "old Dokken" like the opening track...come to think of it, the "old Dokken" sounding stuff sounds like a blend of Don's Up From The Ashes solo album and Back For The Attack...this incarnation of DOKKEN put just enough "old Dokken" in the mix to pique the fans interest...and stacked most of it in the first half of the record...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 am

My review is done...was easy to write...should be up @ TeethOfTheDivine.com today...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Here's my review:

http://teethofthedivine.com/site/reviews/dokken-lightning-strikes-again/
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Another note, as the album is finishing up, the second half of the album is where most of the "new Dokken" material is. The last few songs could have been lifted from Erase The Slate or Hell To Pay...melodic hard rock, but not "old Dokken" like the opening track...come to think of it, the "old Dokken" sounding stuff sounds like a blend of Don's Up From The Ashes solo album and Back For The Attack...this incarnation of DOKKEN put just enough "old Dokken" in the mix to pique the fans interest...and stacked most of it in the first half of the record...

Perfect assessment, imho. I am on my second spin now and that is precisely what I was thinking. The first half sounds like it should have been the follow up to Back for the Attack in 1990/1991 or so and the second half sounds more 1997/1998 or so, Erase the Slate era. Peace.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Here's my review:

Nice Review. I still have to buy the cd and will do that soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm

krokus wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Here's my review:

Nice Review. I still have to buy the cd and will do that soon.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 11:50 am

I've never been big into Dokken, so I don't know how this compares to most of their catalog, but I finally bought this yesterday and I dig it alot. It's a good mix of their classic sound along with some modern stuff.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I like it okay. Its better than anything since Beast From The East. But it doesn't come close to the quality of their 80's stuff, especially Back For The Attack. BFTA is a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm

I saw Dokken last year, Don's vocals sounded ok. I think Oasis is a decent tune. I'm sure to find better tracks on the full-TJ
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I have this new one and although the music is good, Don Dokken lost his feeling and to me his vocals are not very good on this album. The new guitarist plays a lot like George Lynch and I like that because George was a phenomenal guitarist!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I have this new one and although the music is good, Don Dokken lost his feeling and to me his vocals are not very good on this album.

I think he does a decent job, I don't think his vocals were ever special anyway. He's always sounded to me like he's holding back. There is one song where you can tell he's straining, I can't remember which one though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2