Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again

Go down 
+10
Troublezone
the sentinel
nevermore
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
stormspell
Follower of Jesus
ultmetal
journeyman
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Empty
PostSubject: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Since the release of this album is coming up, I figured I'd create a thread. I know a lot of you haven't liked or listened to the most recent albums, but I personally feel—with the exception of Shadowlife—that the band is still putting out some quality music. The next album, Lightning Strikes Again, is said to be more like their early albums. Not sure if I'm ready to believe that, but there is a rough mix of a new song called "Oasis" on their MySpace, and it definitely sounds like some of their early stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/dokken1

It's a mid-tempo track, but the vibe is definitely 80s. Nice George Lynch style to the riffs, too. Good tune.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:07 pm

I love Dokken and agree that some of their more recent stuff was not too bad. I plan on getting this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 pm

I was thrilled when Dokken got back together, as they were one of my favorite 80s bands. I thought DYSFUNCTIONAL was a phenomenal disc (still do) but their material post-DYSFUNCTIONAL is hit or miss. I actually kinda like some of SHADOWLIFE but then I got it for like $3.99 from Columbia House's clearance section years ago, haha. If I'd run out on the first day of release and paid $15 for it I probably would've been SUPER pissed. On the other hand, ERASE THE SLATE was a fantastic return to form, too bad that they couldn't keep Reb Beach in the lineup (Anybody know why he left, by the way? All the interviews I read with the band seemed to indicate he was in for the long haul, then all of a sudden, NOPE! He's done).
I just listened to LONG WAY HOME for the first time in awhile one day last week and it has its moments, but pales in comparison to ERASE.
HELL TO PAY, again, has a few strong songs and it seems that they're finding their way back again with yet another new lineup. If the same lineup from HELL TO PAY is on the new one and they've had sufficient time to "gel" I think we could be in for a really good album from them this time. That "rough mix" tune sounds pretty OK on the first spin, I'd like to hear a little more aggression though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Yeah, I paid full price for Shadowlife and I was really pissed! Haha. I'm with you, I thought Dysfunctional was a killer album, and I still do. So Shadowlife was a huge disappointment. I listened to it a few times over the years and it never impressed me, though recently I played it again and it didn't strike me as so bad that time. A few songs I liked. Not sure if that was a rare mood I was in or not, but I'm sure it'll be a good while again before I spin it.

Erase The Slate was an excellent album, too! And I think Hell To Pay and Long Way Home are solid, but definitely not up there with Erase The Slate. Maybe Reb left for Winger? Although, I don't think Winger got back together until recently. Who's playing on the upcoming album? I'm really diggin' that new tune.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 9:57 pm

I'll give it a try. I love the Breakin The Chains album. I haven't heard anything past
Beast From The East, so my knowledge of Dokken is limited to the first four albums. So I quess Erase The Slate is one of the best of the post 80's period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 am

I love Dokken and will get this album next year, but that "Oasis" track has about as much energy as me at a New Kids On The Block concert.
I have really liked everything they have put out but other than the 80's Lynch albums, "Erase The Slate" is the only one that doesn't sound like a Don Dokken solo project. But then Reb Beach is just freakin' awesome, and really shines on that album, IMO.
Fingers crossed on the new one, which I am sure I will like, but I just hope some energy is injected into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:05 am

....i thought "Hell To Pay" was an excellent disc.Many still can't get over Lynch being gone.Don's one of the best ever.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:31 am

Of the more recent CDs, Erase the Slate is the best IMO.

Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 12:23 pm

I love Dokken....easily my favorite band of the 80's, and one of my all-time favorite bands. I cannot hear what everyone else hears on Erase The Slate. I found it boring. There was no punch. Their 80's stuff was KILLER and nothing they've done since has touched it.

I am encouraged by the new song Oasis. Its mellow sure, but you hear the trademarks of their 80's sound all through it. I am anxious to hear the new one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Looks like the final mix of "Oasis" is up now. I really dig it.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 5:49 pm

I'll check it out when it's out, but somehow I'm very conservative when it comes to classic bands and will probably end up listening to the old classic albums anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 9:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Looks like the final mix of "Oasis" is up now. I really dig it.

I initially didn't dig this song, but I love it now. I gotta stop jumping to conclusions on music like this. This album should be killer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm

New samples:

http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/lsa-ponr.wax
http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/lsa-hos.wax
http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/lsa-soto.wax
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 am

I am so uninterested in this...in fact, what interest I had was just used up posting this message...
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:58 pm

I dug Dokken back in the day. George Lynch is truly one of the best....

After that live album..... which to me really sounded like poodoo, boring mailed in vocals.... dubbed to death????

Those first four discs were great !
break the chain -- paris is buuuurrrrrrnnnningggg !
tooth and nail- 'break the spell...... tooth and nail'
under lock and key - ' till the living end !!'
back for the attack !! ' kiss, kiss, kiss of DEATH!!!'

damn I liked dokken.... if they new material is like this stuff I know I'd dig it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:44 pm

More samples:

http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/LSA-thisfireisdyin.wax
http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/LSA-itmeans.wax

Sounds like it's gonna be a solid album, but it's pretty obvious this isn't like the early stuff, like the band claimed initially.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:50 pm

I think Don will say its like the old sound just to pique interest. Me personally, I don't think it's possible for ANY band to sound like their past glories. Metallica and Dokken are 2 bands that have evolved way past their, as Bruce Dickinson has said, "Jurrasic period".
I like everything that Dokken has put out for what it is (except maybe Shadowlife). After my initial apprehension....damn Shawn's right, my interest is waning the more I type. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Don wasn't the one that said, if I remember correctly; it was the new guitarist.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 12:10 am

Listening to the song clips it sounds pretty good. George Lynch was just as much a part of their sound as the songs themselves.

Point of No Return, It Means.... sound like good solid Dokken tunes to me... it's 2008 not 1988, but these song clips sound like a solid progression to me. Yet no George Lynch. This material still sounds like it fits their older catalog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:55 am

Well, outside of Shadowlife, Dokken has continued to put out some solid rock music. And the last three without Lynch. But if you've heard what Lynch did with Lynch Mob and everything else recently, he wouldn't bring Dokken back to their classic sound.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:35 am

The samples sound like the Dokken of old - the new guitarist sounds like he is doing a spot on impersonation of Lynch
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Well, outside of Shadowlife, Dokken has continued to put out some solid rock music. And the last three without Lynch. But if you've heard what Lynch did with Lynch Mob and everything else recently, he wouldn't bring Dokken back to their classic sound.

I'm trully out of touch Embarassed ... I've not heard Lynch Mob in years or any of his other material. Having said that those first discs (Dokken) are something special for the time they were made.

Those new clips, like I said, sound like they'd fit in their catalog just fine. The guitar tone is there, and Don's (airy) vocals are as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:45 am

I preordered my copy this morning from NEH, so I should get it in around the 15th. So per my usual I have downloaded the promo, with voiceover.

Wow, this is good. Don has Jon trying to sound like a George Lynch clone on alot of stuff, but this has many more layers than just that.

Like on Quiet Riot's last album, Dokken have found their niche, I think. It has hints of old Dokken but then it also has the mature tone of Don's last few albums.

I like it better than the new Whitesnake and that says ALOT coming from me. I even will hazard to say this is the best Dokken since BFTA.

My only complaint is Don's voice sounds blown on some of these songs, however.....

Preorder with confidence, dear readers, this one is the real deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Just got my delivery confirmation from NEH. I should have this puppy in my chubby hands by Friday! Woo Hoo!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 pm

The End also has this in stock or it's available for pre-order.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again   Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next