Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"

Go down 
+17
SAHB Healer
journeyman
Chairman_Smith
Olafsto
EvyMetal
krokus
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
nevermore
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
stepcousin
mc666
7thSecond
Smindas
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

"Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Empty
PostSubject: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 5:16 pm

Anybody here ever heard that before? I bet 20 years ago, I probably heard it 3 times a week. 🤘

You?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 5:40 pm

I think I had it once said to me in a very jokey way. Other than that, I honestly can't think of people telling me 'it's a phase'. And I'm glad, otherwise I'd have to dropkick them.

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 5:42 pm

yeah, you're 18. We proved them wrong, and now nobody says it.

Happy
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 6:18 pm

Hahaha, yes. Cheers for putting in the ground work.

Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 6:25 pm

No, I've never heard that before. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 6:54 pm

nope, never heard that.

stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 8:17 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:

Happy

I agree, back in the day music was very trendy and people thought metal was trendy too. well, nobody listens to Madonna or Depeche Mode anymore but metal has a following that grows bigger every year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 8:46 pm

stepcousin wrote:

Happy

I agree, back in the day music was very trendy and people thought metal was trendy too. well, nobody listens to Madonna or Depeche Mode anymore but metal has a following that grows bigger every year.

Don't be fooled. People still love Madonna and Depeche Mode (they just sold out their last tour), but METAL DOES RULE!!!!

By the way, I'm a HUGE Depeche Mode fan as well as a metalhead, so I had to say somethin' heheh.

affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Anybody here ever heard that before? I bet 20 years ago, I probably heard it 3 times a week. 🤘

You?

Yup I heard that all the time back in the 80s. Man times have changed.

🤘
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Yep - heard that when I was a teen in the 80's, no one say that to me anymore either
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:06 pm

While I don't recall hearing it as a teen, I'm sure my parents said it plenty of times. Probably my wife now too. Too bad for 'em.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Heard it before,I think they know better now.Haha!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:32 pm

My mom told me that so many times when I was in my late teens, early 20's. I could be rich if I had a nickel for every time I heard that.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm

blackieboy wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Happy

Don't be fooled. People still love Madonna and Depeche Mode (they just sold out their last tour), but METAL DOES RULE!!!!

By the way, I'm a HUGE Depeche Mode fan as well as a metalhead, so I had to say somethin' heheh.

affraid

Ya, a lot of people still listen to Depeche Mode. I know I do. And a lot of people unfortunetly still listen to Madonna sick
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:47 pm

I'm sure my parents THOUGHT it but they never said it out loud to me that I can remember.

Hell, my wife probably STILL thinks it but she won't say it Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:36 am

[quote="GrandNational"]
blackieboy wrote:

oh dont worry, Im not fooled. The ones who are are the ones who still attend those shows^^^, the ones going for $200 .
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:48 am

My mom's husband used to say that to me in the early 90's (when I first got into heavy metal) but I think that after 15 years I've proven him wrong. My mom and dad probably thought it but never said anything to me about it. The only fad (phase) I went through was the baggy pants thing (looking back on it, it was pretty stupid and I shake my head everytime I see people doing it to this day). When I was in middle school I was always getting picked on so I tried desperatly to fit in but it never happened. Even the metal heads rejected me (I was constantly berated as a poser, which didn't make since because metal was passe at that point). I tried less to fit in at high school, which was best because I still didn't fit it with others outside my wrestling team (with a few exceptions). These days I could care less about following fads, I realize now that it is pointless to try to fit in and now I don't even try. As the old saying goes "to thine own self be true."
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:56 am

perhaps if i actually listened when other people talked, i might have heard something similar. normally, when people start running their yap, i tune them out. they start to sound like Charlie Brown's mom.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 5:14 am

Yes, they told me that many times.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 5:36 am

once a metalhead always a metalhead,

Last edited by on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 am

DB, phase probably was the right word.

Quote :
once a metalhead always a metalhead,

Exactly. Because those that turn from it were never true to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 am

Heard that many many times!
I told my parents back in the eighties that I would listen to Metal even when I grow old.
They didn`t believe me then, but now they have accepted the fact that I will never grow to old for listening to Metal
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Maybe, but thats silly. My taste use to be all about how fast and heavy it was, but I did outgrow that so my music taste has evolved to include many different genres (mostly rock mind you), but I still walk the walk and love metal as much as i did when I was 17, if not a more.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Yeah that's pretty much the way my wife feels about it....well it's been an aweful long fad.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 7:20 pm

I think rock music of all kinds has been around long enough, with so many bands (and their fans) exhibiting staying power; that the idea that popular music is primarily youth/fad driven has receded. I like that. In short, critics making fun of metal as being passe has itself become passe.
The downside of this for some might be the news that even Nu- metal is more than just a fad for many, and it and it's fans are here to stay too IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"   "Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Heavy Metal is a fad you're going through"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next