Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Empty
PostSubject: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Overall Rating 8/10
Music 8/10
Lyrics 7/10
Cover Art 10/10
Liner Notes 6/10 (cool art but no lyrics)

First off I'll get it right out in the open, I love Monster Magnet and am really digging the new album.

It is similar to Monolithic Baby but features some mellow elements like on God Says No along with a bit of spaced out tones but more traditional hard rock that newer Monster Magnet is known for. It is good stuff but nothing new, Monster Magnet have already done it better and they just seem to dive more and more into hard rock as their career goes on and losing the oddball space/acid edge that made their early stuff so great.

Lyrically Dave is still doing the weirdo space, planets, and self obsessive girls stuck on themselves that were all over Monolithic Baby. Not thought provoking but is interesting and may fall into the Magnet formula but doesn't remotely remind me of anything else I have heard and always makes me wonder how he comes up with this oddball stuff.

This album delivers in that it is imperfectly Monster Magnet with simple oddball lyrics, and spaced out hard rock. If you didn't like them before this album won't change your mind but if you like them as I do you will be happy with this album.

Highlights: 4 Way Diablo, I'm Calling You, Slap in the Face, 2000 Lightyears from home (Rolling Stones cover)
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 5:03 pm

it has a good cover thats for sure
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 8:04 pm

I don't think it's like any other MM album. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was more material from Dave's solo album that was mentioned a few years back. That album was supposed to be mellow with a good dose of acoustics; and that's exactly what 4-Way Diablo sounds like.

Don't get me wrong here, I think the album is killer, but it's definitely a very different MM album. I would never classify this one as "nothing new." It's clearly MM, but still pretty different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:10 pm

It sounds just like Monster Magnet to me, and it sounds exactly like I thought it would before I heard any of it. Glad we can agree that it is good at least Wink
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Sounds promising. I dug the hell out of MONOLITHIC BABY so I'm sure I'll dig this as well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:23 pm

firestar wrote:
It sounds just like Monster Magnet to me, and it sounds exactly like I thought it would before I heard any of it. Glad we can agree that it is good at least Wink
Oh, I agree that it sounds like Monster Magnet and that it's a great album; I just think that it sounds like a different Monster Magnet this time out.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Didn't one of the guitarists leave after their last album? I wonder if that had anything to do with the different sound? Nonetheless, I will pick this one up. I dig these guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm pissed. This album isn't on sale here. It's $16.99! That's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:14 am

Metalguy- Nope same guitarists as on Monolithic Baby! I put the cd in my computer and the next thing I know I get an add from request from their lead player Ed Mundell on myspace.

Eyesore- I don't think it's a big enough release to warrant it going on sale. Almost no where around here had it, of the 12 best buys within 50 miles, 1 had it and when I called they said they got 1 copy and it was gone. I got mine at FYE and it was 16.99 and they said they only got 2 of em.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 9:14 am

Quote :
Metalguy- Nope same guitarists as on Monolithic Baby! I put the cd in my computer and the next thing I know I get an add from request from their lead player Ed Mundell on myspace.

That's where I got confused. Ed Mundell left his other band (The Atomic B*tchwax), not Monster Magnet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo   Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monster Magnet 4 Way Diablo
Page 1 of 1