Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy

Go down 
+60
Rami Airola
ZombieHavoc
T-Roy
Shawn Of Fire
MEGATRON
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
James B.
EmoElmo
Dark Horseman
exact33
BuzzPhil
Svengo
7thSaviour
Getizzyback
One With the World
Gilbert
Thrasher73
mez
ultmetal
LockedUp
zelote
FATALITY
tohostudios
Shiney
A Handful of Wayne
Chairman_Smith
nevermore
spiritoradio
iamrockerfun
MoonChild
Rex
MetalRob331
Wargod
Sword Of The Heretic
Selvmord
DeathCult
Required Fields
rattpoison
metalinmyveins
Lurideath
thejokeriv
Schbopo
Smindas
the sentinel
The Heckler
akeldama
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Leatherface
XYZ
skullsmasher
sam
manny
MetalGuy71
Addy
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
DallasBlack
64 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 am

MEGATRON wrote:
so what's the problem with Axl doing it?

It's like selling a false product, that's it

I can listen to SPAGHETTI INCIDENT without any reservation because I know it's a GNR album

I don't know how'd you feel with SKID ROW or SEPULTURA, the same? no?
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 am

EmoElmo wrote:
MEGATRON wrote:

I'd argue that Axl has every right to call the band Guns N' Roses since he owns the name, but I don't really want to get into any debates about whether or not the album he's selling is a "false product". My question was mostly directed at people who are okay with Black Sabbath (or any other band) having one original member, but not okay with the current Gn'R lineup being called Gn'R.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 am

MEGATRON wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
MEGATRON wrote:

I'd argue that Axl has every right to call the band Guns N' Roses since he owns the name, but I don't really want to get into any debates about whether or not the album he's selling is a "false product". My question was mostly directed at people who are okay with Black Sabbath (or any other band) having one original member, but not okay with the current Gn'R lineup being called Gn'R.

That's simply a case to case basis (depends upon who laid the foundation)... Bruce Dickinson, Dio and Brian Johnson were considered as replacement vocalists at some point, but look at what they have done, it's just a matter of who's being effective and who's not...

Can you say the same to Ripper Owens, Derrick Greene, Rob Dukes, Chris Broderick or even Bumblefoot from (uhm) GnR? highly debatable,

As with Al Pitrelli and Chris Broderick's case (MEGADETH) , IMO Mustaine only hired them to mimic Friedman's playing onstage and in the studio, as technical as they can be, neither of them recreated the Friedman magic, I for one could only care less about post-Friedman albums, Megadeth to me is Mustaine and Friedman

Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 am

EmoElmo wrote:
That's simply a case to case basis (depends upon who laid the foundation)... Bruce Dickinson, Dio and Brian Johnson were considered as replacement vocalists at some point, but look at what they have done, it's just a matter of who's being effective and who's not...

I was referring to bands with only one original member, like the Glenn Hughes/Tony Martin eras of Sabbath, rather than the Dio era. But I do agree with you on this point though.

EmoElmo wrote:
Can you say the same to Bumblefoot from (uhm) GnR? highly debatable.

Well, I would say yes, because I think Chinese Democracy is a great album.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 am

^I think most of us would agree Hughes/Martin era were faux-Sabbath, with Iommi unabashedly milked the trademark name to death
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:52 am

MEGATRON wrote:
I'm fine with Axl releasing the album under the Guns N' Roses name.

Iommi did the exact same thing with Black Sabbath for many years and a lot of people here don't seem to have a problem with that, so what's the problem with Axl doing it?

I didnt know that, learn something new everyday

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 am

MEGATRON wrote:
I'm fine with Axl releasing the album under the Guns N' Roses name.

Iommi did the exact same thing with Black Sabbath for many years and a lot of people here don't seem to have a problem with that, so what's the problem with Axl doing it?

Because, if memory serves, the label wouldnt back Iommi if the albums were not labeled as Black Sabbath. I wonder how many copies of Chinese Democracy would have been printed if the album was released as an Axl solo album?

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 am

Whenever the sitting President of the United States steps on any plane it instantly becomes Airforce One, and I feel that whenever Iommi straps on his guitar and steps on stage, no matter who is the band at any given time, that band instantly becomes Black Sabbath.

I have no issue with Axl using the Guns n Roses name, but he forced the other band members to capitulate to his demand they hand over the name or he would refuse to finish the tour which would cost the band tons of money in legal fees etc, Iommi never did any such thing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 am

I'm not a fan of Axl running the name of GnR into the ground with his band of hacks, but on the other hand, it's his business and I'm sure he doesn't give a flying f**k what I or other fans think. At this point, it is what it is.

And yes, Manny is correct. Axl more or less forced the original band members to sign over their rights. He did "steal" the name from everyone in a sense.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:01 am

manny wrote:
I have no issue with Axl using the Guns n Roses name, but he forced the other band members to capitulate to his demand they hand over the name or he would refuse to finish the tour which would cost the band tons of money in legal fees etc, Iommi never did any such thing.

I bet Slash wished they would have called his bluff...

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am

manny wrote:

Eh i wouldn't trust this story. Axl denied it heavily and i also read that he got the name rights in the late 90's, after Slash and Duff left. Slash claims it but that doesn't mean it's true. If it was, i would be so pissed off to never work on anything related to Guns n' Roses. Yet Slash happily recorded overdubs and even through the manager got in contact with Axl to know what he had to work on for the Live Era album in 1999.

Axl and Slash contradict each every time they open their mouths. Just as Slash claims that it was only Axl working on that never released follow-up album they wanted to get out around 1995/1996. While Axl claimed it was all Slash and he didn't allow Axl to do anything. Same with the song Fall to Pieces, where Slash claims it was written by the members of VR, while Axl claims that it was created during those 1995 recordings.
I wouldn't believe anything they say, unless they both tell the exact same story and Duff verifies it Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 am

Slash, Duff and Steven have all said the same thing about Axl forcing their hands. I'd believe those 3 over Axl's denial.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Slash, Duff and Steven have all said the same thing about Axl forcing their hands. I'd believe those 3 over Axl's denial.

But with Steven Adler it was different: He was kicked out of the band in 1990 (quite some time before they started the UYI tour where that alleged contract thing happened) and all the other members had a hand in him giving the contract which made him sign away all rights of the band and the material. That's why he later went to court and got 2,2 million dollars ouf of the lawsuit against the contract. Which makes me wonder why the others didn't do the same.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

True, Steven's situation was a bit different. It was an effort to get him sober.

But Slash and Duff both seem to give the same reasoning in the end. They were fed up with Axl's shenanigans and basically said "Fine. Enough. Here's my signature. The band is yours now. Have fun, I'm outta here".

The band's former manager Alan Niven cooborates that story as well. If the others didn't go to court to fight it, it makes me think they did sign away their rights and the case would get thrown out. They don't have anything to stand on. Steven's defense was that he was too f**ked-up to know what he was signing and therefore the contract was void.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm

The answer to the question of how many would've been printed up if it wasn't labeled a GnR album is: 9.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:20 pm

The original 4 members did not give up their publishing, Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff still own the publishing. Apparently Axl's company or managers control how the money gets doled out, since a few years ago they had to sue Guns N Roses Inc, to get some back due royalties which was quickly settled.

The 'Live Era' album was going to released by Geffen anyway, and Axl and Slash agreed to work on it, to make it a good product, but they never worked on it together. They had producer Mike Clink act as they go between
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Axl should hook up with Sharon. What an unholy shite of a mess that would be.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

manny wrote:
The original 4 members did not give up their publishing, Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff still own the publishing. Apparently Axl's company or managers control how the money gets doled out, since a few years ago they had to sue Guns N Roses Inc, to get some back due royalties which was quickly settled.

No. Axl owns all the rights to the Guns n' Roses Name, also owns all the rights to the GN'R songs, though apparently he sold them for 15 million dollars to Geffen Records (i at least read that once) so even he only gets royalties from the albums sold and as far as i know, that's the reason went on court and tried to prohibit the release of that Guns n' Roses Best-of Album (Slash accompanied him as far as the story goes, they were completely against a Greatest Hits album, for whatever reason) and they failed, so the album was released was a major success.
And there's no Management with Alx. As far as he told and as far as i read, there was first that Merck guy who smurfed all up and was fired. Then Irving Azoff was his manager, but Axl fired him and it ended in a lawsuit and now he has a new manager group around him. It's weird.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm

to be honest - I just with GNR would go away. all this dramatic stuff is just way over the top and just serves to destroy any legacy they might have built.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

exact33 wrote:
to be honest - I just with GNR would go away. all this dramatic stuff is just way over the top and just serves to destroy any legacy they might have built.

The big question is, will they make the Van Halen or Blondie fiasco's at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame look tame in comparison? Anything involving Axl Rose makes the potential of things going awry a very distinct possibility...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm

exact33 wrote:
to be honest - I just with GNR would go away.

Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 25679
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

amen
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am

T-Roy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

amen

You know part of Slash & Duff deep down inside looks back on that moment and thinks "we should have told him to piss off"...then they could have got a new singer and kept going.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 am

If Steven Adler can change "somewhat" we have hope for that red heaeded guy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

amen

You know part of Slash & Duff deep down inside looks back on that moment and thinks "we should have told him to piss off"...then they could have got a new singer and kept going.
No doubt. I guess it's like anything else though. Axl was literally imploding, I'm sure everybody's emotions were high. Then to have him threatening to walk out in the middle of tour and cost everybody everything....but yeah, if they had it to do over, buh-bye Mr Brownstone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy   Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy - Page 22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy
Page 22 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next