Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good albums, terrible production

Go down 
+8
Required Fields
Lurideath
Wrecked Neck
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
MetallicSeminarian
Hadley
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Good albums, terrible production Empty
PostSubject: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 6:36 pm

What are some albums that you enjoy, but still admit arent that well-produced. Dokken's Erase the Slate and Overkill's The Killing Kind come to mind (both from CMC Records). Lots of great songs there, but they also sound flat and have little to no "bottom end".

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 6:54 pm

It’s fresh in my mind because I was just listening to it today, but I’ve never been wild about the production on Exodus’ Pleasures of the Flesh.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos

To me the whole thing sounds like it was recorded over the telephone; there's no "depth" to the music and the highs are muddy as hell. It's a crying shame because even despite the crappy production it's still my favorite BOC album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 6:23 am

These come to mind:

Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King
Kix's Blow My Fuse
Dokken's Tooth & Nail
Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry
Kiss' Hotter Than Hell

All of these have very dry, muffled sound. Years ago I used to think it was because I'd played my old cassette copies so much that they were worn out, but when I upgraded each of them to CD I realized nope, they always sounded that way.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Bad production/mix can actually be a good thing in some cases. Bands like Venom, Bathory and Sodom had rough productions, but it gave their records a creepy atmosphere that I love.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 5:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
These come to mind:

Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King
Kix's Blow My Fuse
Dokken's Tooth & Nail
Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry
Kiss' Hotter Than Hell

All of these have very dry, muffled sound. Years ago I used to think it was because I'd played my old cassette copies so much that they were worn out, but when I upgraded each of them to CD I realized nope, they always sounded that way.

They remixed this one a couple of years ago, and it does sound better.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Bad production/mix can actually be a good thing in some cases.  Bands like Venom, Bathory and Sodom had rough productions, but it gave their records a creepy atmosphere that I love.
That's kinda how I feel too. Not sure I'd like those bands with clear clean production.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 7:09 pm

There are actually quite a few for me.

Black Sabbath - Born Again
Dokken - Tooth and Nail
Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Edge of Sanity - Nothing But Death Remains
Megadeth - Killing is My Business
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Avenger of Blood - Complete Annihilation
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn

Suffocation were so unimpressed with how that album sounded, they've re-recorded six of the eight songs from that album on albums they've released since then. I'd imagine they'll re-record the two they haven't re-recorded yet on their next couple of albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 2:58 pm

Testament's The Legacy is an egregious example.

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Black Sabbath's Born Again.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 10:27 pm

Testament-The Legacy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Hadley wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Kix's Blow My Fuse

They remixed this one a couple of years ago, and it does sound better.

Yeah I know, but like all of the other albums I mentioned, I'm so used to the way it sounds now that a cleaned up remix/remaster would probably sound "wrong" to me Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2021 10:37 pm

All their albums sounds amazing...except for this one. It's just so weak in comparison, which is a shame because it's a fantastic album. =(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good albums, terrible production   Good albums, terrible production Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good albums, terrible production
Page 1 of 1