Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS

Go down 
+2
scottmitchell74
kmorg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Empty
PostSubject: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Iced Earth, Annihilator, Turisas - Rockefeller, Oslo October 22, 2007

The doors opened at 8pm, and Turisas opened the ball already half an hour later. I'd read about this band, but this was my first exposure to their music. If you've seen a picture of the band, you know the kind of music they play. And let me tell you, they dressed the part on stage too! This is folk metal mixed with Manowarish true metal. A female accordian player and the violinist set them apart from the crowd, as well as the bear skin clothes and war make-up! The music was ok, i guess, but they didn't win me over with their brand of ompa music, which they have dubbed Battle Metal. The crowd was still pretty thin, but most of the crowd had not come for the openers, so between songs you could hear the crowd conversating amongst themselves almost louder than the banter from the stage.

After Turisas there was a short pause for rigging and such. And while we stood there waiting, a short man, with grey hair and a long baird took place beside us. Dressed in Harley Davidson clothes from top to bottom, including fingerless gloves, the grandpa-like figure turned out to be Jon Schaeffer! So I got my ticket-stub signed, and took a picture with him (hope to post that on a later occation). He was very down to earth, and very cool to talk to.

Then it was time for Annihilator. Now I've been a fan of this band since Alice In Hell came out, but I've never caught them live before. So it was high time. The last time thet visited Norway they were opening for Trivium, and I was not interested in spending money to see them, so this was a much better opportunity. And despite Jeff being sick with s cold or a flu, and had fever and stuff, they still tore up the place! The crowd was getting much bigger as they opened up with King Of The Kill. They proceeded with Clown Parade and Operation Annihilation, from the latest album. Jeff sang both the opener, and OA. Other choce cuts included W.T.Y.D, Set The World On Fire, Never, Neverland and Alison Hell. The only downer was that they played a way to short set. They should have been co-headliners! And I must say that even though he don't look very metal, Dave Padden really sounded great live. Sadly Jeff has once more replaced some mebers, so the bass-player and the drummer were new to me.

After some more rigging, it was time for Iced Earth debut concert in Norway. Of course it all opened with an intro, and some opf the shorter interludes from the new album were played in between songs. The main focus of the show was also Framing Armageddon. They played Something Wicked (opener), A Charge To Keep, Ten Thousand Strong, and maybe 1 or 2 more I've forgotten. Tim is doing a great job, but his Halford scream get's old reeal quick, so I was a little hesitant to how it would sound with him on the older material. Jon himself sang Stormrider, and that was way cool. They also played, amongst other songs, The Hunter, Decleration Day, The Reckoning, Hold At All Costs, Burning Times and Melancholy (Holy Martyr). Everything sounded great, but I can't help to miss ol' Matt. He has way more charm and charisma, both in sound, and as a stage persona. Thank God we didn't get any shadow boxing though! lol

After the show I went up front to pick up a guy who ws gonna hitch a ride home with us. And there he was talking to Jeff Waters! He had been stading next to him for most of IE's set. So I got him to sing the ticket stub too. Sadly the battery in the camera was out, so now picture with him could be taken. Jeff said something about retuning to Norway in February, as openers for Megadeth! I'l be there for sure!

Last edited by on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I saw a YouTube clip of Jon singing "Stormrider" the other day and thought it was really cool. It made me wonder if maybe he's looking to take over the mic in the future. Doubtful, but you never know. I don't think his voice is good enough, though.

Turisas is a band I think I'd really dig, but they seem like a band that would be best heard on CD rather than live, sort of like Battlelore.

Anyway, cool review, bro! 🤘
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Great review....glad you were able to go!

Turisas are on my "want" list...especially the new one as I love this Folk/Viking/Battle metal stuff.....

Oh, and concerning Barlow....GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!! Razz Jee whiz, I've seen guys get over the 'love of their lives' faster than people have over Barlow....(unless maybe he is the love of you life?!?) Smile
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks! My bet is hat Mett Barlow is back in IE in less than a year. Wink

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Just curious....is that a "gut feeling" or have you heard/read something? I'd be interested in that, no doubt, but I have loved the "Ripper" era so it's no biggie to me either way.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:23 pm

kmorg wrote:
I don't know. That would be awesome, but I think Matt is for real, a man of his word. He's a cop, and he's likely to remain one.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:
I don't know. That would be awesome, but I think Matt is for real, a man of his word. He's a cop, and he's likely to remain one.

He's still doing the gig with Pyramaze, correct?

And while we're on the subject, just a gut feeling, but I don't see Ripper being with Iced Earth too much longer. I give him 1 more album tops. Look at the list of musicians Jon has worked with and then given the boot to over the years. I don't know if he's difficult to work with or just likes to mix things up, but don't be suprised when Tim is given his walking papers.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 4:04 pm

i am actually green with envy!

dont care for turisas but jeffs crew and jons crew would be awesome. annihilaotor shredded trivium to bits when i saw them and dave gimme a nod during triviums set which was cool
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 2:44 pm

I've no inside info on IE, but since Matt is back in the music business, I have a hunch.

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 3:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:

And while we're on the subject, just a gut feeling, but I don't see Ripper being with Iced Earth too much longer. I give him 1 more album tops. Look at the list of musicians Jon has worked with and then given the boot to over the years. I don't know if he's difficult to work with or just likes to mix things up, but don't be suprised when Tim is given his walking papers.

i would not be surprised if ripper stays actually . i like ie with ripper but then again i have no albums with matt barlow so i cant compare
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:

He is, but only because Pyramaze has decided to be more of a studio band from now on, opting to do a few festival shows each year only. So Matt will be able to do those shows. Other than that they're just going to record music together, which is sweet.

I tell ya, I was amazed when those pictures of Matt came out. But it made me respect him so much more. A lot of people "leave music," only to return a short while later. I expected the same. But to see that the dude actually was a cop, had shaved his head, and was playing in some goofy band that plays music for kids, singing about not doing drugs and whatnot—how can you not respect that?

So I don't forsee him coming back, unless it's for a band like Metallica, one where can make a living for his family—which is why he made the choice to become a cop.

Quote :
Tim seems like the kind of guy that could stay, the kind of singer who has that "hired gun" mentality. I don't think Jon is hard to work with, but Iced Earth is his band, his business, his life; he's the boss. I think he gives people the boot when they lose site of that. Not saying he's a dictator, but when you're the boss, you're the boss, you know? I think a lot of people in bands forget that. No offense to Tim, but I don't see him as having any issues with being a hired gun. It's a job, not a band, so to speak.

That said, I also don't think he'll be in the band much longer either. But I think Tim will make the decision to leave the band, not Jon. Like I said above, I think he's cool with Iced Earth being a job, but eventually he'll want a band. And Beyond Fear will likely be that band.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 pm

Here is a pic of Jon and me:

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Jon_and_me

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 2:43 pm

kmorg wrote:

And people wonder why Jon isn't thrashing like he used to. lol!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:20 pm

THATS WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE NOW!

full credit to the guy iced earth are awesome
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 pm

kmorg wrote:

Wow, he headbanged the color right outta his hair!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:15 am

It's still pretty amazing that he's kept the band going this long. I have nothing but respect for that man.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:55 am

Eyesore wrote:
It's still pretty amazing that he's kept the band going this long. I have nothing but respect for that man.

I agree. Despite the granpa biker looks, and the back problems, he is still rockin' like the best of 'em!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:23 am

Some Annihilator pictures from the show:

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Annihilator_Oslo_8

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Annihilator_Oslo_6

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:25 am

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Annihilator_Oslo_20

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Annihilator_Oslo_7

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Annihilator_Oslo_9

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 am

looks like jeff changed the bassist and drummer from when i saw them play
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Did you score a guitar pick kmorg?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Did you score a guitar pick kmorg?

No, but my friend got one from him. He asked him if he had one, and at first Jeff answer, no. But as Jeff was walking away, he suddenly returned and went, HEY, I found one in my pocket! lol

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 pm

That's cool.

I scored a RECON pick at Cornerstone.

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS   ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ICED EARTH / ANNIHILATOR / TURISAS
Page 1 of 1