Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An Open Letter to all Forum Members

Go down 
+18
mikeinfla
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Eyesore
exact33
Glower
James B.
manny
nevermore
brokentulsa
Troublezone
mc666
Wrecked Neck
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
now we can all get back to arguing whether Priest or Maiden are the best!
No argument, Priest by a landslide. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 5:56 pm

For me, it’s about a tie. There is no clear winner because both have made great and “not so good” albums. But if I was forced to choose... I would go with Maiden because everything from the Di’Anno and 80’s Bruce stuff is all great! They lost me with Blaze.

Same with Priest, except Ripper was actually great. It was the large doses of cheese lyrics and weird experimental detours that lost me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 6:56 pm

lol! I have started another argument!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 7:08 pm

It's clearly Priest for me.

I've just never been into Maiden very much. And I really can't explain why because Dickinson and Halford both screech in "typical metal vocal" fashion and both bands have some progressive tendencies. But for some reason I gravitate toward Priest much more than Maiden. In fact, I don't own any Maiden albums except for a few "Best Of" comps but I own 5 or 6 Priest albums (all early ones of course). So maybe my opinion is skewed simply by exposure but there are seriously very few Maiden songs I'd say I really like. "Two Minutes To Midnight" is probably my favorite but after that it gets really iffy for me.

So let's continue to take this thread down that vein exact started.

What Maiden songs should I hear that might make me change my mind?

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 pm

I'd normally choose Priest, but it's quite a tough call.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 12:31 am

tohostudios wrote:

I've just never been into Maiden very much.  And I really can't explain why because Dickinson and Halford both screech in "typical metal vocal" fashion and both bands have some progressive tendencies.  But for some reason I gravitate toward Priest much more than Maiden.  In fact, I don't own any Maiden albums except for a few "Best Of" comps but I own 5 or 6 Priest albums (all early ones of course).  So maybe my opinion is skewed simply by exposure but there are seriously very few Maiden songs I'd say I really like.  "Two Minutes To Midnight" is probably my favorite but after that it gets really iffy for me.

I don’t know... if you don’t already like some of the “best of” hits on your comps, you might just not like Maiden.

Here are some songs I like that are not the typical “hits”...

Running Free
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Gangland
Stranger in a Strange Land
Moonchild
Tailgunner
Judas Be My Guide
Ghost of the Navigator

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 1:13 am

(IMHDO)
Great studio albums by Priest...
RR, SWOD, SAS, SG, KM/HBFL, BS, SFV, DOTF, and AIR
Great studio albums by Maiden...
IM, K, NOTB, POM, P, and SIT
9 to 6, Priest for the win

By the way PK by Priest and SSOASS by Maiden are contrived boring albums that other bands of that time did better

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 am

James B. wrote:
(IMHDO)
Great studio albums by Priest...
RR, SWOD, SAS, SG, KM/HBFL, BS, SFV, DOTF, and AIR
Great studio albums by Maiden...
IM, K, NOTB, POM, P, and SIT
9 to 6, Priest for the win

By the way PK by Priest and SSOASS by Maiden are contrived boring albums that other bands of that time did better

Painkiller is boring? That’s the first I’ve ever heard that! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:50 am

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I've just never been into Maiden very much.  And I really can't explain why because Dickinson and Halford both screech in "typical metal vocal" fashion and both bands have some progressive tendencies.  But for some reason I gravitate toward Priest much more than Maiden.  In fact, I don't own any Maiden albums except for a few "Best Of" comps but I own 5 or 6 Priest albums (all early ones of course).  So maybe my opinion is skewed simply by exposure but there are seriously very few Maiden songs I'd say I really like.  "Two Minutes To Midnight" is probably my favorite but after that it gets really iffy for me.

I don’t know... if you don’t already like some of the “best of” hits on your comps, you might just not like Maiden.

Running Free
Die With You Boots On
Gangland
Moonchild
Tailgunner
Judas Be My Guide
Ghost of the Navigator

I'd add Be Quick Or Be Dead to the list. One of the best metal songs ever headbanger headbanger.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 am

Troublezone wrote:
Painkiller is boring? That’s the first I’ve ever heard that!  Laughing very hard

The "contrived" before "boring" gives context, other bands were doing that style of metal before Priest got their new wind up toy (Scott Travis) and did it better (IMHDO) The bombastic cheesy lyrical content was a bit much, even for 80's era Priest standards. Increasing tempo and over processed vocal screams, do not automatically make a great album. Agian, (IMHDO)

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Toho, get Maidens Piece of Mind. If Revelations and Still Life doesn’t make you a fan nothing will.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:18 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Painkiller is boring? That’s the first I’ve ever heard that!  Laughing very hard

The "contrived" before "boring" gives context, other bands were doing that style of metal before Priest got their new wind up toy (Scott Travis) and did it better (IMHDO) The bombastic cheesy lyrical content was a bit much, even for 80's era Priest standards. Increasing tempo and over processed vocal screams, do not automatically make a great album. Agian, (IMHDO)

Many people believe that Deep Purple did the “Rock and Rolla” style before and better. I find that album derivative and unoriginal. We can let that slide being it was their first album... they didn’t really have an identity until Sad Wings. I don’t believe Painkiller was contrived in a bad way. The band was getting better as musicians and wanted to step their game up. Sure the thrash scene influenced them, but when you’ve done the same blues based metal for almost 20 years, sometimes you want to spice things up and add some modern and current flavor. It happens all the time. Not everyone needs to stay in the same place forever like AC/DC and Motörhead. Look how Pantera evolved. They kept getting heavier each album. Why not Priest?

I’m glad you do always add the IMHO after your comments. Because that’s really what it is for all of us... opinions.

Btw... Scott Travis kicks ass! Much better than Dave Holland. Didn’t they even use a drum machine on Ram It Down because Holland couldn’t play the way they wanted.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Running Free
Die With You Boots On
Gangland
Moonchild
Tailgunner
Judas Be My Guide
Ghost of the Navigator

I'd add Be Quick Or Be Dead to the list. One of the best metal songs ever headbanger headbanger.

I agree. But I was trying to suggest some less talked about songs that may not be on his greatest hits comps.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 pm

mc666 wrote:
I generally avoid threads about politics, religion, bands I find to be shitty, and any threads started by that Saxon guy. I don't troll, so topics I find uninteresting I just keep my distance.

For those who enjoy it, have at it.

What a swell guy. Nice to see Monte is above us all.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 8:08 pm

And....
Hell Bent For Leather/Killers? A paradox if there ever was one
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 12:44 am

Troublezone wrote:
Btw... Scott Travis kicks ass! Much better than Dave Holland. Didn’t they even use a drum machine on Ram It Down because Holland couldn’t play the way they wanted.

What Scott plays on "Painkiller" is basically an extension of the drum solo he was doing with Hawk back in like 85. Typical metal drummer stuff of the time that everybody else was doing, including me.

(IMHDO) Holland played tastier stuff with Trapeze than anything with Priest, and also (IMHDO)... The best drummer Priest ever had was Les Binks.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 12:49 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
And....
Hell Bent For Leather/Killers?   A paradox if there ever was one

Always thought "Paradox" was a German speed metal band and a Christian metal band from Texas?

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 10:43 am

Priest and it's not even close. They invented the modern image of metal and laid the groundwork for all that followed. Maiden was great but I find their post reunion albums to be boring for the most part. I'd take just about any Priest album from Retribution on over any Maiden album from the same time period. Nostradamus is a giant turd though.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Just do a poll and find out. For real.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 2:15 pm

I honestly don't get why they are compared with each other so much. Their music is nothing alike. Same country is about all they really have in common. It's like comparing Slayer to Motley Crue. Both Maiden and Priest are great bands, but comparing them is pointless IMO.

That said, Priest is still best, and it's not even close! lol!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 4:43 pm

I don't think any of the two is "better" than the other. Both are great, each in its own way and style.

I got into Priest and Maiden through two songs, Painkiller and Be Quick Or Be Dead. Never looked back.

Two monster bands. Hope they will still be around for years to come headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 pm

“Better” is an opinion. I’m sure Glenn and KK can’t play like Smith and Murray (and vice versa). Harris is more upfront and flashy compared to Ian Hill...
Who cares? Both bands are great!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 11:17 pm

We need a new album my Iron Maiden. It's about time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 am

Gilbert wrote:

I wish they would ease back on the bloated prog and return to the straight forward songs.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 am

Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I wish they would ease back on the bloated prog and return to the straight forward songs.

True.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Open Letter to all Forum Members   An Open Letter to all Forum Members - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Open Letter to all Forum Members
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next