Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Worst Motorhead Album

Go down 
+8
MetalGuy71
Glower
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
Wrecked Neck
the sentinel
stormspell
Witchfinder
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

The Worst Motorhead Album Empty
PostSubject: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Okay folks, pick one and ONLY ONE Motorhead album as their worst. Explain yourselves.

Ready? Go.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm

For me it's 1992's March Or Die. From the guest appearances of Ozzy and Slash, to the crap album cover, to the sterile production and the so-so songs, this was Motorhead at the worst. Luckily, 1993's Bastards stomped this mediocre crap into the ground.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm going to discredit myself big time, but for me, there are two bands throughout their careers have been copy/pasting the same album over and over: AC/DC and Motorhead... What I'm trying to say is, there cannot be best or worst Motorhead album, they are either all the best, or all the worst... hope this makes sense
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Motorhead is actually more diverse than most people give them credit for and there has been progression in their sound over the years.  But I think a lot of people only listen to surface and don't really focus enough to notice.

March Or Die.  Too slick, too calculated, uninspired.

Last edited by S.D. on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 pm

I am about 3 shy on the whole discography, so I am going to defer to my slightly older but much wiser Metal brothers and make it a hat trick for March or Die. The cover of Cat Scratch Fever is just terrible.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 12:50 am

Sadly I really don't have enough of their cd's to name the worse one. Out of the ones I own I'd have to say Inferno, and tgat album kicks major ass. I'm currently working on getting them all, but its going to be a slow process. I made the mistake of buying the Stone Deaf Forever boxset and lat tgat be my main motorhead fix. I had axfew if their other studio albums, but nowhere near enough. Been a fan if theirs since the 80's but just been lazy getting all the music. I'm on a mission now though and will have them all by years end! \m/
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:17 am

Witchfinder wrote:
For me it's 1992's March Or Die.  From the guest appearances of Ozzy and Slash, to the crap album cover, to the sterile production and the so-so songs, this was Motorhead at the worst.  Luckily, 1993's Bastards stomped this mediocre crap into the ground.  

You nailed it! This is always an obvious choice with me as well. It's not awful by any means, but I also think it's a product of its time. The music scene was changing, bands were jumping on the, "hey look what Metallica was able to do on the Black album." Let's see if we can do the same thing and become a little more accessible to a market we haven't been able to tap. Don't get me wrong, Motörhead was still Motörhead, BUT that whole collaboration back and forth between Ozzy/Zakk/Slash and Lemmy was not a good thing. On paper it seemed interesting until the final product was unleashed.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:19 am

the sentinel wrote:
I am about 3 shy on the whole discography, so I am going to defer to my slightly older but much wiser Metal brothers and make it a hat trick for March or Die. The cover of Cat Scratch Fever is just terrible.

Haha, you and I are in the same boat. I've got all but three, but I've listened to everything. Having said that, "March or Die" is easily the worst. Yes again to "Scratch Cat Fever" being terrible!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37655

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 am

My Motorhead collection is far from complete, but of the dozen or so of their CDs I do own I'm actually gonna go with Orgasmatron. Aside from the title track the rest of that record is just blah... and at the risk of sounding like S.D. (haha), the production on that album is godawful. Even the "remastered" version that I own sounds like mud.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
My Motorhead collection is far from complete, but of the dozen or so of their CDs I do own I'm actually gonna go with Orgasmatron. Aside from the title track the rest of that record is just blah... and at the risk of sounding like S.D. (haha), the production on that album is godawful. Even the "remastered" version that I own sounds like mud.

I don't love the production, but I don't hate the production. I would take this type of production over an over produced album any day of the week. That being said, the lead guitars are really buried in the mix.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 6:00 pm

For some reason - I never bought the 1916 release - never understood that - a date ?
Motorhead have a LOT of songs out there though....like the Ramones -
Cat Scratch - made me dislike Motorhead for years....
I loved Craddle To Grave intro to Decline Of Western Civilization movie -
his book was ok....a real tough gritty hard drinking living guy -
Dee Snider had some MAJOR props for Lemmy in his 'Give me Mic' book -
but I'm with Stormspell - if you're on a deserted Island - doesn't matter Cool

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Glower wrote:
For some reason - I never bought the 1916 release - never understood that - a date ?

The title track is about WWI.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm

I'd say that the last couple of albums have been pretty lackluster. They were already on their way out two decades ago.

Aside from On Parole and possibly Rock 'n' Roll, the albums released between 1979 and 1991 are goldmines.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:32 pm

For reasons I don't understand myself, I still have not been able to warm-up to Overnight Sensation. Something about that album just never clicked with me. While classifying it as their worst seems a tad unfair, I'll just say it's my "least listened to" and leave it at that.

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Overnight Sensation is one of those records where the production is too glossy for the music and it's just kind of a weird match. Hammered is another one like that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
Overnight Sensation is one of those records where the production is too glossy for the music and it's just kind of a weird match.  Hammered is another one like that.  

Maybe. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. I bought it as a new release, ditched it awhile later and re-bought it to fill in my discography. I've heard some songs from it in a playlist, but I can't remember the last time I played it front-to-back.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 pm

S.D. wrote:
Glower wrote:

and one of my favorite Motorhead albums. The Worst Motorhead Album 604261
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Glower wrote:

and one of my favorite Motorhead albums. The Worst Motorhead Album 604261

1916 will always hold a special place in my heart. While my initial introduction to Motorhead was the No Remorse comp album, 1916 was the first Motorhead album of original music I bought as a new release. I can still remember going into Tower Records for it. It was probably the first Motorhead album I bought in the cd format as well.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:34 pm

March Or Die. The songs were pretty weak. And it was a little too slick for Motorhead.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 am

Man, I feel like I do this in every thread...or maybe because of the recent Alice Cooper thread but...March or Die is one of my favorite Motorhead albums.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 am

I find the hate for March or Die pretty funny as that was the first exposure I had to Motorhead, so I have nothing but fond feelings for it.

That said, my exposure to the band is my collection: Ace of Spades, Overkill and March or Die. If I had heard the discography in order of release, my opinion may be different.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

stormspell wrote:
What I'm trying to say is, there cannot be best or worst Motorhead album, they are either all the best, or all the worst...

The Worst Motorhead Album 927150

Lemmy has some amazing lyrics - first and foremost.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
For me it's 1992's March Or Die.  From the guest appearances of Ozzy and Slash, to the crap album cover, to the sterile production and the so-so songs, this was Motorhead at the worst.  Luckily, 1993's Bastards stomped this mediocre crap into the ground.  

I recently re-visited March or Die and I dunno, I still don't think it's that bad. Far from great or classic, but not the dog folks make it out to be.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 6:51 am

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 8:55 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

You nailed it! This is always an obvious choice with me as well. It's not awful by any means, but I also think it's a product of its time. The music scene was changing, bands were jumping on the, "hey look what Metallica was able to do on the Black album." Let's see if we can do the same thing and become a little more accessible to a market we haven't been able to tap. Don't get me wrong, Motörhead was still Motörhead, BUT that whole collaboration back and forth between Ozzy/Zakk/Slash and Lemmy was not a good thing. On paper it seemed interesting until the final product was unleashed.

Very well put. 1992-93 was a weird time for a lot of established bands. Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath are few that come to mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Motorhead Album   The Worst Motorhead Album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Worst Motorhead Album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next