Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
mikeinfla
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Lurideath
glassprison
Glower
nevermore
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
tohostudios
Lari
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Big Rich
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 12:15 pm

My teenage years certainly had rules when it pertained to curfews, studies and how I conducted myself in front of adults. What it didn't have, were restrictions as it pertained to music and the umbrella of bible thumping parents warning me about the dangers of heavy metal music. No pun intended, but Thank God! Whenever I read one of these stores, I cringe and want to vomit, as I find that to be beyond revolting. My parents were not a fan of my music either, but I never felt stifled when it came to self-discovery of music and how it became a tapestry of my teenage existence. On many occasions, I would hear the, "Turn it down", but that was a badge of honor for me, as it was a boundary I enjoyed pushing.

Fat Freddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Old man was a biker, my momma an RN. I am the baby of 6 and the older siblings pretty much raised me/tried to keep me out of trouble. What we did never mattered unless it brought police to the house, then it did. I guess they equated what I listened to with what we were playing in the garage/keg parties/local dives? My brother was killed at an Ozzy concert in 82 in a crosswalk going from The Swing to the parking lot after the show (Motorhead opened) It made my momma kinda/sorta trip on the whole lifestyle and she gave me tonz of crap for trying to be a rockstar. Thankfully she outgrew that resentment.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Why would there be more of a chance of them having a negative attitude towards it compared to anything else? They acknowledged my interest and funded tickets for concerts and stuff for my brother and I.

See this is why my comment was more towards Gen Xers. He doesn't even understand the question.

Admittedly, I responded to the headline without reading your initial post, which wasn't the best move. I do understand the context, though - it's very hard for me to picture it, it must have been extremely frustrating - though I will say, that it probably was less of an issue for European parents in general versus their American counterparts, but that's just my theory.

INo problem, man. I forget everybody here isn't from the US.

In the US we had a high level of a fear of satanism in the 80s  and metal was included in that. Seems like most parents weren't fallng for it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Why would there be more of a chance of them having a negative attitude towards it compared to anything else? They acknowledged my interest and funded tickets for concerts and stuff for my brother and I.

See this is why my comment was more towards Gen Xers. He doesn't even understand the question.

Admittedly, I responded to the headline without reading your initial post, which wasn't the best move. I do understand the context, though - it's very hard for me to picture it, it must have been extremely frustrating - though I will say, that it probably was less of an issue for European parents in general versus their American counterparts, but that's just my theory.

In the US we had a high level of a fear of satanism in the 80s  and metal was included in that. Seems like most parents weren't fallng for it.

The good ol' Satanic Panic.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I never heard of anyone in my circle having any problems with it, thankfully.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 6:01 pm

My mother was/is a fundamentalist Christian fanatic.. Take a guess how she felt about my metal ways Laughing very hard
We  are all devil worshipers and christian metal is even worse than secular metal because it mocks God specifically... That pretty much sums it up... oh yeah, I haven't seen her in years...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?   How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did your parents feel about your metal fandom when you were a teenager?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2