Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*

Go down 
+19
jstate
Gilbert
7thSaviour
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Ben Grimm
MEGATRON
Metal Misfit
Addy
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
thejokeriv
snooloui
tohostudios
manny
Schbopo
Eyesore
Metallic Blaze
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:17 pm

I know that many here probably hate this band. Sure they probably like their first few albums, but after that - not so much.

How about you? Do you like them? All their stuff?

Also, have you noticed that Def Leppard has never released a live album? Very odd for a band who's been around this long, don't ya think?

I was cranking their Greatest Hits album today - and I realized how much I really like this band. Overplayed or not.

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Deflepphoto
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I've always thought In The Round - In Your Face would have made a great live album.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Love all their stuff, from the NWOBHM years to the sugary MTV years. Like it all, no matter how fluffy, lame, boring, overproduced or overplayed it is.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:21 pm

I think Def Leppard is a great band, and when I was 13 one of my favorites. Def Leppard may have broke out of the NWOBHM but from the beginning they also had a pop melodies.

I do not really care for the 'X' album and few songs off 'Euphoria' are not very good but for the most part I like a majority of their discography and I thought 'Songs from the Sparkle Lounge' was a great album.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Actually contrary to many a metalhead, my two favorite Def Leppard albums are:

1. Hysteria (yes, it's commercial, poppy and overplayed -- but I like it!!!)
2. Pyromania

I actually thought they sounded best when they got more pop-oriented.

Then I'd place their other ones here:

3. Adrenalize
4. High N Dry
5. On Through the Night

I need to get the rest of their stuff.

I saw them live last summer-- and I left pretty impressed with the band, overall. They were spot-on and put on a great show. One of the best hard rock shows I've seen actually.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I've always thought In The Round - In Your Face would have made a great live album.

Agree, I am going to buy the remastered and expanded version of Def Leppard for bonus 1983 live show.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 pm

I love On Through The Night and High And Dry. Pyromania is good enough.

After that...meh.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:06 pm

They're a great band. Though their recent material isn't too great, their first few albums are brilliant. They get so much abuse from 'real metal' people, but I'm not one for labelling bands.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Always been a fan - their latter stuff is hit or miss, but some good songs thrown in the mix. The only album by them I hate is Slang and that is the only one I don't have. My top 5 Def Lep albums:

1. Hysteria
2. Pyromania
3. High N Dry
4. On Through The Night
5. Yeah!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:55 pm

I like everything up to Hysteria. My favorite is High N Dry.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Great band up to and including PYROMANIA. Everything since then has been varying degrees of suck.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Hysteria is my # 1 fav for Def Leppard

Adrenelize would probobly be my 2nd fav but no where near the awesomeness thats Hysteria
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm

One of my favorite bands. I like their early works and LOVE the slick polished sound they became known for. X and Songs from the Sparkle Lounge are big disappointments and I've never heard Slang, but everything else is good (including Yeah!).

Great live act too. Saw them this past summer in Clarkston (Detroit). Amazing show.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm not a big fan of them. I have lots of respect for the drummer though.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Nothing after Hystreia have I liked, they were great before that. I suspect that Steve Clark was a bigger part of the magic that this band has been missing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:04 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Always been a fan - their latter stuff is hit or miss, but some good songs thrown in the mix. The only album by them I hate is Slang and that is the only one I don't have. My top 5 Def Lep albums:

1. Hysteria
2. Pyromania
3. High N Dry
4. On Through The Night
5. Yeah!

Same top two!

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* 604261
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 am

I have Pyromania and I just couldnt get into it Outside of Photograph, Rock of Ages, and Foolin I cant see all the hubbub is about

I Have X I have yet to open it and listen to it though I got it for 3.99 years ago
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 am

Addy wrote:
I have Pyromania and I just couldnt get into it Outside of Photograph, Rock of Ages, and Foolin I cant see all the hubbub is about

I Have X I have yet to open it and listen to it though I got it for 3.99 years ago

Die Hard The Hunter is totally METAL!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 am

My Top 3 albums from them are:

1. Pyromaia
2. Hysteria
3. Slang

I think they're a very good Rock band. These days, I think Joe Elliot is a whiny git who thinks of himself higher than he ought. But by the same token, I can't fugure out why they don't enjoy the same current/ongoing success as Bon Jovi or Aerosmith.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 am

My favorites:

1. On Through The Night
2. High N Dry
3. Hysteria
4. Pyromania
5. Adrenalize

After that I don't really like anything 'cept a couple of songs on Euphoria.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

1. Pyromaia
2. Hysteria
3. Slang

I think they're a very good Rock band. These days, I think Joe Elliot is a whiny git who thinks of himself higher than he ought. But by the same token, I can't fugure out why they don't enjoy the same current/ongoing success as Bon Jovi or Aerosmith.

I can't figure that out either, maybe because they got lumped into the hair/pop metal genre and they did win over enough soccer moms like Bon Jovi did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

1. Pyromaia
2. Hysteria
3. Slang

I can't figure that out either, maybe because they got lumped into the hair/pop metal genre and they did win over enough soccer moms like Bon Jovi did.

Bon Jovi was as much of a "poster child" for Hair Metal as anyone and yet they managed to maintain themselves more successfully than Def Leppard did...they had thier lean years, but overall managed to still have at least a minor US hit on every album they released...DL has had no such luck and their music is at least just as good as anything BJ has done in the last 15 years...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:10 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

1. Pyromaia
2. Hysteria
3. Slang

Bon Jovi was as much of a "poster child" for Hair Metal as anyone and yet they managed to maintain themselves more successfully than Def Leppard did...they had thier lean years, but overall managed to still have at least a minor US hit on every album they released...DL has had no such luck and their music is at least just as good as anything BJ has done in the last 15 years...

Again I agree, and it is a mystery to me, but I guess it is like you said, Bon Jovi has had hits , however minor some of those hits may have been, where Def Leppard has not always had such luck.

I think Def Leppard's fortunes have changed for the better the last few years, Taylor Swift had them as a her guest artists on the show 'Crossroads' which I am sure helped Def Leppard move a few units and I believe their greatest hits album 'Vault' has gone or almost gone to diamond status as far as sales.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 am

I have several Def Leppard albums sitting on a shelf waiting to be added to my NLTM site. I can't manage to sit through one of them all the way through. I think I have Sparkle Lounge, Slang and one or two others.

I haven't loved any album they have done since Pyromania, though I did quite enjoy their cover album a few years ago. Their first three albums are classic hard rock/metal albums IMO. After that, they went on a downward spiral into pop. While they claim to have always been pop, I much prefer that raw rock and roll "pop" they were doing early on.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 am

I'm in the "great coupla early albums, then spotty, then terrible" opinion. I did like the cover album they put out.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next