Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's rank Judas Priest, #11

Go down 
+6
Troublezone
Gilbert
glassprison
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Lari
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which one of these is best?
Rocka Rolla (1974)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Turbo (1986)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Ram It Down (1988)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap53%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 53% [ 9 ]
Jugulator (1997)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Demolition (2001)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Angel of Retribution (2005)
 6% [ 1 ]
Nostradamus (2008)
 6% [ 1 ]
Redeemer of Souls (2014)
Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 am

Lari wrote:
I really like the production on Redeemer of Souls. Maybe because it doesn't sound so modern and samey. It's easy on the ears, alive, and stands out among an army of polished, lifeless, loud guitar walls of today's metal.

The guitars could be a tad louder (especially Tipton's), but I think I like it the way it is. I don't feel exhausted after listening to Redeemer.

It sounds muffled to me. Scott’s bass drums are especially buried.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 am

Troublezone wrote:
The production is terrible on Redeemer of Souls. Tipton was the producer. Firepower was 100% better with Tom Allom and Andy Sneap involved.

Yes i have to agree on this.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 am

I went with Ram It Down
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 10:11 am

Troublezone wrote:
Lari wrote:
I really like the production on Redeemer of Souls. Maybe because it doesn't sound so modern and samey. It's easy on the ears, alive, and stands out among an army of polished, lifeless, loud guitar walls of today's metal.

The guitars could be a tad louder (especially Tipton's), but I think I like it the way it is. I don't feel exhausted after listening to Redeemer.

You probably don't like 80's thrash metal, if you're that picky.
lol!

I don't think anything is "buried" though. It's all there. Just quite flat so you can adjust your amp and EQ settings to your liking. I'm not a fan of a big booming disproportionate bass, but you can dial it up. If the bass is emphasized, you can't really turn it down though so this is a better approach, imo.

Redeemer has two things I really appreciate: a unique sounding production and a shit load of songs. It's a tempting album to pop in because of those two things. It doesn't blend in with their other material. And there's so many songs to choose from to get a fresh sounding listening experience each time.

Charlie Bauerfiend produced albums for instance sound powerful and flawless but too samey. Later era Helloween albums could all be recorded in the same session.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 am

Either way I think a production is just a very small factor. If the songs are good, you can record them in a garage and it sounds good. Just like a lot of classic underground metal albums essentially are.

Redeemer of Souls has a real nice collection of Priest songs, of which many would be classics if they were released 40 years ago. March of the Damned, Hell and Back, Battle Cry are some of their best work. Cold Blooded is cool. I love Crossfire. Catchy and heavy and cool guitar harmonies.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Lari wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lari wrote:

You probably don't like 80's thrash metal, if you're that picky.
lol!

I don't think anything is "buried" though. It's all there. Just quite flat so you can adjust your amp and EQ settings to your liking. I'm not a fan of a big booming disproportionate bass, but you can dial it up. If the bass is emphasized, you can't really turn it down though so this is a better approach, imo.

Redeemer has two things I really appreciate: a unique sounding production and a shit load of songs. It's a tempting album to pop in because of those two things. It doesn't blend in with their other material. And there's so many songs to choose from to get a fresh sounding listening experience each time.

Charlie Bauerfiend produced albums for instance sound powerful   and flawless but too samey. Later era Helloween albums could all be recorded in the same session.

You couldn’t be more wrong!  Laughing

Kill ‘Em All (for example) is old thrash but it had clear and punchy production. Not every 80’s thrash album sounded bad. But generally speaking, I did get into thrash around 1990 when the productions were improving. You can disagree with me about Redeemer, but it’s just my opinion and I have standards. I got nothing against the songwriting though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Judas Priest, #11   Let's rank Judas Priest, #11 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's rank Judas Priest, #11
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2