Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.

Go down 
+5
Lari
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Empty
PostSubject: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 am

I just gave Believer’s Gabriel album a spin after a long while and I like it much better this time.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 am

Faith no more, the real thing comes to mind. I bought it (well stole it) on cassette tape way back when I heard they were opening for the upcoming Metallica ...and Justice for all tour. Put it in my tape deck and was just pissed that a band like them were opening for, what at that time was my favorite band in the world. They didn't deserve to share the same stage as Metallica. What a shit album!

Years later I think I heard it at a friend's house, and thought, actually not bad. I think the shock of how different they were from Metallica just threw me off on my first listen, so I never gave it a chance. Now it's still a great album I listen to once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Everything by Rush. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Most recently it was "Born Into This" by the Cult. I never thought much of that album, but after I saw them live last Dec. I started revisiting all of my Cult CDs, and it suddenly "clicked" with me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 4:17 pm

I already played Fight for the Rock, and it didn't help. But I do find the Edge of Midnight real good.

I also played Strange Highways, and it went down better. Especially the second half of the disc that I haven't been able to enjoy much before.

I have a few others I've been meaning to spin. Saxon's Destiny is one. Recently I had a random playlist going on (Google Play) and S.O.S. popped up and I found that great. I need to give the whole record a fresh spin.

There's probably a bunch of others, but those are major band releases that first popped to mind after reading the topic title.

Oh, and Voodoo Vibes by Axxis. I do like it anyway, but I happened to catch in a good, receptive mood (intoxicated), and it rocked.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Meliah Rage's Dead to the world. First time i heard it, i was left disappointed, although i had been looking for the album for a long time.

Gave it a fresh spin today, while working from home. Quite an interesting listen, after all.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 7:01 pm

The first that comes to mind is Metallica's Black album. I played it a ton my junior into senior year of high school and outside of "Enter Sandman" and "Through the Never" it just never clicked. A few years back I decided to spin the 1990's Metallica stuff to see if I would feel differently, and the Black album certainly moved up a few notches. But, Load and Reload still blow in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:57 am

It’s funny. I do want to toss CDs because they just aren’t that good.
You revisit them. And the moods the same. So why not ! POW !
I like to think of my metal collection as fine tune.
I do remember, back in the late 80s, giving Sword “ metalized “ to a pal in NH.
It didn’t do anything for me.
3-4 weeks later we met up and he was so happy I gave him the album.
We partied. Other pals were there. They already partied to the album once or twice.
Rebought it. It was a huge album to party to - for the next 3 months.
We then saw them in concert. Small club. Boston.
They opened for someone. But we were the only ones up front.
My friends - met other friends of mine - who loved the album.
It was like a private concert !
Rick Hughs even went to the bar after their set. Great guy.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Glower wrote:
It’s funny. I do want to toss CDs because they just aren’t that good.
You revisit them. And the moods the same. So why not ! POW !
I like to think of my metal collection as fine tune.
I do remember, back in the late 80s, giving Sword “ metalized “ to a pal in NH.
It didn’t do anything for me.
3-4 weeks later we met up and he was so happy I gave him the album.
We partied. Other pals were there. They already partied to the album once or twice.
Rebought it. It was a huge album to party to - for the next 3 months.
We then saw them in concert. Small club. Boston.
They opened for someone. But we were the only ones up front.
My friends - met other friends of mine - who loved the album.
It was like a private concert !
Rick Hughs even went to the bar after their set. Great guy.

headbanger That's such a killer album!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 11:56 pm

I remember when these 6-7 people parties got absolutely wild -
and SWORD got tossed on - it went over the top - dark - fun - passionate.
Even the gals knew the tunes - esp Stoned Again - or Where To Hide -
Then the concert - we all knew - we had to be there - too many good times not to show up.
They opened with Sweet Dreams - of all songs.
I remember the guitar player was left handed. Singer, drummer, we’re brothers.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 9:12 am

I've done the entire Nightwish discography lately and there were two albums I never liked:

Angels Fall First
- I actually enjoyed hearing this again. It has aged well and my view of it improved greatly. I still don't think Lappi is that interesting, but most of the other tracks are fine. Some even real, real good.

Imaginaerum
- nope. Still don't like it. Ghost River is great, the first half of Song of Myself is good and the instrumental closer is neat, but the rest I can't get into. The opener is their worst opener ever, and Slow Love Slow is their worst song ever. I Want My Tears Back is just irritating because of the folky pipes. Last Ride of the Day? Mediocre. This might be worse than the new one. I've not made up my mind.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Faith no more, the real thing comes to mind. I bought it (well stole it) on cassette tape way back when I heard they were opening for the upcoming Metallica ...and Justice for all tour. Put it in my tape deck and was just pissed that a band like them were opening for, what at that time was my favorite band in the world. They didn't deserve to share the same stage as Metallica. What a shit album!

Years later I think I heard it at a friend's house, and thought, actually not bad. I think the shock of how different they were from Metallica just threw me off on my first listen, so I never gave it a chance. Now it's still a great album I listen to once in a while.

I liked that album right away upon first listen. I had seen the “Epic” video on headbanger’s ball and thought it was different and cool! Back then around 1990, I was into a variety of stuff... hair metal, thrash, alternative rock. The summer before I started high school I remember buying the cassettes for Facelift by Alice In Chains, Mother’s Milk by RHCP and the single for Depeche Mode’s Policy of Truth.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2020 5:22 pm

I have listened to Nirvana's records multiple times over the years trying to give them a chance...still cant stand them Razz
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2020 5:38 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I have listened to Nirvana's records multiple times over the years trying to give them a chance...still cant stand them Razz
That's me too. My wife's favourite band of all time. I've gone through the entire discography and all several times... I can find some tracks I like, but mostly it's just "I'd rather do something else than listen to this" -category. And some tracks are plain awful, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.   Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revisiting albums you didn’t care for the first time.
Page 1 of 1