Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you

Go down 
+30
RevBilly6207
Lurideath
Rex
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
kmorg
candlemass
scottmitchell74
Mordor
Gilbert
Am I Evil?
James B.
Troublezone
mc666
Leatherface
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
Thrasher73
jstate
sam
Stender
MetalRob331
XYZ
Smindas
Mglaffas81
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
manny
Schbopo
tohostudios
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Empty
PostSubject: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you thought.

For me the first one that comes to mind is Metallica - Load. hated it after one spin and never listened to it again.

Stryper - Against The Law like it, but not as much as the ones before it.

Megadeth - Countdown. once again, it was okay, but nothing like i was hoping. RIp and Youth re much better, imo.

deliverance - As abobe - So below. I'm not sure i even made it through this one. then again, not sure why i was even looking so forward to it. I'm mostly a fan of their earlier stuff.You?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Therion - Gothic Kaballah

Coming after the masterpiece that is Lemuria/Sirius B, I was really stoked for the followup.

What I wasn't prepared for was such a radical shift to a 70s prog metal sound. To this day I despise that album.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Megadeth-The System Has Failed. Had a few good songs, the rest sucked.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Alice Cooper-Trash, I was really happy that Alice had made a big commerical comeback, but the album sounded like a Desmond Child album (producer and co songwriter) than a real Alice album.

Black Sabbath-Forbidden- I liked Tony Martin years, but this album to me was a complete mess, no spark, no dynamics, just flat out disappointment.

Deep Purple-House of Blue Light-since this has been released my view has softened and now I donot mind the album, but when it was first released I could not believe that this was follow up to Perfect Strangers, a complete disappointment, again an album aimed at American rock radio and this was not natural fit for this line up.

Metallica-St Anger-Pre release hype to this was it was a return to form, heaviest album since Ride blah blah blah, it was anything but a return to form, I spin it once in awhile but not their finest hour.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm

HELSTAR - King of Hell
TESTAMENT - Formation of Damnation, The Ritual
MEGADETH - United Abominations

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 pm

The 1st one that comes to mind is:

Nevermore - Year of the Voyager

I've always been sorta lukewarm on live albums in general, but since these guys are one of my favorite bands, I bought this sight unseen. I couldn't wait for it. And then when I actually heard it I was so disappointed. It's not that it's a bad live album, but it's just so by-the-numbers, contractual obligation feel that bummed me out.

Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon-Something Wicked Part 1 is another one. There aren't too many bands that I rush out and buy on the "day of" release date anymore. I remember going to Best Buy on my lunch break that day to pick this up and man, what a let down it turned out to be. So much in fact, that it kinda soured me on the whole band. I'll still listen to their old stuff, but until Jon loses that orchestral stuff, I'm done with these guys, Barlow or not.

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider

Motorhead - Kiss of Death, Motorizer

Saint - Crime Scene Earth

Meliah Rage - The Deep and Dreamless Sleep
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider

Motorhead - Kiss of Death, Motorizer

Saint - Crime Scene Earth

Meliah Rage - The Deep and Dreamless Sleep

Knew you were going to write "Along Came a Spider" - But why?

You being an Alice die-hard, I thought you might not be so harsh on it. Do you just dislike the overall sound he started with "Brutal Planet" ?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 pm

[quote="SpectreFate"]Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider

I have that new Alice CD at home, I kind of like it but not as well as his last few releases, the songs just donot seem as strong to me, so you add this album to my list of disappoints as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Along Came A Spider is just weak all around. I don't like the style of the music on that album, whatever label can be applied to it. I love everything by Alice except Spider and Trash. It sucks that he made both of those albums, but he can't knock it out of the park every time.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Iced Earth's Crucible of Man. It's not a bad album, but it gets pretty boring. Matt's voice is phenomenal, but the album is not.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

GNR - Chinese Democracy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I'll add:

Megadeth - Risk (hated it at 1st, found a few songs I sorta like now)
Metallica - St. Anger (sucked then, sucks now)
Anthrax - Stomp 442 (although I've since changed my opinion on that one)

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden (I like Ripper but IE changed there sound too much to fit Rippers vocals)

Machine Head - The Blackening (all the hype of its a modern day Master of Puppets couldn't help that its juat an ok release)

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah (same reasons as Toho)

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (I dont mind Annette although I prefer Tarja, this album had 3 great songs and the rest filler)

I can actually say this is the case for most albums. If you love an album most of the time you will be some what disappointed by the one that follows as it is too hard to make back to back masterpieces.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Hammerfall-Threshold

The first HF record I ever heard was Chapter V, so I was expecting something like that but it didnt happen so I was a little put out for awhile.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 6:04 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden (I like Ripper but IE changed there sound too much to fit Rippers vocals)
I agree with this choice but for a different reason. I don't think the problem was that Iced Earth changed their sound. On the contrary, I think it was that they didn't change their sound enough to fit Rippers vocals. Those songs were written with Matt's voice in mind, not Tim's. Framing Armageddon was written for Tim's vocals and as such, works much better. I also just happen to think The Glorious Burden is a bit boring for the most part.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 6:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon-Something Wicked Part 1 is another one. There aren't too many bands that I rush out and buy on the "day of" release date anymore. I remember going to Best Buy on my lunch break that day to pick this up and man, what a let down it turned out to be. So much in fact, that it kinda soured me on the whole band. I'll still listen to their old stuff, but until Jon loses that orchestral stuff, I'm done with these guys, Barlow or not.

same here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Queensryche - Empire

I was so excited for this when it came out and it just didn't do anything for me. Then it had all those overplayed radio hits which made whatever appeal it might have had die quickly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Smindas wrote:
Iced Earth's Crucible of Man. It's not a bad album, but it gets pretty boring. Matt's voice is phenomenal, but the album is not.

Ditto on this one as well.

I was psyched because Matt was back. Unfortunately, Jon's songwriting wasn't.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Stryper-Reborn
Exodus-The Atrocity Exhibit
Deliverance-Assimilation
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Recently:

Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider
Megadeth - United Abominations
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Queensryce - hear in the now frontier - I still don't like it
Def Leppard - slang (the one def lep release not in my collection!)
King's X - Ear Candy - can't remeber the last time I listened to it
Bride - Kinetic Faith - don't like the songs, production is horrid
Barren Cross - Rattle Your Cage - listen to it twice, total let down after the first 3
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:17 am

Metal Church-The Human Factor. I do like it, it just seems a step back compared to Blessing In Disguise.
Flotsam and Jetsam-Cuatro. Didn't really do it for me. Very bland.
Obituary-Back From the Dead. Very uninspired death metal. Plus, it had that rap song on it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am

Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Tiamat - Wildhoney
Laaz Rockit - Left for Dead
Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Mortification - Envision Evangeline
Danzig - 5: Blackacidevil
Segression - Smile
Rotting Christ - A Dead Poem
Amorphis - Elegy
Moonspell - Sin/Pecado
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
Cathedral - Supernatural Birth Machine

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 2:33 am

Metallica - Black Album
Loved everything before but when it came out it was a let down.

Metallica - Death Magnetic
It's a step forward from the turd before it but still lacking the magic of the early albums.

Tourniquet - Vanishing Lessons

Mortification - Blood World

Deliverance - As Above, So Below

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you   Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums you were looking forward to, but didn't like them as much as you
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next