Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music Publications

Go down 
+9
Lurideath
jstate
Fat Freddy
KissinMaiden
Troublezone
krokus
Temple of Blood
T-Roy
DallasBlack
13 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 1:42 pm

What music publications do you guys read?

I have a subscription for Heaven's Metal ezine. Whenever I'm in a bookstore or on break at Wal-Mart I will look through Metal Edge, Metal Maniacs (both I used to buy religiously), Metal Hammer, and Hit Parader. Yeah, for the most part Hit Parader focuses on crappy nu-metal and metalcore, but in the past couple of years they have started to give more attention to real metal. However, I don't like their lists of best vocalists and guitarists of all time. No Russell Allen, Jon Oliva, Roy Kahn, Criss Oliva, Jorne Lande, etc. Instead they include Jonathan Davis (Korn), Fred Durst, the guitarist of Rage Against The Machine, and many others who should NEVER be mentioned in the same list with Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Dio, Dave Mustaine, John Petruci, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Page, etc. They even had a little box with the top 5 guitar duos of metal and they DON'T mention Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (BLASPHEMY!!!!!).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 1:55 pm

I haven't read a metal mag since the RIP and Power Metal Magazine days back in the late 80's.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Recently I have got on HM's website and read a few articles. Other than
that, I haven't actually purchased one since probably 1992!! I guess
I'd rather read about new sport bikes and hunting stuff than reviews on
music......well, I guess that's some what hypocritical to say as I'm
posting here. LMAO! Stay out of my head; it's ugly in here.
Back to top Go down

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 pm

None. When I was in the UK I read Kerrang! because it was a weekly publication, and the news in it wasn't always old news. Every other magazine is always full of old news.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Snakepit
Forgotten Scroll
Back to top Go down

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:08 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Recently I have got on HM's website and read a few articles. Other than
that, I haven't actually purchased one since probably 1992!! I guess
I'd rather read about new sport bikes and hunting stuff than reviews on
music......well, I guess that's some what hypocritical to say as I'm
posting here. LMAO! Stay out of my head; it's ugly in here.

Two (or 3) words, T-roy...

Music Publications Image2
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Hey, i didn't sign a waver for my photo to be released....dang, now I want a chew.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Many black metal fanzines from all around the world and every month i buy magazines like HEAVY ROCK, POPULAR 1, and THIS IS ROCK, all from Spain and my grandmother buy for me every month the AARDSCHOK from Holland.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:31 pm

I used to get HM in the early 90's when it was still Heaven's Metal and i stopped getting it when they went primarily alternative rock/metal. I have been getting Revolver in the mail since it started and it's cool for just $12 a year. Occasionally i will get a Metal Maniacs if there are some good thrash bands in it.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Don't really know much about metal magazines but, would be nice to know about one that focuses on the type of metal I listen to, not metalcore and such ;(
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:52 pm

I used to pick up Metal Maniacs every issue but I fell behind a while ago and haven't gotten caught up. Knowing that there are a few issues that I haven't read now bugs me cuz I've got that completist/collector gene (a holdover from my comic book collecting days, I guess). Other than that I get most of my music info off the Net. I'll buy an issue of Metal Hammer (UK) occasionally if I see it in Barnes & Noble or whatever.

Back in the 80s I read every metal mag I could get my hands on -- Circus, Metal Edge, RIP, Hit Parader, Creem Thrash, etc, etc. I discovered the British magazines like Metal Hammer and Metal Forces while I was in high school and even though they were a little more expensive than the US mags, they had a lot more variety when it came to covering bands (unlike, say, Circus, which was basically the same half dozen bands in every issue) - - I found it kind of ironic that the European magazines did a better job of covering the whole of the US metal scene than the US mags!

Man, I miss Metal Forces. Sad
Back to top Go down

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Knowing that there are a few issues that I haven't read now bugs me cuz I've got that completist/collector gene (a holdover from my comic book collecting days, I guess).

Same here, friend. What the heck am I going to do with every Dr. Fate comic published in the last 25 years when I die? Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:56 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Knowing that there are a few issues that I haven't read now bugs me cuz I've got that completist/collector gene (a holdover from my comic book collecting days, I guess).

Same here, friend. What the heck am I going to do with every Dr. Fate comic published in the last 25 years when I die? Smile

Hahaha, I actually sold off my comic book collection some years ago, so at least THAT monkey is off my back... however, I obviously just transferred that "completist collector geek" gene to other things, like metal mags and CDs. Smile
Back to top Go down

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Hahaha, I actually sold off my comic book collection some years ago, so at least THAT monkey is off my back... however, I obviously just transferred that "completist collector geek" gene to other things, like metal mags and CDs. Smile

I have it for CDs AND comics. My poor pocketbook. Sad It's like I'm 14 all over again.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I have it for CDs AND comics. My poor pocketbook. Sad It's like I'm 14 all over again.

Yep, I hear ya. I finally had to make a decision when I bought my first new car about ten years ago and suddenly didn't have enough $$ for my car payment, for CDs, AND comics so SOMETHING had to go by the wayside....and I decided that my love for metal outweighed my love for Spider-Man and Archie. Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 4:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Yep, I hear ya. I finally had to make a decision when I bought my first new car about ten years ago and suddenly didn't have enough $$ for my car payment, for CDs, AND comics so SOMETHING had to go by the wayside....and I decided that my love for metal outweighed my love for Spider-Man and Archie. Smile

I'm the opposite. I still really enjoy some of the comics that are coming out these days while the metal scene is releasing 99% junk IMHO. I buy a lot more comics these days then I ever have.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I'm the opposite. I still really enjoy some of the comics that are coming out these days while the metal scene is releasing 99% junk IMHO. I buy a lot more comics these days then I ever have.

I dropped out of the comic scene in the mid 90s...but things were kinda on a downhill slide at that time. Everybody was trying to copy Todd MacFarlane's art style and the publishers were hiding all kinds of crap behind multiple covers, holograms, trading cards, yadda yadda yadda... it finally dawned on me that I was buying more and more comics, but enjoying them less and less.
I still have a few hundred "keepers" in my closet that I hung onto when I sold off the bulk of my collection ... nothing really valuable, just good reads that I still pull out and flip thru from time to time.
But I haven't actually bought a comic book since around 1995. Sometimes I get curious about what I'm missing out on when I pass the comic store in the mall but I dont' want to go in because I'm afraid I'll get hooked all over again!!! Smile

Sorry for the thread hijack, by the way...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 pm

troublezone wrote:
I used to get HM in the early 90's when it was still Heaven's Metal and i stopped getting it when they went primarily alternative rock/metal. I have been getting Revolver in the mail since it started and it's cool for just $12 a year. Occasionally i will get a Metal Maniacs if there are some good thrash bands in it.

Doug Van Pelt has released Heaven's Metal fanzine which comes out in between HM releases. If focuses on real metal and has no alternative rock, punk rock, or the like. The covers of the fanzine has featured Delivarance, Rob Rock, Whitecross, Immortal Souls, Bloodgood, Once Dead, Theocracy, Stryken, Extol, Stryper, Divnefire, and Mortification. It also has regular columns by Steve Rowe and Pastor Bob Beeman. It also includes (w/ subscription) a sampler CD from Retroactive Records in each issue.

http://www.hmmagazine.com/store/001064.php
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Pretty much the only metal mag I'll buy today is Metal Hammer. And that only happens if the free CD with it is loaded up enough to justify the ten dollars.

One of my favorite publications from back in the day was a free monthly called Roxx. They covered the local Maryland/Virginia and national scene. Used to love their profiles and reviews. I'd practically be banging down the doors on the Kemp Mill Records when it came out on the first of the month.

I purposely ignored the comic scene for the reason that I knew it would only lead to an expensive habit. Thought it best to just pretend there weren't such things.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Well I write for Metal Storm Magazine so I read that one quite often. Since Tower closed, its tough to find metal magazines around anywhere. So my reading is mostly on the web.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 am

EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 am

I buy old copies of Kerrang! offa Ebay
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 6:02 pm

I read Metal Maniacs and Decibel. Every once in awhile I might pick up an issue of Brave Words And Bloody Knuckles.

Anyone remember Aardshock? I used to love to read that mag when I could actually find an issue.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 7:09 pm

I subscribe to Metal Maniacs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

Music Publications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Publications   Music Publications Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music Publications
Page 1 of 1