Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Edited Music

Go down 
+9
scottmitchell74
7thSecond
DallasBlack
mc666
Tall Tyrion
XYZ
Smindas
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 4:55 pm

I was in Wal-Mart the other night and noticed in their cd racks that they sell quite a few cd's (not just hard rock/metal) that are edited versions. To my knowledge, I've never purchased an edited version of a cd and it got me thinking "Who buys these?" I understand when a parent might buy one for their kids, but would an adult buy this? And is the music effected in some way? Are the words bleeped or blanked out? Does the music sound any different?

Has anyone here purposely bought an edited cd or album (metal or otherwise) for themselves?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm

I absolutely HATE edited versions. Especially when they simply blank out the offending word. The worst example of this I've ever heard was the edited version of Pearl Jam's "Jeremy". "Seemed a harmless little *silence*"

Almost as bad was the old habit of changing the word. Two examples I recall were Steve Miller Band's "Jetairliner" ("funky KICKS goin' down in the city") and Lita Ford's "Kiss Me Deadly" ("Went to a party last Saturday night, didn't get PAID, got in a fight"). Puh-leeze.

Don't you think kids hear far worse every day in school?

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I've heard that there's an edited version of Guns'n'Roses Live Era. Apparently, the words are bleeped out, but everything else is the same.

I think some people would buy edited versions. It'd probably never happen with music collectors, unless they really wanted to complete their collection. I imagine that casual music fans, like people who want just hits compilations, would buy them. Although, I can't picture rap fans buying edited versions; they thrive on the obscenities.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Sort of defeats the point to censor the lyrics, doesn't it? Might as well not bother writing the song if it's ultimately going to be chopped about in the interest of "preserving innocence".

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Don't you think kids hear far worse every day in school?

Yes. My physics teacher, who was my football coach, gave us 5 points for every time he swore. The best thing he said was when we were watching films and he was talking about the school's new crackdown on the f-bomb.
"Remember, ya can't say the f-bomb anymore in school. But they didn't say anything about sh**, cu** and bi***!"

We just about died. But yeah, I agree. Kids hear far worse in schools.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:34 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
I've heard that there's an edited version of Guns'n'Roses Live Era. Apparently, the words are bleeped out, but everything else is the same.

That's a lot of bleeps. lol!

I can understand the reasoning behind them. There is a lot of good music that I would like my son to hear that he's not quite ready for because of the lyrical content. I just try to screen the stuff he listens too.

In general, I think edited albums are kind of pointless, though. I just don't listen to albums where I dislike the lyrics.
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 pm

That is the perfect example of how we are becoming the United States of Wal-Mart. In alot of rural towns, Wal-mart is the only place you can buy music. So when they only sell
"censored" albums, and you are giving them you money to save 6 cents on Pringles, you are supporting the system that is slowly errodinng our freedoms. That's your choice though. I have never stepped foot in a Wal-Fart and they will never see one dime from me. Burn Wal-Mart, Burn!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Don't hold back, John, tell us how you feel. lol!
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:57 pm

What I've always found funny is, on the radio here, they won't *bleep* out Steve Miller Band (funky $h1t going down in the city) OR The Eagles (we've been up & down this highway, haven't seen a *G--D---n* thing)....but they WILL *bleep* out Nickelback (everybody's got a *-silence-* on speed dial AND the girls come easy and the *-silence-* come cheap)...like "drug dealer" & "drugs" are curse words....
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:05 pm

I once heard an interview with the PD of KLAQ in El Paso where he was asked about edited version of songs. He said their preference was to play the edited version where one exists, but if not, they would play the unedited version. Life in the Fast Lane and Who Are You were both used as examples.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 1:31 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
In alot of rural towns, Wal-mart is the only place you can buy music.
perhaps in towns with no internet access, or US mail (you can still order from magazine ads). does such a place exist in the US? Wal-Mart is not a government organization & can do as it pleases. you always have a choice, to buy, or not to buy, music from Wal-Mart. if someone chooses to buy an edited version, there is no need to blame Wal-Mart for offering it. they should only blame themselves for not seeking out the original.

i will never buy an edited version of anything though. just for the record.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses, but some of you guys are overlooking the original question...

Has anyone here purposely bought an edited cd or album (metal or otherwise) for themselves?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Not purposely. I accidentally bought the edited version of Reel Big Fish's "Turn The Radio Off" and was really pissed off when I found out. At least 3 songs get ruined.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Not purposely but on Coheed and Cambria's last album there was an edit where a word was obviously missing. However, not all Wal-Mart CDs are edited, my copy of Black Tide-Light From Above the line "take your f*cking life" is still in place. All in all it doesn't matter because most of the albums I buy have little or no foul language.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:54 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Not purposely but on Coheed and Cambria's last album there was an edit where a word was obviously missing. However, not all Wal-Mart CDs are edited, my copy of Black Tide-Light From Above the line "take your f*cking life" is still in place. All in all it doesn't matter because most of the albums I buy have little or no foul language.

True, from what I saw, Wal-Mart did have both edited and non-edited versions of different genres for purchase. That's why I wondered why someone might buy the edited version when the un-edited is readily available. I guess it's kind of a moot point when I ask this question here to collectors.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:56 pm

The only reason I can think of for deliberately buying an edited version is if your child is pestering you to death about buying some CD and the kid is not yet a teenager. I think then I might pick the edited version.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The only reason I can think of for deliberately buying an edited version is if your child is pestering you to death about buying some CD and the kid is not yet a teenager. I think then I might pick the edited version.

Yea, I get that part.
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:11 pm

I used to buy my son edited CD's...I think he still has a couple of them...
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Quote :
perhaps in towns with no internet access, or US mail (you can still order from magazine ads). does such a place exist in the US?
If your argument was a solid one, why do they bother to sell cds in stores anymore? Point is, it is censorship, like it or not. And when the largest corporation in the world is promoting censorship, what is next? Do they have the right? Of course. Is it a moral decision in my eyes? F no! If parents did more parenting, we would not have the need for such BS. I am gonna ask you nicely to not get under my skin on this one Monte. Love ya like a brother, but there are certain issues that make me nuts. And you are the master.
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Quote :
F no!

Censorship.
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Always the D, SUC.
Back to top Go down

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:51 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Always the D, SUC.

Edited Music 56834
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:56 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
I am gonna ask you nicely to not get under my skin on this one
i guess i've been censored, since any further replies i make which disagrees with you on this issue will lead to my getting under your skin.

all of those Annoy Saxon training classes where a waste of time then. Sad

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 5:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, but some of you guys are overlooking the original question...

Yes the edited version of Skid Row's Slave to the grind has a better song that replaces the laughable Get the F**k Out song, called Beggar's Day. I bought that one on purpose.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 5:29 pm

I've just always wondered why they sell edited cd's but yet have no problem selling dvd's full of foul words/etc. Wal-Marts around here sell only edited versions also, no choosing between regular or edited versions. I wouldn't buy an edited cd myself but am glad they're at least offered. I saw an edited version of Eazy-E's greatest hit's the other day and thought to myself who the Hell would pay $15 for a blank cd???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edited Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edited Music   Edited Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Edited Music
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next