Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pantera bootleg cds?

Go down 
+6
Troublezone
Eyesore
sharatan777
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9926

Pantera bootleg cds?  Empty
PostSubject: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Can someone please advise me if the four pre-cowboys from hell Pantera albums have ever been officially released on cd?

If i recall well, discogs lists all cd versions as being unofficial, i.e.bootlegs. Moreover, there are various metal magic, projects in the jungle, i am the night and power metal cds for sale on eBay, almost exclusively coming from Russia.

Now i am aware that these are bootlegs. But since those albums are impossible to find, i had to pick up those Russian releases which, to my surprise, look very legit. Even the cd doesn't look like your average CD-R.

Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37820

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 1:56 pm

I am pretty sure that the only one of the four pre-Cowboys albums that was ever legitimately released on CD was Power Metal, on the band's own "Metal Magic" label. Vinyl and cassettes were still the standard formats when they released the prior three.

Even then, I imagine that Power Metal CDs would have been pressed in small quantities, cuz a run of CDs would have been fairly expensive for a home-brewed indie label in 1988.

Soooo, unless you're lucky enough to find an O.G. Power Metal disc at a pawn shop, yard sale, or thrift store in Pantera's home area of Dallas, Texas, it's probably safe to assume that any and all pre-Cowboys CDs on the market are bootleg/counterfeit.

I bought my copy of Power Metal on CD from a guy on iOffer. It came all the way from Latvia for ten bucks (including shipping) so obviously I had no illusions that I was getting an O.G. pressing. Laughing very hard
It looks, plays, and sounds like the real deal so I have no complaints.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I believe that the only one of the four pre-Cowboys albums that was ever legitimately released on CD was "Power Metal," on the band's own "Metal Magic" label. Vinyl and cassettes were still the standard formats when they released the prior three.

If they do exist, I would imagine that Power Metal CDs would have been pressed in small quantities, cuz a run of CDs would have been fairly expensive for a home-brewed indie label in 1988.

Soooo, unless you're lucky enough to find an O.G. Power Metal disc at a pawn shop, yard sale, or thrift store in Pantera's home area of Dallas, Texas, it's probably safe to assume that any and all pre-Cowboys CDs on the market are bootleg/counterfeit.

I bought my copy of Power Metal on CD from a guy on iOffer. It came all the way from Latvia for ten bucks (including shipping) so obviously I had no illusions that I was getting an O.G. pressing. Laughing very hard

Thanks for the quick clarification. I have no complaint either, since the bootlegs look and sound like an original release headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28586

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I am pretty sure that the only one of the four pre-Cowboys albums that was ever legitimately released on CD was Power Metal, on the band's own "Metal Magic" label. Vinyl and cassettes were still the standard formats when they released the prior three.

Even then, I imagine that Power Metal CDs would have been pressed in small quantities, cuz a run of CDs would have been fairly expensive for a home-brewed indie label in 1988.

This.

Plus, I imagine that the only reason Power Metal was not pressed on CD was because Phil seemed embarrassed by the cover. Why not release it with an alternate album cover?

On a side note, during the tour for Cowboys From Hell, there were some shows where they played one or two songs from Power Metal (if I remember correctly, "Death Trap" and "Over and Out" were the songs that showed up during some shows). It was around the time Vulgar Display of Power came out the band (or at least Phil) started to bury their 1980s period. Because of the fact that Internet wasn't what it would be in the second half of the decade, most people outside of Texas bought the claims that Pantera's debut was Cowboys From Hell for quite some time. When the Internet became a regular tool, most people discovered Pantera had four albums before that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sharatan777
Metal novice
Metal novice
sharatan777

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

For more value for money you could buy the bootleg of power metal with Villain's Only Time Will Tell.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah, only Power Metal was released on CD, and it's really hard to come by. I don't even have it. I have all four early albums on Reborn Classics bootlegs. They sound great for the most part. The first three suffer because they're vinyl rips and have that weird degradation happening as the album progresses.

Really wish they'd get an official re-release someday.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah, only Power Metal was released on CD, and it's really hard to come by. I don't even have it. I have all four early albums on Reborn Classics bootlegs. They sound great for the most part. The first three suffer because they're vinyl rips and have that weird degradation happening as the album progresses.

Really wish they'd get an official re-release someday.

With all the re-releases happening in the metal world, i wonder why those particular albums never got a proper treatment / reissue. Could it be an Intellectual Property rights dispute?

In the meantime Eyesore, you can upgrade by purchasing those Russian releases. They are of great quality. Barely any flows.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17141

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Now that Vinnie is gone, there’s a good chance someone (most likely Rita) will eventually release the pre CFH albums. I think the artwork should be updated though... and of coarse they definitely need to be remastered.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Now that Vinnie is gone, there’s a good chance someone (most likely Rita) will eventually release the pre CFH albums. I think the artwork should be updated though... and of coarse they definitely need to be remastered.

Fingers crossed 🤞.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 pm

I have Power Metal on CD that I found new and sealed at a record store about a year ago. I'm sure it's probably a bootleg but I bought it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Nah, they should leave the artwork the way it is. Those cheesy-as-hell covers are all part of the charm. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 am

Is there a connection between Pantera and Villain? I came across that Villain and listened on YouTube the other day. I just wasn't sure wht it was tacked on the end of a Power Metal boot.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Is there a connection between Pantera and Villain? I came across that Villain and listened on YouTube the other day. I just wasn't sure wht it was tacked on the end of a Power Metal boot.

Other than the fact that both albums were short enough to fit together on a single CD, I don't think so...

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7625

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:

No connection but I have that boot! There is a connection between Villain and Vicious Rumors - Carl Albert was the lead singer for both.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 pm

[quote="Witchfinder"]
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Yep, that's the one I bought as well. I got it from a legit record store in West Virginia new and sealed. Where did ya'll find this?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 pm

I have a Power Metal CD and I’m pretty sure it’s the real thing from their Metal Magic label. Is there any way to know for sure? Anything that sets the real thing apart from a bootleg?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I have a Power Metal CD and I’m pretty sure it’s the real thing from their Metal Magic label. Is there any way to know for sure? Anything that sets the real thing apart from a bootleg?

Normally i would check out discogs.com for barcodes and other identifiers.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7625

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 1:32 am

7thSecond wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Yep, that's the one I bought as well. I got it from a legit record store in West Virginia new and sealed. Where did ya'll find this?

I got mine in a record store in Northern Kentucky that always had a lot of bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 7:17 am

I doubt those Pantera albums will ever see the light of day, similar to how Randy Rhoads estate will never release the first two Quiet Riot albums, they seem to feel that those albums do not reflect Rhoads at his best and might harm his legacy, that is how Pantera felt about those early albums.

For years I felt that 'Cowboys from Hell' was their debut album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 12:05 am

manny wrote:
I doubt those Pantera albums will ever see the light of day, similar to how Randy Rhoads estate will never release the first two Quiet Riot albums, they seem to feel that those albums do not reflect Rhoads at his best and might harm his legacy, that is how Pantera felt about those early albums.

The Rhino records compilation: Quiet Riot (The Randy Rhoads years) is very good IMO. There’s a big Alice Cooper influence and his “Laughing Gas” solo is excellent!

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

manny wrote:

That's my fear as well. It will never harm their legacy, of course. Those albums are not a secret anymore, and their legacy is cemented in place.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:

That's my fear as well. It will never harm their legacy, of course. Those albums are not a secret anymore, and their legacy is cemented in place.

I agree, plus with youtube, streaming services out there, they may as well release a vinyl/CD package of those albums and at least make a few buck off them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

The Rhino records compilation: Quiet Riot (The Randy Rhoads years) is very good IMO. There’s a big Alice Cooper influence and his “Laughing Gas” solo is excellent!

True, and I agree with the Alice Cooper influence, it turns out that Randy Rhoads was a huge of Glenn Buxton of the Alice band.

That comp is pretty good, but that is because Kevin Dubrow re-record all his vocals, played Randy Rhoads recordings thru Carlos Cavazo's amps and put them on tape, punched up the drums and bass, and that is why it sounds so good compared to the piss production of the first two original albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 11:42 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

True, and I agree with the Alice Cooper influence, it turns out that Randy Rhoads was a huge of Glenn Buxton of the Alice band.

That comp is pretty good, but that is because Kevin Dubrow re-record all his vocals, played Randy Rhoads recordings thru Carlos Cavazo's amps and put them on tape, punched up the drums and bass, and that is why it sounds so good compared to the piss production of the first two original albums.

Thanks for the info! I didn’t know it was “doctored” so much in the studio. I just thought it was a good remaster.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 am

Random bit to add to this, but I was listening to Lord Tracy's Deaf Gods of Babylon on YouTube, as I do sometimes because it is really good. Someone in the comments mentioned that the singer previously sang for Pantera. I checked on Discogs, and damn, that's true. I never put that together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pantera bootleg cds?    Pantera bootleg cds?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pantera bootleg cds?
Page 1 of 1