Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this a bootleg?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002PHY/ref=sr_1_1_np_1_main_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330395359&sr=1-1&condition=new

What do you think? Gotta be one, unless he/she has access to some kind of stash of still-sealed CDs somewhere that no one else knows about in the collector world, which I doubt.
All the used copies of this always go for big bucks; usually at least $60 or more...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:05 pm

new and sealed? most likely. I found a few like that and almost got it but figured its got to be a bootleg. I just watched one on ebay sell for $30

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 am

Spin_This1 sure has a lot of rare stuff sealed for cheap. Never bought from him and never would. See that seller pop up on too many amazon listings. My opinion is that if it is too good to be true, it's probably a bootleg. I got my copy of Survive for forty in an actual store so at least I was able to make sure it was legit. Tough disc to come by for cheap.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 am

Yeah, that's what I think, too...

I got mine for $60, and it's autographed, which was a nice surprise. Never had paid that much for a CD before that. But at the time, I had plenty of money, so it was easy to justify, haha...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 am

I will say, though, that sometimes in dark warehouse corners sealed CDs can pop up that were forgotten about. The people that find/own them don't want to hold on to them forever so as opposed to pricing them at the top of the market ($60), they'll unload them for less (like this guy for $25) just to get rid of them...they may not be getting all it would eventually net, but they're not interested in playing that game.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 am

Yeah, I suppose that's true, as well; although not likely (usually). There is always that possibility, though.
If that's the case here, I sure wish I knew it for a fact! I'd snatch it up quick.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am

...matter of fact, Shawn, that very thing DID happen with Ultimatum's Symphonic Extremeties... a while back, Robert found a bunch of sealed copies of it in storage somewhere, tucked away. I snatched one of them up and promptly had all the guys sign it, heh heh....

cool
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I will say, though, that sometimes in dark warehouse corners sealed CDs can pop up that were forgotten about. The people that find/own them don't want to hold on to them forever so as opposed to pricing them at the top of the market ($60), they'll unload them for less (like this guy for $25) just to get rid of them...they may not be getting all it would eventually net, but they're not interested in playing that game.

Suuuuure go right ahead and bring this up. Make me second guess buying this lol! angry

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm surprised that "Survive" hasn't been licensed by a reissue label like Wounded Bird yet. I would think it would at least sell out a limited run.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

It's one of those things like, with many records, the labels they are on are bought and sold so many times that albums just get lost in shuffle. It's probably owned by Universal, ultimately....but they'd probably have to dig to prove it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Someone needs to buy that whole IRS Metal catalogue and start reissuing it.

One other thing I always do when in doubt with an amazon seller (besides the feedback and looking at the other things they've got for sale) is send them a detailed question about the disc. All bootleggers fear getting labeled with that feedback so if it is not a legit disc they won't risk selling to someone who might know. I've gotten a lot of "this is the Greece issued version, not the one you're looking for" replies. I've even come across listings lately where they admit they're selling a burned copy.

Even if spinthis1 did come across some lost stock he sure has a hard time selling those rarities at those low prices. Never seen those Sinner discs not get snatched up for twice his price. Survive as well. That said, the lost stashes do happen. I love 80's rap and just about my entire CD collection has been purchased from such finds or people just looking to sell right away not knowing what they have. And as bad as metal rarities costs, rap rarities are much worse. I've gotten very lucky that way.
Back to top Go down

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 pm

You should try buying rare jazz LPs and CDs, I've seen original Blue Note LP pressings go for thousands of dollars.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:12 pm

I often browse through the jazz section in the back at Amoeba. Not much intimidates me when music shopping but those folks are hardcore. Have to love them for their passion and commitment. Plus you always get to hear the coolest most intense music debates too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this a bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a bootleg?   Is this a bootleg? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this a bootleg?
Page 1 of 1