Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Frank Zappa - any good at all ?

Go down 
+8
Thelemech
mikeinfla
Eyesore
tohostudios
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Glower
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Empty
PostSubject: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm

I’m reading “ Dancing with Myself “ - Billy Idol
He says - at 18 - him and his pals - saw him in concert - loved it.
Okay - way back in Junior High School - I went to a fellow student’s house -
We went to his room - and played Zappa Records.
It was thee most oddest music I ever heard.

What’s his best release - hands down. ?

Idol “ We were all real big fans of the savagely satirical,
Hybrid jazz / doo-wop / blues rock.....”
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Zappa is one of those guys you either "get" or you don't. My first college roomie was a big fan (mainly of his free jazz-y, instrumental solo stuff) but I've given him a few tries over the years and never "got" it.

I respect the man for his obvious talent, his weird humor and his staunch anti-censorship stance (remember, he went to Washington DC with Dee Snider and John Fuggin' Denver to tell the PMRC to go piss up a rope!), but his music is not my bag.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm

I've only ever heard one Zappa tune (The only one played on our local crappy classic rock station) and I don't know the name of it but it does have the classic line, "watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow" Razz . Actually, rather sage advise. Other than that the song is rather bleh. Just not really my thing I guess.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm

He also had the song Valley Girl.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 7:09 pm

I agree with Freddy about Zappa being one of those artists you either get or don't.  I've been told the man was actually a fine musician but his music is just too quirky for my tastes.  But I also loved that he argued against Tipper Gore and the PMRC back in the day and I've always respected the man for that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal. Think it requires drugs, which I've never done besides alcohol. Though I suspect even drunk I'd find his music just as shitty. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 6:25 am

Yeah, the book - Billy Idol says - at the time -
he was dropping acid - and it sounded frequently - for a few years.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 8:03 am

I remember this one and Yellow Snow from when I was a kid:

I haven't heard that since I was a little kid and now as an adult I can see it isn't intended for kids! LOL!

My older brother was (and prob still is) a huge Zappa fan and he used to play this all the time. No idea how it escaped my parents' ear.

Now it just reminds me of one of those Mad Magazine records that used be inside the Mad Super Specials.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am

Quote :

Now it just reminds me of one of those Mad Magazine records that used be inside the Mad Super Specials.

That may be the best description of Zappa's music that I've ever heard. Smile

This article about Zappa from The AV Club is a good read.

"Can You Be a Fan of Frank Zappa, But Not His Music?"
https://www.avclub.com/can-you-be-a-fan-of-frank-zappa-but-not-his-music-1820520135

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Always found Zappa and his music to be tedious and rather boring. I know there is talent in his compositions, they just leave me wanting to listen to something else.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 pm

You had to be a world class musician to be in his band,   I had back in the day several of his records on 8-track, lol...  Ansley Dunbar played on 8 of Zappa's records. The list of great musicians who played with him is long..  

Strange sense of humor, You either get it or you don't...

Terry Bozzio is on drums on this track.. One of the great drummers of all time..

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 3:02 am

As a guitarist, It's been taking years of me slowly wading through Zappa's discography and get some kind of grip on it. Remember, pretty much each album sounds like it's by a slightly different artist. But here's the thing: ditch the studio albums. Even the live albums, which are pretty great regardless. Instead, go to Youtube and check out his live performances (remember, Steve Vai shows up here and there, and is often UPSTAGED). I'm pretty sure you'll get it then, and while it may not sell one on Zappa's studio work (which is admittedly challenging), you just might be awestruck.

Side note; saw Dweezil Zappa open for Dream Theater and just WOW.
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I've never been a fan of Zappa's music, but this story about him is worth hearing.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 pm

I am a huge Frank Zappa fan, he is like the Salvador Dali of rock music.

I think he is brilliant, and his songs are challenging, quirky humor and his humor even presents itself in the music itself. Love the man, but like others said either you get it or you don't. He is definitely not for everyone. Also one of hell of a guitarists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa - any good at all ?   Frank Zappa - any good at all ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa - any good at all ?
Page 1 of 1