Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Frank Zappa

Go down 
+3
Wrecked Neck
John Madden
7 posters
AuthorMessage
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 3:01 pm

Any fans?
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Nope, never understood all the hype about him. Haven't heard much of his stuff, but listened to some that was supposed to be his better songs, and hated them. I'm sure he has some good stuff, but I haven't found anything yet.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 pm

Not at all. He was a weird dude with weird music.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 am

You have to be stoned to "get" Frank Zappa.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Count me in as another one who never "got" FZ. I respect the hell out of the guy for his bizarre sense of humor and his staunch anti-censorship stance (remember, he was one of the guys who went to Washington DC to tell Tipper and the PMRC to go f*ck themselves), but his music was just a lil' too "out there" for me...

(He also "discovered" Alice Cooper, which is another point in his favor.)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2021 1:21 am

Lari wrote:
You have to be stoned to "get" Frank Zappa.
I don't do that anymore, but I can assure I've been plenty stoned when trying to listen to most of the older classic rock bands. Him and the Grateful Dead never did it for me. Thankfully Pink Floyd did the trick. I love just about everything they did, including the trippy shit that makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Like Zappa's live stuff over the studio, especially the early stuff.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm

I never really delved into his music. But I know he is considered a creative genius. Valley Girl and Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow are the only songs I’m currently familiar with. I need to check out more of his stuff.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:

I don't do that anymore, but I can assure I've been plenty stoned when trying to listen to most of the older classic rock bands. Him and the Grateful Dead never did it for me. Thankfully Pink Floyd did the trick. I love just about everything they did, including the trippy shit that makes no sense.

Listened to Floyd tons w/ headphones back in my stoner kid daze (late 70's) Quit smoking weed and lost interest in them after that.

After studying music theory, I "got" Zappa. (IMHDO) The musicianship of the players in his various recording and touring ensembles is top shelf.
Of course, it isn't for everyone.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 2:49 pm

James B. wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

Listened to Floyd tons w/ headphones back in my stoner kid daze  (late 70's)  Quit smoking weed and lost interest in them after that.

After studying music theory, I "got" Zappa. (IMHDO) The musicianship of the players in his various recording and touring ensembles is top shelf.
Of course,  it isn't for everyone.

Pink Floyd still does it for me, best classic rock band ever far as I'm concerned. If I have to study music theory to "get it", then I'll take a hard pass lol I'm not doubting the talent, but you can be the most talented musicians in the world, the music still has to appeal to me. Just like opera. They are some of the best singers on the planet, shit still sucks. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa
Page 1 of 1