Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The BEST Anthrax

Go down 
+24
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Troublezone
candlemass
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
Leatherface
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
James B.
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Witchfinder
nevermore
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Lari
Wrecked Neck
Glower
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Best Anthrax CD
1984 Fistful of Metal
The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 4 ]
1985 Spreading the Disease
The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 47% [ 18 ]
1987 Among the Living
The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 9 ]
1988 State of Euphoria
The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
1990 Persistence of Time
The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 am

Okay - bought S.T.D - for $ 6.44 - on popular vote - etc

A month ago I bought Sepultura - beneath the remains - CD
Thought it was pretty damn cool -
figured Anthrax must - be just as good -
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Wow ! STD is really a groundbreaking great release !
I actually saw them live - for this tour - I so remember “ Armed and Dangerous “
It was one of those Sunday afternoon shows - remember “ Madhouse “ too.
The crowd was insane. Went - to just rock out. Ah, the good ole days.
Didn’t know - Carl Canedy - produced it. Love The Rods !
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Glower wrote:
Wow ! STD is really a groundbreaking great release  !
I actually saw them live - for this tour - I so remember “ Armed and Dangerous “
It was one of those Sunday afternoon shows - remember “ Madhouse “ too.
The crowd was insane. Went - to just rock out. Ah, the good ole days.
Didn’t know - Carl Canedy - produced it. Love The Rods !
It indeed is a great release. And sounds very unique. Spreading the Disease is a how-to in thrash meets power vocals, and Among the Living is the same in thrash meets insane-catchy chorus melody lines.

The actual thrash metal riffs on STD are better though. I can find no fault in this record. It accomplishes everything it sets out to do. I don't think there's a weak song in there. I already mentioned my favourites are the last two tracks, but all the ones prior are also excellent. A ton of energy, pretty loose sounding playing and just buckets of fun.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 5:50 pm

ATL followed by PoT.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Bit of an unusual choice for favourite Anthrax song but it is mine!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Not so unusual, it's an excellent tune.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Bought Persistence of Time. Can’t believe it ranked the lowest. A fun listen. Quality metal.
Reminds me of buying anything by Megadeth. It delivers ! Anthrax had a great run, way back when Smile
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 6:01 am

The best Anthrax album is Spreading the Disease, but the best moment in all of Antrax catalogue is the last ~2 minutes of A.D.I. / Horror of It All from Among the Living. For a long time I was disappointed that they didn't seem to play it live at all but looks like this decade they've included it in their shows.

I don't care much about most of that song but holy hell the last two minutes are fantastic!

Temple of Blood wrote:
STD has the catchiest songs and the best marriage between the music and the vocal style.

This is exactly how I feel it too. I think Belladonna sounds the best in this album. Even in Among the Living his voice is a bit too thin for the music, but somehow Spreading the Disease avoids that completely.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm

STD. And that's all.

I have to confess I simply don't like this band. I've tried, even chose at different points in my life because I really love thrash and find the genre wholly appealing. But these guys stand outside of that appeal. They're boring. There's not a lot of talent going on (okay, so Charlie's a schizo drummer), the songs lack menace, and Joey's voice is STUPID. That's right, I said it, he's got a stupid voice. It's like he's pretending to sing, like bad karaoke, like Natural Ice advertised as beer. I can't take it.

I did like State of Euphoria once upon a time but the more I listened to it the more the cracks would show. Hell, I don't even like them being a part of the Big 4 outside of historical purposes (debatable), and they seemed totally out of place in the Big 4 gig that was aired.

I do like Scott Ian as a person, though. He's a crap player (fuck his tone!) but I wouldn't mind hanging out and sharing a joint with him.

Thanks guys, felt good to get that off my chest. Phew.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Joey Belladonna has a GREAT powerful voice.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Lari wrote:

See, I don't hear that at all. I find it rather weak and meandering. His sustain is forced and he tends to bleat out his notes with little to no dynamic arc. It's just yelling to me. And his sustain is worse.

I mean, different strokes and all, it's just that I'm more than forgiving with most thrash vocalists because that kind of music doesn't really require top-notch pipes, but there are two exceptions that make my eyes twitch from sheer inner-ear irritation, and those are Sean Killian and Joey Belladonna.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Lari wrote:

Yes. And a very cool guy. I have 5 of his solo albums [3 remain unreleased]. He and Jack Frost worked really well together.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 8:57 am

Glower wrote:
Bought Persistence of Time. Can’t believe it ranked the lowest.  A fun listen. Quality metal.
Reminds me of buying anything by Megadeth. It delivers ! Anthrax had a great run, way back when Smile

Yeah dude Persistence is so good, and it's what I voted for. It feels heavier to me also than the previous albums. I didn't know that "Got the Time" was a cover for decades, and then randomly heard the Joe Jackson version somewhere and had my mind blown ha.

Were I you, I'd buy all the other albums on the list too, plus Attack of the Killer B's. All essential, really.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Lari wrote:

Yes.  And a very cool guy.  I have 5 of his solo albums [3 remain unreleased].  He and Jack Frost worked really well together.

I queued up that 1995 Belladonna album for the first time in over a decade recently and it really rips front to back. Spells of Fear did not age very well for me.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 9:37 am

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

See, I don't hear that at all. I find it rather weak and meandering. His sustain is forced and he tends to bleat out his notes with little to no dynamic arc. It's just yelling to me. And his sustain is worse.

I mean, different strokes and all, it's just that I'm more than forgiving with most thrash vocalists because that kind of music doesn't really require top-notch pipes, but there are two exceptions that make my eyes twitch from sheer inner-ear irritation, and those are Sean Killian and Joey Belladonna.
In thrash metal, where mediocrity is the standard, you don't like the exception - the excellent vocalist? To me at least Belladonna was the one single major draw to Anthrax's music. A thrash metal band with a power vocalist? Yes, please! Great pipes, great voice. Puts 99.9% of his peers to shame.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Lari wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

In thrash metal, where mediocrity is the standard, you don't like the exception - the excellent vocalist? To me at least Belladonna was the one single major draw to Anthrax's music. A thrash metal band with a power vocalist? Yes, please! Great pipes, great voice. Puts 99.9% of his peers to shame.

I can understand and respect where you're coming from, but like I said, I don't find him to be excellent. In fact, I find him to be perhaps the most mediocre of the bunch. It's simply a polar perspective--I find that 99.9% of his peers put him to shame.

Props to all who enjoy him, but he's simply not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm

If you’re looking for a thrash band with an excellent vocalist, look no further than Forbidden. The big 4 doesn’t have one.

Sorry for the derailment, carry on. Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 12:30 am

^^ Most certainly! I was actually thinking of Russ Anderson after I sent my reply. Good call, great vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 12:49 am

In my opinion, Eric AK is the best vocalist from the thrash genre. He doesn’t have the same range as he did on the first few albums, but his voice is still strong compared to almost everyone else from the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 1:10 am

Troublezone wrote:
In my opinion, Eric AK is the best vocalist from the thrash genre. He doesn’t have the same range as he did on the first few albums, but his voice is still strong compared to almost everyone else from the 80s.
Yes! Nobody really talks much about him as a great singer, and that's a shame because he is really good.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 2:20 am

I can't believe I forgot about Erik. Wracking my brain, I don't think there's another thrash vocalist that tops his style.

Bobby Ellsworth is a strong contender, well, at least outside of those first few Overkill albums I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am

Troublezone wrote:

I think he is now much better than he was in the 80's or the 90's. His voice is now much stronger and charismatic than before.

Another singer who has been much better in this century than he was in the last century is Katon W. De Pena from Hirax. Not that he should be compared to Eric AK at all because he isn't a good singer like that, but compared to what he used to be he is lightyears away from what he was as a thrash vocalist. Hirax is an odd one out also because they've made better albums in the last two decades than anything they released in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 11:01 am

Rami Airola wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think he is now much better than he was in the 80's or the 90's. His voice is now much stronger and charismatic than before.

Another singer who has been much better in this century than he was in the last century is Katon W. De Pena from Hirax. Not that he should be compared to Eric AK at all because he isn't a good singer like that, but compared to what he used to be he is lightyears away from what he was as a thrash vocalist. Hirax is an odd one out also because they've made better albums in the last two decades than anything they released in the 80's.

I agree that AK still has a great voice, but nothing tops his range or power on No Place for Disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2019 12:09 am

Yes AK is great as well. He always slips my mind.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 am

Great heads up, Thrasher. Just listened to a few songs off of Forbiiden Evil. I'm sold !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BEST Anthrax   The BEST Anthrax - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The BEST Anthrax
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next