Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speed Metal

Go down 
+14
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Troublezone
the sentinel
steelers
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Lari
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Gilbert
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am

My favourite genre headbanger headbanger headbanger.

Post a song which you consider to be the very definition of what Speed Metal should sound like. Here is one of my all time favourites:

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 11:51 am

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Does Metal Church count? Jag Panzer? Raven?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm

If Jag Panzer doesn't count, the genre doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 pm

We'll let them in, there is so much crossover between USPM and speed metal I don't know where one starts or ends.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Jag Panzer is USPM, not speed metal.
Back to top Go down
steelers
Metal student
Metal student
steelers

Number of posts : 105

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39621

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Someone mentioned Metal Church?

There are many more by them that could be posted.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 pm

007 wrote:
Someone mentioned Metal Church?

There are many more by them that could be posted.

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 pm

I know it has a long intro, but:

And:

Are probably my top 2 faves.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Didn’t Megadeth once deem themselves “state of the art speed metal”? Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Good grief, this is exactly why I generally avoid genre topic threads like this because inevitably Person A's definition of a genre won't be the same as Person B's. 

So for my own edification ToB, please define what differentiates "speed metal" from "USPM" in your mind?  I probably won't agree or maybe even understand it but I'm curious.

scottmitchell74

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Good grief, this is exactly why I generally avoid genre topic threads like this because inevitably Person A's definition of a genre won't be the same as Person B's. 

So for my own edification ToB, please define what differentiates "speed metal" from "USPM" in your mind?  I probably won't agree or maybe even understand it but I'm curious.

Yay! I posted my eye rolls before I saw your post. Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by genre-nazi.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I gotta agree with ToB on this one.

Speed metal, to me, is fast, double bass drumming in practically every song with usually high-pitched, smooth vocals. The guitars are usually "cleaner" if that's the right term I'm looking for, without that "crunch and distortion" of USPM or thrash. There's exceptions of course, but generally speaking, that defines "speed metal" to me. USPM offered much more variety in tempo and vocals. Not everything is breakneck speed and falsetto.

Accept's 'Fast as a Shark' is a good example. It's a fast paced "speed metal" song, but I don't think anyone would classify them as a speed metal band. Of course, they aren't USPM either, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Bands like Jag Panzer and Metal Church certainly offered some fast songs, but they had other styles throughout their albums.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 9:49 pm

For what it's worth, here's how Wikipedia defines it...

Quote :
Speed metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal music that originated in the late 1970s from new wave of British heavy metal (NWOBHM) roots. It is described by AllMusic as "extremely fast, abrasive, and technically demanding" music.

"It is usually considered less abrasive and more melodic than thrash metal, showing less influence from hardcore punk. However, speed metal is usually faster and more aggressive than traditional heavy metal, also showing more inclination to virtuoso soloing and featuring short instrumental passages between couplets. Speed metal songs frequently make use of highly expressive vocals, but are usually less likely to employ 'harsh' vocals than thrash metal songs."

I'd pretty much agree with that statement, however, if you look at their list of "Speed Metal Bands", there are many that disagree with that classification...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speed_metal_bands

Anthrax? Nevermore? They have Queen on there because of 'Stone Cold Crazy' for Pete's sake! That's stone cold crazy if you ask me.

So there you have it. That should make everything crystal clear, right fellas? Razz

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Ohhhhh, now I get it. sign
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 11:43 pm

No need to discuss genres my dear friends. Just post any song that you consider as a speed metal jewel. Have fun headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 12:37 am

If fast songs with frequent use of double kick drums and clean melodic vocals separates speed metal from USPM or thrash, then Wouldn’t early Anthrax with Belladonna fit that definition?

Same thing with the first Flotsam & Jetsam album.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 am

Regardless of genres, i am enjoying this amazing new song by Attacker. Anyone else picked up the EP?

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 4:03 am

I think bands like Agent Steel, Exciter, Scanner, and early Deliverance fit the speed metal definition pretty good. How bout Cellador? They were called Helloween rip offs so would that make them power metal? To me they sound like speed metal. don\'t know

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speed Metal  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal    Speed Metal  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Metal
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next