Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why wasn't Savatage bigger?

Go down 
+12
manny
candlemass
Wrecked Neck
Witchfinder
Glower
Troublezone
tohostudios
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
Lari
Big Rich
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Big Rich wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
ge
GB was the first song I ever heard by them, and it was on  a college radio station.
Mine too. It was the video I saw, in the 90s. The next time I went to a record store I looked if I could grab a CD of theirs for cheap. Ended up with a second hand copy of Streets. That's where I started - now they are my favourite band and I own them all.

The Wake of Magellan is probably my favourite album of theirs. Mountain King is a solid 2nd.

Wake is my favorite as well; I thought I was the only person that thought that.

You 2 are insane.

Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 395375
It's just a great great record, if you give it a chance.

You know you want to Evil Seed
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:37 pm

manny wrote:

Also being the MTV era, let's be honest, in a visual medium, these guys were not pin ups.
Well, ain't that the truth.
lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Big Rich wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
ge
GB was the first song I ever heard by them, and it was on  a college radio station.
Mine too. It was the video I saw, in the 90s. The next time I went to a record store I looked if I could grab a CD of theirs for cheap. Ended up with a second hand copy of Streets. That's where I started - now they are my favourite band and I own them all.

The Wake of Magellan is probably my favourite album of theirs. Mountain King is a solid 2nd.

Wake is my favorite as well; I thought I was the only person that thought that.

You 2 are insane.

Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 395375

Laughing very hard

My second favorite is Gutter Ballet. 

Followed by....(wait for it....)

"Streets"!

It's on "Streets" that I think you can hear the genesis of what would become Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Guys, the post Criss records is okay, but it ain't Savatage to me. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Just curious Big Rich, do you like TSO?

I sort of do but not as much as I like Savatage pre-or-post Criss and/or regardless of who was on vocals at the time for Savatage.   TSO is just a different animal but I can clearly hear how latter-day Savatage was leading to that.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Lari wrote:
manny wrote:

Also being the MTV era, let's be honest, in a visual medium, these guys were not pin ups.
lol!

"Hall of the Mountain King" got quite a bit of airtime there...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 7:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Just curious Big Rich, do you like TSO?

I sort of do but not as much as I like Savatage pre-or-post Criss and/or regardless of who was on vocals at the time for Savatage.   TSO is just a different animal but I can clearly hear how latter-day Savatage was leading to that.

Yep, I've seen them twice. Not a huge fan of their records though. I am happy Jon finally made some money too. I'd probably like the post Criss stuff if they had a different name. I don't hate it, just wasn't the same for me.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 9:00 pm

candlemass wrote:
Lari wrote:
manny wrote:

lol!

Regular MTV or just Headbangers Ball? I didnt get MTV until 1993 (just as HBB was on its last legs), but I doubt that HOtMK was played between Michael Jackson and U2 videos.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 11:21 am

I never really gave 'em a chance till I started lurking around here and saw all the praise they got. I still revisit them from time to time and still never fully get the appeal.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 37951
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Savatage and King's X are 2 bands that members of this board raved about for years and I just could never get into them as much as I've tried.

I do enjoy TSO, so there's that.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I hardly know you MG. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Kings X are WAY overrated, but have about 2 good songs and an original style so good for them.

Savatage has a masterpiece album in HOTMK that is pretty much great from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Hadley wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Lari wrote:
manny wrote:

lol!

Regular MTV or just Headbangers Ball? I didnt get MTV until 1993 (just as HBB was on its last legs), but I doubt that HOtMK was played between Michael Jackson and U2 videos.

I would presume only Headbanger's Ball (I live in Canada, and we only get MuchMusic, where I don't believe Savatage ever got played outside of their metal related programming).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Savatage and King's X are 2 bands that members of this board raved about for years and I just could never get into them as much as I've tried.

I'm with you on King's X.  I really like "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" but other than that I could take or leave the band.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am

MetalGuy71 is the guy I made this thread about. Lots of metalheads just don't get into Savatage. I have 2 metalhead friends offline, and I'm always telling them about the wonders of the 'Tage, but they ain't buying.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 9:38 am

Big Rich wrote:
MetalGuy71 is the guy I made this thread about.

I'm flattered. What a Face

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 12:07 pm

I always liked this song. Criss' guitar tone on the Mountain King is just perfection.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Kings X are WAY overrated, but have about 2 good songs and an original style so good for them.

angry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 9:25 am

Required Fields wrote:
Hadley wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Lari wrote:
manny wrote:

lol!

I would presume only Headbanger's Ball (I live in Canada, and we only get MuchMusic, where I don't believe Savatage ever got played outside of their metal related programming).

Odd ,memory time. I remember "Hall" being the very last video on HB for like a month straight when I was like 13 years old. I remember waiting up til the end of the show to see it and being super exhausted the next morning when it was time to go to 10:30 AM mass. Ah, good times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am

tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm with you on King's X.  I really like "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" but other than that I could take or leave the band.

I haven't listened to King's X in a while. I got into them in the mid 1990's when a co worker let me borrow "Dogman" on cassette. I went and got my own and played the hell out of it in my then brand new 1995 Pontiac Grand Am. I remember cranking "Pillow" as loud as could and hoping not to blow my speakers. Ha. More good times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't Savatage bigger?   Why wasn't Savatage bigger? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't Savatage bigger?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2