Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stormtroopers of Death

Go down 
+15
martinsane
James B.
Thrasher73
Troublezone
nevermore
Wrecked Neck
candlemass
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Lari
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Glower
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Stormtroopers of Death Empty
PostSubject: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Just bought this. Very punk rock sounding.
Like the Circle Jerks - almost.
The CD says 1 million world wide sales.
Megaforce Records Inc.

Executive producer Jon Zazula
Product Coordinator Marsha Zazula

Any personal thoughts on them by anyone ? Stormtroopers of Death 505193
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm

I never liked it.

Massively overrated IMHO.

There is a lot better crushing thrash that I would recommend to people before this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm

It was a hoot when I was 15. Nowadays it's almost quaint.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 5:41 pm

I still have never heard it. And I have a couple of Anthrax records.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 6:28 pm

You guys are insane. This is one of the premiere thrash albums of all time. NO ONE has duplicated it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, Uncle. I hear it's hardcore punk influenced. And those are kind of curse words to me. It's like trying to sell a nu-metal influenced record to me. Maybe you can educate us - why is it so great?
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Lari wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you, Uncle. I hear it's hardcore punk influenced. And those are kind of curse words to me. It's like trying to sell a nu-metal influenced record to me. Maybe you can educate us - why is it so great?

Well, for one, it is hilarious. 2, the mosh riffs were ahead of their time. 3, It is scott, Danny, and Charlie from Anthrax in their absolute prime! This album came out during my transition from Punk to Thrash to Crossover and I still cannot play it without bouncing off the walls. Punk-influenced? Sure! But every thrash band to come out after was completely influenced by this album themselves. Sadly, they never came close to ever recording anything in the same league. I rarely agree with ToB, so no biggie there. But I will fight for this album. Quaint? For shit's sake. Seriously. Crack must be making a comeback amongst suburbanites. Overrated? not. NOT NOT, NOT!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Every thrash band to come after was completely influenced by this? Wow, that's gotta be serious hyperbole.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Every thrash band to come after was completely influenced by this? Wow, that's gotta be serious hyperbole.

In one way or another.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
You guys are insane.  This is one of the premiere thrash albums of all time.  NO ONE has duplicated it.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I still love every last cheesy over the top moment of it.

You're right about no one being able to duplicate it too -- especially themselves. I mean, did you hear "Bigger Than The Devil?" Pee-yew.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm

That's funny - on the CD - there are some live concert highlights of a few songs -

Singer says " Sorry Tokyo - but I'm bigger than Godzilla - bigger than Mothra " etc

Bigger than the devil ? Wow.

That's like saying - cooler than Jesus - lol
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

I haven't played this in years. Much like M.O.D. stuff, I get nostalgic for it every 5 years or so and cue it up for a laugh. It's got a special place in my heart but it's not something I would play on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 pm

You guys are insane.  This is one of the premiere thrash albums of all time.  NO ONE has duplicated it.

Thank God no one has! sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 12:16 am

candlemass wrote:

Coming from something called CandleAss.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 2:26 am

I agree with Saxon here, I think it's an absolute killer album. I've listened to it at least a thousand times, and though I don't listen to it much these days, whenever I do, I still wanna bounce off the walls and start a pit lol Great album, masterpiece IMO!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 pm

It's a great crossover thrash album!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 pm

I’ve always liked it.

The guitar sound is crushing for 1985! And it also has one of the first blastbeats ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm

I do like the guitar tone.

I've found that generally "joke bands" don't age very well though.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 7:07 pm

candlemass wrote:

Coming from something called CandleAss.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I've found that generally "joke bands" don't age very well though.

It’s a direct influence on What A Joke by Deliverance. Another album I really like!

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 am

I love it! The riffs, the tone, the hilarity. What more could you ask for? Especially in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am

Never really liked it when it came out, seemed contrived and pretentious. Recently found it in a thrift store in rural Wyoming of all places. It is fun road music for a 25 mile commute at 70mph. (IMHDO)Hirax did the crossover thrash thing way better and with sincerity on their debut about the same time as this if memory serves me correct.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Scott should have used that tone in Anthrax too!

Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 pm

The SOD album and Anthrax period were ahead of the curve.

Anthrax' covers and collaborations over the years have certainly influenced and changed the landscape of "metal" over the years. From the SOD stuff to their collaboration with Public Enemy to their Jackson Brown cover, Scott Ian and CO. have not hid their influences and have been true to themselves and what they want to play no matter what.

As for the SOD stuff I haven't listened in forever and 2 days but as mentioned for when it came out it is still a relevant slice of thrash history and is still a lot of fun to bob your head too.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Anyone who doesn't appreciate this album, or worse puts it down, obviously wasn't around back in the day. This album set the standard as to how other crossover albums would be judged.

P.S. to the original poster. They sound NOTHING like the Circle Jerks, whom I also love. Not sure where the hell you even got that comparison from? Are you sure you've even heard S.O.D. or the Circle Jerks?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stormtroopers of Death   Stormtroopers of Death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stormtroopers of Death
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next