Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What was the first Death Metal ?

Go down 
+14
metalinmyveins
krokus
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
kmorg
Leatherface
mc666
Thrasher73
SpectreFate
manny
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Zze
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zze
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

What was the first Death Metal ? Empty
PostSubject: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

One could argue that the first DM album was Scream Bloody Gore by Death, however , by 1987 we already had Sarcófago , which were already playing Death Metal in a much more extreme way than Death ( blastbeats and parts with ultra growled vocals ) so im my opinion the first Death Metal was Possessed Seven Churches.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

Possessed was the first band I'd ever heard that used the growling WOOOOAAAAARRRRRGH vocal style.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Possessed was the first band I'd ever heard that used the growling WOOOOAAAAARRRRRGH vocal style.

Me too...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too...

Ditto
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too...

Ditto

Either Possessed or Death (Mantas), depending on who demoed first, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 am

Possessed would be my guess
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 am

Quote :

Our good friend Doctor Wik E. Pedia sez that both bands released their first demos in 1984 (Possessed's Death Metal and Mantas' Death By Metal). Possessed was the first to get signed and put out an album though (Seven Churches came out in '85, Scream Bloody Gore was '87)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Our good friend Doctor Wik E. Pedia sez that both bands released their first demos in 1984 (Possessed's Death Metal and Mantas' Death By Metal). Possessed was the first to get signed and put out an album though (Seven Churches came out in '85, Scream Bloody Gore was '87)

Well then Possessed gets my vote. If not for anything but for coining the term.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

i would agree with Possessed

Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Possessed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 pm

I don't know guys. Are you guys sure that it wasn't Possessed?

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 4:27 pm

kmorg wrote:
I don't know guys. Are you guys sure that it wasn't Possessed?

Damn kmorg, you obviously don't know anything! Obviously it's Possessed! Geez, get with the program.

Razz

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 pm

POSSESSED

Shuldiner never claims to having invented death metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm

I still think it's funny that Possessed and Primus share the same guitarist.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Some of the early MANTAS (pre..-DEATH) recordings sound very death metal too, and they were from the mid 80s. Also MASSACRE (USA) demos from 86 has maybe the first ever real death metal voice on a recording. NOCTURNUS demo, AMON demo (pre-DEICIDE) or bands like MORBID ANGEL, or NUNSLAUGHTER are part of the very first death metal bands when we talk about the USA of course.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Here are some curious thoughts from Will Carroll (drummer Death Angel) about Death Metal. There was actually a three part question starting at the 6:48 mark, with Will's view about Death Metal, but at the 9:45 mark the question was: Do you think Possessed started Death Metal and Death perfected it?

Needless to say, his answer was quite different. Is he wrong or is there some validity to what he's saying?

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 pm

he's entitled to his opinions, but they're rather far reaching. he's also wrong about Obituary's singer. John Tardy sings, Donald is on drums.

SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Hard to say for absolute certainty. Genocide, who later became Repulsion (and released the album Horrified), demoed in '84 with Toxic Metal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm

What about Hellhammer? didnt they put out an EP around 1984?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm

stepcousin wrote:

Back in the mid 80s I remember hearing Hellhammer and Celtic Frost described as both "death metal" and "black metal"...before either of those terms were widely used to describe a genre of music.

I think extreme bands of both the death and black varieties owe ALOT to Tom Warrior's bands...and Bathory too of course.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 am

Tom Warrior claims in his book they invented the term "death metal" and even had their own fan zine with that name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 am

I never heard the term death metal to describe a band til bands like Death, Morbid Angel etc started actually releasing albums, but I do remember the title from Possessed's Seven Churches, also stylistically IMO Possessed seemed to be the predecessor of those types of bands soundwise, thou personally I felt most of the bands that followed were alot more talented.
Back to top Go down
Zze
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Sarcófago was way too extreme for 1987, I think only Napalm Death and Repulsion where that extreme in that year
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Ur forgetting Motorhead, been there, done, next.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

stepcousin wrote:

Stuck in the 70's hey? What a decade, bro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was the first Death Metal ?   What was the first Death Metal ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What was the first Death Metal ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next