Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beer!

Go down 
+20
Troublezone
James B.
anthrax_fan
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
Lari
glassprison
Boris2008
bassman
Stender
exact33
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
nevermore
Fat Freddy
akeldama
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
DeathCult
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 pm

We don't get that. Wonder how it compares to the Deschutes Abyss stuff?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 12:14 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
We don't get that. Wonder how it compares to the Deschutes Abyss stuff?

We don't get that either, as is the case with most of the beers Toho praises Smile.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 8:31 am

I had Boulevard's Rye On Rye last night.  It's ale aged in two different kind of rye barrels.  Great stuff, sort of sweet.  It's a seasonal and since I loved it last year I wiped out the shelf when I saw it again this year.  Good thing because it seems to have disappeared already.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 am

Hopefully I get working soon so I can get back to squandering money on beer. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 12:42 pm

This seemed appropriate for July 4th drinking:
I was in the beer store last night on my way home from work and found a display of "Narragansett" beer (a cheap but tasty lager originally from Rhode Island, tho it's actually contract brewed by Genesee in Rochester, NY nowadays) honoring the beer's small but pivotal cameo appearance in the original "Jaws" (which, of course, took place on July 4th weekend) when Capt. Quint dramatically chugged a Narragansett and then crushed the can.

Beer! - Page 18 Narragansett_KillerBeer_Crushit-e1347033715943-400x304

To commemorate the film/beer, Narragansett is going "throwback" and using their 1970s can design for a limited time this summer.

Beer! - Page 18 Gansett_1975retro_3inch

The back of the can reads:

"Hi Neighbor!
You're lucky enough to be holding a genuine, collectible limited edition Retro 'Gansett Lager can. The graphics on this can are the ones we used throughout the 1970s. And yes, this is the can that the Captain crushed in that famous movie about the big-ass shark."

...so of course, I had to buy a 12 pack. Laughing very hard
Maybe I'll even watch "Jaws" while having a few of these.
Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 pm

That's really cool.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Finally found some Founder's "Mas Agave" at my favorite beer store today.

This is a hard one to judge especially since I don't like tequila. 

This is a gose beer with lime and agave added then aged in tequila barrels.  Gose beers typically are really low ABV but this one weighs in at 10.0 ABV. 

I'm not sure what I think yet.  I definitely get the lime and some salt flavor but there's a slightly underlying sweetness which I assume is the agave.  Very strange brew.  Not sure what I think yet but at least it's not a drainpour.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 pm

I'm not a fan of Gose, keep your sweaty socks out of my beer. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Picked up one from Deschutes today called "Black Mirror" along with two bottles of a new stout from Avery called "Two Barrel Stout" - it's a stout flavored with maple, coffee and cinnamon and aged in bourbon barrels.  Damn 12 oz bottle was $13 but knowing Avery and their track record on these one-off barrel releases I sprung for 2 bottles. The checkout clerk told me this one is outstanding so I've got one chilling now.

EDIT:  Wow, with a name like "Black Mirror" I expected this Deschutes beer to be a stout.  Nope, it's a pitch-black barleywine.  I think it's the American take on the barleywine style because it's not as sweet or toffee-like as the English version but this is still pretty tasty.  Not sure what gives it the really dark color though.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Bought another bottle of "Black Mirror" over the weekend (and the last bottle of Two Barrel Stout that they had).

I wasn't sure what to make of the dark American barleywine after one bottle but now I've decided I like it.  It's definitely different.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Anybody else tried Yuengling's new "Golden Pilsner" yet? Good stuff, esp on a hot day.

Beer! - Page 18 Yuengling-golden-pilsner-new-beer

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 9:26 pm

I've been buying more "hot day" type beers lately too.  Most of them are double IPAs with various tropical fruits added (like orange, coconut and mango).

Normally that's not my type of beer but in the summer when the heat index is in the 100s, those taste great to me.  When it's hot as Hades my normal beer fare of dark ales and stouts just doesn't cut it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I've been buying more "hot day" type beers lately too.  Most of them are double IPAs with various tropical fruits added (like orange, coconut and mango).

Normally that's not my type of beer but in the summer when the heat index is in the 100s, those taste great to me.  When it's hot as Hades my normal beer fare of dark ales and stouts just doesn't cut it.

Yeah, heavy stuff like that works better in the wintertime. In summer you want something lighter that's not gonna sit in your stomach like a ton of bricks. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 pm

There's a local that makes a great Pilsner I've had a couple times and helps beat the heat.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Trying a new one you might be able to find DH:  Squatter's Brewery's "Outer Darkness" Russian Imperial Stout.  The brewery is in Salt Lake City so that's much closer to your neck of the woods. So far I'd say it's not quite up to Stone's RIS but it's tasty nonetheless.  And it's in a can (which still seems weird to me; canned beer has come a loooooong way from the days when the can added a metallic taste to the contents).

I don't think anything will ever top North Coast's "Old Rasputin" as my favorite RIS but Stone's is the best, "budget-priced" RIS.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 11:56 pm

Never even heard of Squatter's Brewery but I'd like to try that. We went to a local brewery called Single Hill tonight and they have a black lager that is amazing. Finding I really like the style.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 am

Beer! - Page 18 B02cc7ec56acc320aa8bd80d46f67bf5e657768d_ommegang-hennipin

Not the strongest Belgian, but enough to effect me, especially after a 10 hour shift in 100+ degree weather (which is why I waited until bedtime to drink it). Had bought a 6 pack several years ago and the last one has been in the fridge almost as long, figured it was time to polish it off. Forgot how much I love Belgian style beer. When it finally cools off I may start having some more often. Though my days of experimenting with beer is over as I recently got rid of about 4 gallons of various beers over the years that I didn't really like. Best to just stick with what I know.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 am

Enjoy a good Belgian and I hear great stuff about Ommegang.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Ommegang makes great Belgians.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Picked up a single pint of Evil Twin's latest "dessert beer" called "Imperial Wedding Cake Break".

Basically this tastes a lot like all of their other entries in the series (Imperial Donut Break, Imperial Biscotti Break, etc).

It's good (as are all their other entries in the series) but they're all starting to run together. There may be a tad more vanilla in the finish of this one but at 5.99 a can that's not enough to justify the price.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Tried a new NA beer by a company called "Wellbeing Brewing" that claims to brew "craft" non-alcoholic beers. Apparently they have a couple of NA stouts but I couldn't find those around here; all I could find was an amber lager and a wheat beer and I got a sixer of each.

It's hard to be objective because neither of those styles of beer are particular favorites of mine so neither knocked my socks off. I will say that for NA beers they at least tasted "somewhat" like "real" beer; much moreso than crap like O'douls. I actually liked the wheat beer better and it only has 68 calories (the amber lager has 80 per can). No doubt I'll finish these with no problem but I don't feel the need to buy either one again. I'd like to get my hands on their stouts though; then I could tell whether this is really "craft" NA beer or not.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 12:48 am

Despite claiming not wanting to experiment again, but I was at H.E.B. and this was one of the very few craft beers that's not IPA (IPAs seem to be the craft beer of choice in Texas-even Stonecold Steve Austin's new beer is an IPA) and I was in the mood for a beer. Part of a variety pack:

Beer! - Page 18 00c8fb829136f5d64aea0f6839c08592_1280x1280
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26762/76498/

Says it's a Porter but it's damn near a stout. Has the strong coffee-like flavor reminiscent of stout but still enjoyable. Also a bit on the boozy side that fits it's high ABV. While I can work on a large bottle of a Belgian, when it comes to stouts (or in this case a porter) I'm better off with regular sized ones as I was able to finish the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 pm

That sounds right up my alley.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Mine too. Best way to experiment is with flights.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I don't have a good place for flights anymore. The craft beer bar that was close to me closed about 6 months ago. I've tried a few places since then but none of them have enough selection to interest me.

Beer! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beer!
Page 18 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next