Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOBHM

Go down 
+11
Witchfinder
John Madden
manny
80s Metal Lady
HeavyThrashhead
Glower
Wrecked Neck
BearOnUnicycle
chewie
Wurthless
candlemass
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 am

Wurthless wrote:
dude, NWOBHM is so much more than punk-infused metal...

Agreed, NWOBHM really runs the gamut of styles...but the more punk infused stuff is my favorite. I like that shit sounding dirty as hell.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39718

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 11:08 am

I'd love to check into these bands a bit more but I just don't have the resources. Everything I've heard listed out of this genre sounds superb.
Back to top Go down
HeavyThrashhead
Metal student
Metal student
HeavyThrashhead

Number of posts : 214

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 am

i saw Blind Fury was mentioned. while i really like 'em, but they were just Satan but under a different name. pretty much the same members that recorded Court in the Act but with Lou Taylor on vocals in instaid of Brian Ross who went on to reform Blitzkrieg.

but still a great album but by 1985 the NWOBHM was actually declared dead. everyone who i've seen who were there pretty much said that the scene and movement died.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 1:41 pm

I don't really know how that discounts them from being a part of the scene, though. Maybe new bands within the movement were few and far between, but that doesn't mean the bands that were making music already were somehow not NWOBHM anymore.

I was aware they were just Satan with a different singer, but wouldn't that just make their sound an extension of the sound they forged during the timeframe where you consider NWOBHM to still be a "scene"? They were still a band from that scene, it's just that "Out of Reach" was recorded two or three years past the peak of the movement.

I dunno, it's all just semantics anyway. It's good music regardless of how you categorize it, I'm sure we can agree on that.
Back to top Go down
HeavyThrashhead
Metal student
Metal student
HeavyThrashhead

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I don't really know how that discounts them from being a part of the scene, though. Maybe new bands within the movement were few and far between, but that doesn't mean the bands that were making music already were somehow not NWOBHM anymore.

I was aware they were just Satan with a different singer, but wouldn't that just make their sound an extension of the sound they forged during the timeframe where you consider NWOBHM to still be a "scene"? They were still a band from that scene, it's just that "Out of Reach" was recorded two or three years past the peak of the movement.

I dunno, it's all just semantics anyway. It's good music regardless of how you categorize it, I'm sure we can agree on that.

i understand. i was just though setting Candlemass straight in the whole "it cleaned up it's act by 1985", to some it was dead by 1983 and i can somewhat understand that statement, but i think it ended truely in 1986.

but i'm totally making my own words up just to set someone straight, i've seen quite abit of brit's who lived that time have said that it died by 1983 and one person i've heard say that the reason is that many band's were trying to go for the sound of Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and for that hurt the scene, i can understand that but i don't agree with that fully. there were still band's that still had the raw edge but again due to band's like Raven, Tygers of Pan Tang, Def Leppard and so forth going for a more commercial sound i understand, the commercial material from Raven and who ever were not that great and for someone to say that it matured and got better i can't sit with, sure Pyromania sold like chickens but it lead to Def Leppard dumbing their music down, i don't care what Joe Elliot says, he's kind of an idiot, On Through the Night was not punk infused music, it was very Thin Lizzy influenced wich most of those NWOBHM band's were very much influenced by Thin Lizzy, Joe Elliot has said that Thin Lizzy were and still are one of his favorite bands, High 'n' Dry has more of a AC/DC sound, Pyromania still had some of that sound left but the production got bigger, but so did their ego's, Hysteria is f*cking pop drizzled shitness and after that Def Leppard went through a faze where they labaled themselfs as Pop, not even Hard Rock anymore, just Pop, but Joe has though changed i guess since they did go and played some pertty material on that live album from two or three years ago.

pretty much what i'm saying is that the NWOBHM did not get better, that would imply that it would have stuck to about 1988, but it did not, it got weaker and eventually died, not because of band's sticking to their guns, but to band's making bad decisions, mainstream is not always the right path to greatness, 'cos the mainstream does not know what is good, look at the mainstream now, it's now always what's the flavor of the month, they don't know shit, hell, when Raven and Tygers of Pan Tang went and changed their sound, not only did people did not like it, but the mainstream turned around and f*cked 'em, what ever was promised ended up getting thrown out the window, the mainstream should not be trusted, they just want ca$h and for people to kiss their ass, that is why the NWOBHM died, why hair metal died back in the 80's and Thrash dying, the mainstream sucked it, that's why if band's stick to their guns, things would turn good, Diamond Head sure got their shit together, but it took 'em until 2016 to figure that out, 'cos the new album from Diamond Head is just as good as Borrowed Time.

got that out of my system.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 3:04 am

What kills any new scene, or movement is not bad choices from bands or management, but over saturation. Take the new(ish) retro 70's bands that are popping up everywhere you turn. It started to gather steam a few years ago, and then all of a sudden, just about every new band coming out these days all look and sound like they came from 1975. It's starting to get old and tired, so most of these bands will fall into obscurity, and only a handful kitchen will make careers for themselves. Those few that last will do so because they stand out slightly above the rest. Same as the NWOBHM movement. Yes, some bands made bad choices or had shit management, but most of them faded away, because they just didn't have enough of their own sound to keep a solid fan base.

It's the same thing that happened to the crappy glam scene in the mid to late 80's. Once the dust settled there were only a few left standing. Same as NWOBHM imo.
Back to top Go down
HeavyThrashhead
Metal student
Metal student
HeavyThrashhead

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
What kills any new scene, or movement is not bad choices from bands or management, but over saturation. Take the new(ish) retro 70's bands that are popping up everywhere you turn. It started to gather steam a few years ago, and then all of a sudden, just about every new band coming out these days all look and sound like they came from 1975. It's starting to get old and tired, so most of these bands will fall into obscurity, and only a handful kitchen will make careers for themselves. Those few that last will do so because they stand out slightly above the rest. Same as the NWOBHM movement. Yes, some bands made bad choices or had shit management, but most of them faded away, because they just didn't have enough of their own sound to keep a solid fan base.

It's the same thing that happened to the crappy glam scene in the mid to late 80's. Once the dust settled there were only a few left standing. Same as NWOBHM imo.

i like how your not questioning Thrash?...care to explain?.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 8:21 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
dude, NWOBHM is so much more than punk-infused metal...

Agreed, NWOBHM really runs the gamut of styles...but the more punk infused stuff is my favorite. I like that shit sounding dirty as hell.

For the most part, when compared to Priest, Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow..., it just sounded tinny and generic to me, but I suppose "dirty" works as well!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 pm

HeavyThrashhead wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

i like how your not questioning Thrash?...care to explain?.
Sure copy and paste what I said about retro bands and then apply that to thrash and there you have it. I was using those as examples not the end-all-be-all to everything. I'm not going to go through every single genre of music and list why such and such as this way and that way. That's not the point of what I was saying. This topic is about every genre basically in a certain time frame.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 2:15 am

Love this genre...here are my favorites...

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 2:28 am

^^^nice, never heard of Jaguar before. Kind of like those two songs, might check them out more. Good choices on the other two also. headbanger
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 10:41 am

The second Jaguar song in that video ("War Machine") gets regular rotation on my mp3 player.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6340

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 12:01 pm

The world would be a worse place to live in if it wasn't for the NWOBHM movement. Especially the world of heavy metal music.

It's gone now, and has been for a long time. But why are we focused on how it died, when we can just enjoy all the music that was recorded, not to mention all the music it inspired?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NWOBHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM   NWOBHM - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOBHM
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2