Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Demon NWOBHM

Go down 
+8
Required Fields
manny
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
brontotex
krokus
TrogDawn
SAHB Healer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Just got their Live in Germany CD,"One Helluva Night". An acquired taste for sure, but I usually liked them. Kinda unique. Started out NWOBHM, then went to almost AORish creepy melodic rock, then bizarre prog, then back to metal again. The first album or two were pretty well regarded; but I gotta think they were a major disappointment for most early black metal fans. Not very "evil" at all.
Any fans or haters of this band out there? Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Heard of, but never actually heard. I love pretty much all things NWOBHM though, so I'd be interested in giving them a listen for sure. Demon NWOBHM 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 4:19 pm

I'm not sure I'd unreservedly recommend them; even though I like them. They are one of those weird NWOBHM bands like Mantas solo, Saracen, Nightwing, White Spirit, and so on. I'd say they are maybe the NWOBHM equivilant of Blue Oyster Cult, sort of.
Back to top Go down

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 6:17 pm

I've heard about maybe 6 or 7 NWOBHM bands (not counting Maiden or Def Leppard) and all of them have been amazing and unique. I'll definately have to track down some Demon. If anyone has any suggestions about NWOBHM bands that I need to hear, I will gladly accept any advice.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

You also can compare them with PRAYING MANTIS, their early singles and first lp was very NWOBHM and later they went more and more into HARD AOR/MELODIC HARD ROCK. You got a good poing SAHB HEALER. Also the first SARACEN album was very NWOBHM with 70s influences but their second album was more melodic hard rock. SILVERWING was also a great melodic NWOBHM band, and TOBRUK of course.
DEMON were great. One of my fave albums by this band BLOWOUT from 1992. Increible great songs. TAKEN THE WORLD BY STORM is again a underrated album by the band. HAIL DEMON FOREVER!!!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:19 pm

firestar wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions about NWOBHM bands that I need to hear, I will gladly accept any advice.
These are essential, IMO:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Diamond Head - Borrowed Time
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (aka The White Album)
Handsome Beasts - Beastiality
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Holocaust - Live: Hot Curry & Wine
Jaguar - Power Games
Raven - Rock Until You Drop
Raven - Wiped Out
Raven - Crash Bang Wallop!
Raven - All for One
Raven - Mad
Satan - Court in the Act
Savage - Loose 'n' Lethal
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Tygers of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
Tygers of Pan Tang - The Cage
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:19 pm

firestar wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions about NWOBHM bands that I need to hear, I will gladly accept any advice.

Jaguar - Power Games
Raven - Wiped Out
Raven - All for One
Raven - Mad
Satan - Court in the Act
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:21 pm

I had "Night Of The Demon" on vinyl back in the day. Good Stuff.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 7:57 pm

krokus wrote:
and TOBRUK of course.

Tobruk was great. They were able to sustain a really hard charging party vibe, not as cheesy as most melodic bands mentioned here.
Back to top Go down

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 8:56 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
firestar wrote:

Jaguar - Power Games
Raven - Wiped Out
Raven - All for One
Raven - Mad
Satan - Court in the Act
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

Thanks for the reccomendations Smile

I have a good head start on Diamond Head, got behold the beginning and the white album at the flea market over the summer and just got Death and Progress in the mail. What is borrowed time like in comparison? Worth the high price it gets on ebay? Any thoughts on their Canterbury album?

A friend of mine from another board sent me cdrs of Tygers.... the cage, Jaguar Power games, Witchfinder General- Death Penalty, Angel Witch-S/t, Holocaust- Nightcomers, legend anthology so it good to see many of those here so I know I am getting some of the best of the genre so I know what I am getting myself into.

Have heard Saxon's Unleash the beast but not sure how that compares to the older stuff?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:25 am

For a brief time (this weekend only), you can pick up some Demon at Open Grave Records for $4 bucks each...cigarette scent included free with every order.

http://www.opengraveshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_6&sort=20a&page=16

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:45 am

I only have heard one of their albums, and it was the AORish creepy melodic rock version. Didnt like it much. The local store by me has about eight copies of 4 different albums from them though. Always thought about it, but after my misstep, not sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 am

DeathCult wrote:
I only have heard one of their albums, and it was the AORish creepy melodic rock version. Didnt like it much. The local store by me has about eight copies of 4 different albums from them though. Always thought about it, but after my misstep, not sure.

Yea, I'm kinda on the fence with these guys too. I was interested in the NWOBHM aspect, but from some samples I've heard, I'm not overly impressed.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Yea, I'm kinda on the fence with these guys too. I was interested in the NWOBHM aspect, but from some samples I've heard, I'm not overly impressed.

See, Im under the assumption only their first two or so are probably NWOBHM, this store only seems to have the live album and three other releases, the one I know I dont like, but neither of the other ones are from the time period Im guessing they had that sound during, so unless I could unload them on Trog in a trade, I doubt Id pick them up just because Im sure they all have that AOR type to em.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:17 am

Like Metalguy I checked them out and was very disappointed, I suppose I was expecting something closer to the NWOBHM but it was a little more light weight than that, someone on here compared them to Blue Oyster Cult, I can somewhat agree, a very watered down Blue Oyster Cult.
Back to top Go down

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:24 am

One of those bands that I wanted to like, but just couldn't. It's like they wanted to use the lyrical imagery of the NWOBHM bands without bothering to really "rock".

At least that's my take.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:40 am

DeathCult wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

See, Im under the assumption only their first two or so are probably NWOBHM, this store only seems to have the live album and three other releases, the one I know I dont like, but neither of the other ones are from the time period Im guessing they had that sound during, so unless I could unload them on Trog in a trade, I doubt Id pick them up just because Im sure they all have that AOR type to em.

There's a "Greatest Hits" disc that's part of the $4 deal, but if it follows their entire career, there isn't much in the NWOBHM category early on. I found a few other cd's that I'm probably of getting, so any Demon cd's I had in my cart were dumped in favor of those.

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 pm

How the hell did I miss this thread? Haha.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 pm

krokus wrote:
You also can compare them with PRAYING MANTIS, their early singles and first lp was very NWOBHM and later they went more and more into HARD AOR/MELODIC HARD ROCK. You got a good poing SAHB HEALER. Also the first SARACEN album was very NWOBHM with 70s influences but their second album was more melodic hard rock. SILVERWING was also a great melodic NWOBHM band, and TOBRUK of course.
DEMON were great. One of my fave albums by this band BLOWOUT from 1992. Increible great songs. TAKEN THE WORLD BY STORM is again a underrated album by the band. HAIL DEMON FOREVER!!!

Praying Mantis were only really NWOBHM on their demos, from what I remember. From their first full length album onwards, all of their stuff is pretty much exclusively AOR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 6:23 am

Is this worth getting?

Demon NWOBHM Demon_-_The_Best_Of_Demon_%28Volume_One%29_-_Front

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Is this worth getting?

Demon NWOBHM Demon_-_The_Best_Of_Demon_%28Volume_One%29_-_Front

Definitely.
A nice introduction with highlights from their various albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 am

I enjoy Demon a lot-this song is creepy as hell:
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:06 pm

I purchased two albums by demon last week in Europe: night of the demon and best of volume 1. The music is really really good. I am definitely going to add more of their albums to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Demon NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon NWOBHM   Demon NWOBHM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demon NWOBHM
Page 1 of 1