Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great White

Go down 
+12
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
glassprison
nevermore
mikeinfla
manny
Fat Freddy
brokentulsa
metalinmyveins
chewie
James B.
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12750

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Okay...

It was major bummer when 90 % (or more)of this section went wherever it went with the server glitch.   Lots of us did some serious work on pages n pages of different bands.  I've been on a Great White kick lately, so here we go.

Great White- "Out Of The Night"  EP
1983 Aegean Records
Recorded November of 1982
Total Access Recordings- Redondo Beach, California
Produced by Michael Wagener, Don Dokken, and Alan Niven

Great White OutoftheNightGW

The Band-
Jack Russell - lead vocals
Mark Kendall - guitar, backing vocals
Lorne Black - bass
Gary Holland - drums, backing vocals

The Tunes-
1."Out of the Night" - 2:14
2."On Your Knees" - 3:42
3."Last Time" - 4:19
4."No Way" - 2:57
5."Dead End" - 3:22

Great White, a band that ended up becoming mainstream popular for a style much different than what is found on this EP.  A few of these songs were re-recorded for the full length major label debut.  I almost sold this after buying the Enigma re-issue a few years later, glad I didn't.  The mix on this is not big budget, but far from garage either. Too bad they didn't stick with this style. I get why they didn't though, you have to go with your strengths. Mark has a left hand better suited for the blues than trying to keep up with what else was happening musically in and around The Basin at the time and especially a few short years down the road. Killer EP (IMHDO)

Here is some audio if anybody might want to put some ears on it, the full EP

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 12:45 am

That's an excellent Ep! I picked that up when I was down in LA a few years ago. Yea, I was disappointed in the direction they later went in.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 7:48 am

I got this one cheap a few years back. I love early Great White! I also wish the band would have kept pumping out music that was in the same vein of this E.P and their debut.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Excellent Ep...those early years were great..I agree, Its a shame they didn't stick with the sound of the first 2 albums and the ep's...

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Great White- S/T
Released March of 1984 on EMI America Records
Produced by Michael Wagner
Recorded at Total Access Recording. Redondo Beach, California
Great White 220px-Greatwhite-greatwhitre1

The Band-
Jack Russell - lead and backing vocals
Mark Kendall - guitar, backing vocals
Lorne Black - bass, backing vocals
Gary Holland - drums, backing vocals

The Tunes-
1."Out of the Night" (Mark Kendall, Jack Russell, Gary Holland, Lorne Black) - 2:56
2."Stick It" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black, Alan Niven) - 3:56
3."Substitute" (Pete Townshend) - 4:20
4."Bad Boys" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black, Niven) - 4:18
5."On Your Knees" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black, Don Dokken) - 3:50
Side two6."Streetkiller" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black) - 3:55
7."No Better Than Hell" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black, Michael Wagener) - 4:05
8."Hold On" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black) - 4:10
9."Nightmares" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black, Niven) - 3:20
10."Dead End" (Kendall, Russell, Holland, Black) - 3:32

This was reissued in the late 90's on Axe Killer Records with these bonus songs...
"Down at the Doctor" (Mickey Jupp) - 3:40 (Dr. Feelgood cover)
"Train to Nowhere" (Kim Simmonds, Chris Youlden) - 4:27 (Savoy Brown cover)
"The Hunter" (Carl Wells, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones) - 4:12 (Albert King cover)
"Red House" (Jimi Hendrix) - 8:46 (Jimi Hendrix cover).
"Rock 'n' Roll" (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham) - 3:44 (Led Zeppelin cover)

...and this cover
Great White 220px-StickGW

This has the first song I ever heard by the band on the radio, which was "Street Killer". The local KCAL FM out of Redlands, California had a nightly (M-F) 11PM 3 song offering of new local-ish hard rock/metal bands. I remember blasting this a lot when new, but thought it odd they'd chosen to cover The Who tune "Substitute". It was the "elephant in the room" on the album. Looking back in hindsight, it made sense when you look at what they put out next.

-

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Stick It(and I think On Your Knees) got a lot of radio play on KSJO and KOME. Killer album.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Great White- Shot In The Dark
Released March of 1986 on Greenworld Records and later by Capital Records
Recorded June and December 1985, March 1986 at Total Access Recordings, Redondo Beach, California
Produced by Wyn Davis and Alan Niven ("Face The Day")
Great White 220px-Shotgw

The Band-
Jack Russell - lead vocals
Mark Kendall - lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Lorne Black - bass
Audie Desbrow - drums

The Tunes-
Side one
1"She Shakes Me" (Mark Kendall, Jack Russell, Alan Niven) - 3:25
2."What Do You Do" (Michael Lardie, Russell, Kendall) - 4:13
3."Face the Day" (John Brewster, Bernard "Doc" Neeson, Rick Brewster) - 5:20 (The Angels cover)
4."Gimme Some Lovin'" (Steve Winwood, Spencer Davis, Mervyn "Muff" Winwood) - 3:52 (The Spencer Davis Group cover)
Side two
5."Shot in the Dark" (Kendall, Niven) - 4:52
6."Is Anybody There" (Russell, Jerry Lynn Williams) - 4:57
7."Run Away" (Williams, Niven) - 4:18
8."Waiting for Love" (Williams, Kendall, Niven) - 4:19
Japanese CD edition bonus track
9."Red House" (Jimi Hendrix) - 8:46

I auditioned for the drummer stool after they dumped Gary Holland.  Played with Mark when he was in Dante Fox.

Track by Track- (IMHDO)

"She Shakes Me"    This has a guitar tone and riff that might have worked on the previous album, but the drums could have been more dynamic.
"What Do You Do"  Catchy riff... I love the solo on this song   The big chorus clashes with Jack's voice.
"Face The Day"   Another great cover by the band.  Got me checking out The Angel's (Angel City) more closer.  Good band
"Gimme Some Lovin"   I like it more today than back then.  
"Shot In The Dark"   The "other" great song on the album.  The starting part of what was to come later on.
"Is Anybody There"  I am glad Jack adjusted his tone on the ballads that came afterwards. Generic...
"Run Away"  A song I believe was written to be played in a more metal style.
"Waiting For Love"   total suckage
"Red House"  Watched a clip but don't know if it is actually from this era or later

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37849

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm

The debut and Shot in the Dark are still my favorite GW's to this day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Great White- Once Bitten...
Released June of 1987 on Capital Records
Recorded at Total Access Recordings Redondo Beach, California
Produced by Alan Niven, Mark Kendall, and Michael Lardie.
Great White OnceBitten

The Band-
Jack Russell - lead and backing vocals
Mark Kendall - lead guitar, backing vocals
Michael Lardie - guitar, keyboards, harmonica, backing vocals
Lorne Black - bass, backing vocals
Audie Desbrow - drums

The Tunes- With commentary for each (IMHDO)
1."Lady Red Light" (Mark Kendall, Jack Russell, Alan Niven, Michael Lardie) - 4:53
A nice opening riff...Jack's voice is adjusted nice fir this style...a couple of great hooks.
2."Gonna Getcha" (Kendall, Niven, Lardie) - 4:13
Might have been a better opener with all the cool little guitar fills.
3."Rock Me" (Kendall, Russell, Niven, Lardie) - 7:19
Straight up killer song in so many ways...play it loud or don't waste your time.
4."All Over Now" (Kendall, Niven, Lardie) - 4:21
A back beat on the verses might have done this song some good ?
5."Mistreater" (Kendall, Russell, Niven, Lorne Black) - 5:49
Probably the second best song on the album. The piano is a great touch.
6."Never Change Heart" (Kendall, Russell, Niven) - 4:27
Sounds like a leftover from the previous album.
7."Fast Road" (Kendall, Russell, Niven, Black, Audie Desbrow, Lardie) - 3:40
Has the elements to be a good song, but somehow is very generic. Trying way too hard to be what they used to be.
8."On the Edge" (Kendall, Russell, Niven) - 6:01
See what a back beat can do to a song
9."Save Your Love" (Jerry Lynn Williams, Russell) - 5:46
Well written and performed ballad that isn't as syrupy as the title implies.

Says it went Platinum in 1988 and reached #23 on the Billboard Charts.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I heard 'Shout in the Dark' first and is how I discovered The Angels due to their cover of 'Save the Day'
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 6:49 pm

I saw GW opening for Whitesnake when they were touring the "Once Bitten" record. Great show, it's what made me a fan. I went out and bought Once Bitten the next day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 am

Great White- Recovery Live
1987 Enigma Records
Produced by Alan Niven

Great White 220px-Great_White_-_Recovery%2C_Live%21_%281988%29

The Band-
Jack Russell: Lead Vocals
Mark Kendall: Guitar
Lorne Black: Bass
Audie Desbrow: Drums
Gary Holland: Drums (1983 show)

5 cover tunes recrded in 1987 and 5 songs from a concert in 1983. Pasadena Civic Center, if you listen real close you can hear me scream in the audience.

The Tunes- (with commentary)all IMHDO)
1."Immigrant Song" The vocals are decent, but the guitar tone and lack of drive/attack drums pretty much suck. Even it being laid down on two track doesn't excuse poor performances.
2."Rock 'N Roll" They did this tune better than the above Zeppelin tune. The drums are still not right. The end was cool though.
3."Money (That's What I Want)" One of the most interesting Beatle covers ever.
4."Red House" Hendrix done with two guitars. Nice cover.
5."I Don't Need No Doctor" Dig me some Pie, so I dig this. Nobody can sing like Marriot but Jack does okay.
6."Hard and Cold" I think this is a cover tune, not sure ? The chorus is too unlike anything else they were doing at the time.
7."Substitute" If I'd a only knew then in 1983 what was coming. It was cool then I suppose ?
8."Street Killer" The intro is killer, no pun intended. great version.
9."Bad Boys" The drums sound so much better than on the EP. Jack says it's about "redemption"
10."Stick It" This shows why they and Armored Saint were my favorite local bands back then in 1983.

There is also the version with the "On Your Knees" reissue included
Great White 220px-RecoveryGW

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 11:35 am

Great White-...Twice Shy
Released April 12, 1989 on Capital Records
Recorded at Total Access Recording. Redondo Beach, California
Produced by Alan Niven
Great White 220px-TwiceShy

The Band-
Jack Russell – vocals
Mark Kendall – guitar, backing vocals
Michael Lardie – guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
Tony Montana – bass guitar
Audie Desbrow – drums

The Tunes- (w/ commentary IMHDO)

"Move It" Sets the mood for the album, not a bad opener.

"Heart the Hunter" Hey Jack, Don Dokken called and wants his lyrics back. Nice solo

"Hiway Nights" The simple double kick changes the dynamic nicely, or it would be "Rock Me" part 2

"The Angel Song" Awesome tune, one of the better piano solos in a rock song ever.

"Mista Bone" Nice little diversion musically to give the album a unique balance.

"Baby's on Fire" Catchy tune

"House of Broken Love" This is Great White doing what they do best.

"She Only" The solo at the end...just wow. Could've been a single ?

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" Cool cover...this tune was everywhere back then.

One of the better blues based hard rock albums from that era. (IMHDO)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40462

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 12:54 pm

I used to have both Recovery Live and Twice Shy on cassette but I have since gotten rid of them. I haven't heard either of these albums in a very long time. This makes me miss having them. Perhaps I can re-obtain them somewhere down the line on cd.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 9:52 am

Great White- Live In London
Recorded December 11, 1989 at Wembley Arena, London U.K
Released 1990 on Capital/EMI Japan
Great White 220px-LondonGW

The Tines...
1."Move It" - 5:57
2."Heart the Hunter" - 5:23
3."On Your Knees" - 4:06
4."House of Broken Love" - 6:12
5."Face the Day" - 5:24
6."All Over Now" - 5:02
7."Once Bitten, Twice Shy" - 5:43

The Band...
Jack Russell - vocals
Mark Kendall - lead guitar
Michael Lardie - guitar, keyboards
Tony Montana - bass
Audie Desbrow - drums

Not a bad little sample of Great White in this time frame, maybe more tunes ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 10:33 am

I also had "Recovery Live" on cassette and loved it. I remember knowing the band from the song "Stick It" and i saw them open for Priest on the Defenders Of The Faith" tour. When "Rock Me" first came out they played it on the radio but said "We can't tell you who this is" and they wouldn't announce the artist for some reason. I never figured out it was GW until they actually announced it later on when playing it. Picked up that album when it came out, then went and got Stick It on cassette (whichever album had the back cover) and found "Recovery Live". I also agree the drums on R&R didn't sound quite right, could never figure out what it was but something was off with those drums.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Great White- Hooked
Released February 26, 1991 on Capitol Records
Recorded September - November 1990
Studio Total Access Recording, Redondo Beach, California
Producer Alan Niven and Michael Lardie
Great White File:Hooked

The Tunes-
"Call It Rock n' Roll"
"The Original Queen of Sheba"
"Cold Hearted Lovin'"
"Can't Shake It"
"Lovin' Kind"
"Heartbreaker"
"Congo Square"
"South Bay Cities"
"Desert Moon"
"Afterglow"

The Band-
Jack Russell – lead and backing vocals
Mark Kendall – guitars, backing vocals
Michael Lardie – guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
Tony Montana – bass
Audie Desbrow – drums

Another solid release from the band (IMHDO) with some good cover tunes originally done by The Angels (Angel City) and The Small Faces. I like this better than the previous two, especially "South Bay Cities" & "Desert Moon". I think this is the last big seller from the band, but far from being the last release with good to great music. Too bad these guys are only going to be remembered cause of the tragedy for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6q5Py5WIs

To be continued....

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

I saw G.W. open for the Scorpions when they were touring this record. If memory serves I went out & bought Hooked the next day.

It was probably the last G.W. album I bought as a new release. I liked it well enough but they kinda fell off my radar after that.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26395

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The debut and Shot in the Dark are still my favorite GW's to this day.

Mine too!!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 am

Hooked is the first Great White album I remember listening to. My dad used to play "Cold Hearted Lovin'" all the time. As the years passed and I became a huge fan of the band, it remains among my top 3 releases from the band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
It was probably the last G.W. album I bought as a new release.

If memory serves, Hooked was probably the first album of theirs that I bought in that new-fangled compact disc format that was all the rage back then. Definitely the first one I bought as a new release as well. I probably saw them live for the first time around that album as well. It wasn't opening for the Scorps though. They were headlining a small theater (Theater of Living Arts) in Philly. Bakers Pink opened for them.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Great White- The Blue EP
Released on Capitol Records in 1991
Great White BlueGW

The Tunes-
1."Train to Nowhere" (Kim Simmonds, Chris Youlden)
2."Weak Brain & Narrow Mind" (Willie Dixon)
3."Down at the Doctor" (Mickey Jupp) - 3:39
4."The Hunter" (Carl Wells, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones)
5."Congo Square" (Mark Kendall, Alan Niven)
6."Lovin' Kind" (Michael Lardie, Niven)

The Band-
Jack Russell - vocals
Mark Kendall - lead guitar
Michael Lardie - guitar, keyboards
Tony Montana - bass
Audie Desbrow - drums

I just recently found this via trade. A Japan only release of B-sides.  The covers are done pretty good. The last two tunes are on the previous album "Hooked".

If I'd known they'd made a video for this song, it would have been included in the post I did for "Hooked".  Since the tune is also on this EP, things worked out. I like this song.

Since I enjoy bands I dig doing covers by other bands I dig, this works for me.  I wouldn't call it a necessary purchase.  Just a nice little piece in time from Great White.

Till next time....Brother James

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40462

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

^^^ I never knew that existed. I like the sound of it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 pm

I bought "Blue EP" out of a mall record store bargain bin back in the late '90s. (it was rare to find anything Japanese on the cheap back then so I couldn't resist)... cool stuff.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 am

Never saw that one in real life, just on teh interwebbys. Most, it not all of those songs, have resurfaced on other releases though. I think I have them all except 'Weak Brain and Narrow Mind'. Don't believe I've heard that one before. I like it.

Great White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White   Great White Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great White
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next