Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great White- Something Fishy compilation

Go down 
+4
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
Vexer6
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Great White- Something Fishy compilation Empty
PostSubject: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 2:54 am

Hey, just wondering if anyone has this Great White bootleg compilation?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 pm

No. I have never even heard of it. Is there something special about it, Vexer, like unreleased songs or something only played live once?
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Yeah, it's a collection of rare Great White songs, some of which can't be found anywhere else.

Also slight correction, the actual title is Something Smells Fishy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 11:14 am

Great White- Something Fishy compilation Great-white-somethin-smells-fishy-1998-front-cover-68622

Great White- Something Fishy compilation Gw_ssf_b

Never heard of it either. I have some of those songs, but it still looks like a pretty sweet collection.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 pm

That actually looks pretty cool. I remember having Wasted Rock Ranger as a b side on a 45 back in the day but I don't think it was Great White. Leppard maybe?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 12:22 am

the sentinel wrote:
That actually looks pretty cool. I remember having Wasted Rock Ranger as a b side on a 45 back in the day but I don't think it was Great White. Leppard maybe?

I used to have the song on a cassette single, or cass-single. Remember those? Anyway, yes, it was Great White that performed it. You can find it on their 2001 Greatest Hits. It was written by a Brad Baker, but I don't know who that is. I guess Great White's version was a cover.

EDIT: Brad Baker was a sound tech/roadie that passed away in 2012

Quote :
Brad was an incredibly well-respected touring technician for a list of bands too long to name. Known affectionately in those circles as "Porque" (pronounced Porky), Brad traveled the world with the likes of REO Speedwagon, Journey, Loverboy, Prince and more. From a mixture of his road tales and the anecdotes I've heard from some of those who knew him in his former life, I can confidently say he had a predilection for partying harder than any of us are probably even capable of. During these decades, Baker wrote the song "Wasted Rock Ranger," which had a significant amount of commercial success for Great White. Rumors have long abounded that he also wrote Guns N' Roses' "Night Train," receiving a flat upfront payment and no formal credit — though most of us are highly skeptical about that one.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 8:27 am

From one Dave to another, thanks for the info. And, oh yes, I do remember cass- singles. I remember cutting the cardboard so it would fit in a plastic case, ha! I guess I was thinking of Lep cuz I collected the whole Hysteria singles on 45 and it made the album cover. My Mom took a picture back in the day when I spread them out on the kitchen table. Good times. I just don't remember having any GW 45's, so maybe I had the same cass- single as you?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 am

That's a cool little collection. So what are most of those? B-sides? Just some completed song that never made it onto any releases? Whatever, this is a perfect thing for completists.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

Wasted Rock Ranger was a B-side on the "Once Bitten Twice Shy" cassette single....I had it too. Smile If memory serves there was a third track on it too, but if so, I can't remember what it was... so don't quote me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 11:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Wasted Rock Ranger was a B-side on the "Once Bitten Twice Shy" cassette single....I had it too. Smile If memory serves there was a third track on it too, but if so, I can't remember what it was... so don't quote me.

'B*tches and Other Women' might have been on that one too. It was an acoustic medley of 3 or 4 songs strung together. Or not. It's possible that song was on a different cass-single. I had a few of them by Great White. They always stuck extra, unreleased songs on those things.

007 wrote:
That's a cool little collection. So what are most of those? B-sides? Just some completed song that never made it onto any releases? Whatever, this is a perfect thing for completists.

Here are the ones I have from that track list

1. B*tches and Other Women, as mentioned above was a medley of a Rolling Stone tune and 2 others that I can't remember now. It was on a cass-single
2. Wasted Rock Ranger - b-side
3. Slow Ride - b-side (NOT the Foghat song)
7. Down to the Doctor - I think this was a b-side from the Stick It album, but don't quote me on that one
10. Analog Kid - from the Rush tribute album 'Working Man'. I think that might only be Jack Russell and Mark Kendall, not the whole band
11. Sin City - from an AC/DC tribute album. Again, I'm not sure if that's the full band or just Russell and Kendall

They are the ones I know I own. There might be a few others as well. Most of these tracks are available on various hits and best of cds now. It'd still be cool to have them all on one disc though.

A look on Amazon list 65 different Great White releases, including studio, live, eps, and assorted best of and greatest hits comps. Good luck tracking them all down. Razz

ArtieTheOneManParty, who used to post here way back when, was the authority on all things Great White related. He probably had all them and more.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 pm

"Slow Ride" rings a bell...that may have been the 3rd song on my old Once Bitten, Twice Shy cassingle

I have a Hooked-era Japan-only disc called "The Blue EP" which has the "Bitches and Other Women" and "Down to the Doctor" tracks mentioned above on it, plus a few other blues covers.

Sin City is off the AC/DC tribute "Thunderbolt" which I recently acquired. I'm pretty sure its just Jack R. on vox with random other guys playing the rest of the parts cuz Thunderbolt was one of those assembly line "tributes" that were so common back in the 90s, with one guy from Band A, one from Band B, singer from Band C, etc. The only "full" band on that record was Quiet Riot, who do a pretty decent "Highway to Hell."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:59 pm

"Down At The Doctor" is a Dr. Feelgood cover. "Train To Nowhere" is a Savoy Brown cover. I have them on my Axekiller reissue of Stick It. It also has covers of "The Hunter" by Albert King, "Red House" by Jimi Hendrix and "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin. I don't think these were released at the time Stick It was released, but rather in the early 90s. Although, some of these tracks I have no idea when they were released because the liner notes suck.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Sin City is off the AC/DC tribute "Thunderbolt" which I recently acquired. I'm pretty sure its just Jack R. on vox with random other guys playing the rest of the parts cuz Thunderbolt was one of those assembly line "tributes" that were so common back in the 90s, with one guy from Band A, one from Band B, singer from Band C, etc. The only "full" band on that record was Quiet Riot, who do a pretty decent "Highway to Hell."

Same deal with 'Analog Kid'. I just checked. It's only Jack Russell supplying vocals. The rest of the band is Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan and other guys I never heard of. Good tune though.

Quote :
"Red House" by Jimi Hendrix
I'm pretty sure I had that one on a cass-single as well. It was Mark Kendall on vocals too, wasn't it?

Great White sure did alot of covers.

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 pm

There's also the EP "Great White Recovery: Live" (1987) which I had on cassette back in the 80s. Honestly, I like this EP better than any of their studio albums (or their own material for that matter).

1. Immigrant Song
2. Rock 'N' Roll
3. Money (That's What I Want)
4. Red House
5. I Don't Need No Doctor
6. Substitute

I think it was later expanded with additional tracks on CD, but I only ever owned the original cassette release.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:52 pm

I have a question about the 'Something Fishy' comp. Tracks 14 & 15 are credited as J. Russell 1985. Did he have an early solo album or ep before Great White?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
There's also the EP "Great White Recovery: Live" (1987) which I had on cassette back in the 80s.  Honestly, I like this EP better than any of their studio albums (or their own material for that matter).  

1. Immigrant Song
2. Rock 'N' Roll
4. Red House
6. Substitute

I think it was later expanded with additional tracks on CD, but I only ever owned the original cassette release.

I had that too (the cassette). And I agree, it was a great little EP.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:09 pm

I had the "Recovery: Live" tape too. As a matter of fact, I still have it. It's in the stash of tapes I keep in my desk drawer at work....and I'm looking at it right now! Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 pm

I still have my GW Recovery cassette too! I also have the expanded CD version with the On Your Knees EP at the beginning. I also have a deluxe edition of "Recover" which is a collection of 25 GW covers with a lot of them the Deadline/ Cleopatra stuff from assorted tributes.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 am

S.D. wrote:
There's also the EP "Great White Recovery: Live" (1987) which I had on cassette back in the 80s.  Honestly, I like this EP better than any of their studio albums (or their own material for that matter).  

1. Immigrant Song
2. Rock 'N' Roll
4. Red House
6. Substitute

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. I loved this tape! I think it had 2 different covers. Mine looked like this:

Great White- Something Fishy compilation $(KGrHqN,!oEF!QIw)4qmBQVSWE6onw~~60_35

And the other one looked like this:

Great White- Something Fishy compilation 220px-RecoveryGW

I don't know if it was just a different cover or if it had different songs. Either way it was my favorite Great White cassette.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
S.D. wrote:

1. Immigrant Song
2. Rock 'N' Roll
4. Red House
6. Substitute

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. I loved this tape! I think it had 2 different covers. Mine looked like this:

Great White- Something Fishy compilation $(KGrHqN,!oEF!QIw)4qmBQVSWE6onw~~60_35

I don't know if it was just a different cover or if it had different songs. Either way it was my favorite Great White cassette.

I found that cassette at a Goodwill and snagged it right up along with a Slayer(SNM) and Megadeth(KIMB) tape.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 am

I can't remember but I think the hot chick was featured on the inside, later when it was expanded for CD I think they put her on the cover. I have seen about 3-4 different covers for that album. Wish I still had it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great White- Something Fishy compilation   Great White- Something Fishy compilation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great White- Something Fishy compilation
Page 1 of 1