Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)

Go down 
+22
Dark Horseman
exact33
Wrecked Neck
glassprison
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
Thelemech
metalinmyveins
James B.
Witchfinder
mc666
Grimmo
ultmetal
manny
scottmitchell74
Aaron_D
nevermore
Gilbert
Required Fields
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 10:28 pm

I don't believe that physical format is dying. Every time i go to europe, i notice that cd/vinyl/dvd shops are pretty busy with even more customers. The metal sections at some some of these shops were too crowded! And new items were constantly being added. Weird.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 am

The irony about physical formats diminishing, is that old formats are making a comeback. Overkill's latest album is available on cassette, .... along with other recent releases!

https://www.discogs.com/Overkill-The-Grinding-Wheel/release/9811662

I'm still waiting for my CD to arrive in the post, ... but based on listening to most of the tracks on Youtube, I think this will be my most enjoyable since Ironbound, ... and I love all their albums.

P.S. Should keep me sane when our first child arrives! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 am

Grimmo wrote:
The irony about physical formats diminishing, is that old formats are making a comeback. Overkill's latest album is available on cassette, .... along with other recent releases!

I'm still waiting for my CD to arrive in the post, ... but based on listening to most of the tracks on Youtube, I think this will be my most enjoyable since Ironbound, ... and I love all their albums.

Funny thing is that i got necroshine on cassette a few months ago, before eventually picking it up on cd. But i cannot find a radio cassette around anymore.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 am

The Grinding Wheel is stellar! I think its one of their best and I love everything they've released. Great job!
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Grimmo wrote:

Funny thing is that i got necroshine on cassette a few months ago, before eventually picking it up on cd. But i cannot find a radio cassette around anymore.

For radio cassette options, you might have to go online. It looks like there's plenty on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cassette-Players-Recorders/b?ie=UTF8&node=172628

I thought I'd gone through a time-warp after looking at that page! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 11:38 pm

A new video for the track "Shine On" was released last week:

Also,

The Japanese bonus track is a cover of Iron Maiden's "Sanctuary":

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 pm

Not a bad cover but I prefer the Thin Lizzy cover.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 am

Sounds good. Fortunately for me it's not an essential tune to have so I don't have to track down the Japanese edition.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 8:08 am

Cool, I'll use the "youtube to mp3" online converter for the Maiden tune. Nice to see lots of thrash covers of Maiden songs lately. The EP Kreator released in anticipation of their new album had a good cover of Number of the Beast.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Probably my favorite Overkill album yet! And that's saying a lot. I can't stop playing this one.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Wow, favorite? It's good but.....
Good to see you here 7th.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 10:28 pm

It is very very good but i personally would not consider it as a favorite. I'd go for ironbound, if we're talking about the recent overkill releases.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Scott got it in the mail as a birthday gift. He shows it off in his new YouTube video:
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 1:09 am

Got mine at Best Buy just like many here. My BB has a small music section but this time around I found plenty there including this one. Hope to listen to it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 9:41 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Got mine at Best Buy just like many here. My BB has a small music section but this time around I found plenty there including this one. Hope to listen to it tomorrow.

If you like Overkill's more recent albums, you'll like this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

It's a good listen.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 11:05 pm

I went to visit my dad today but forgot to bring this to listen to. To and from the grocery store I listened to half of it. So far The Long Road is my favorite track, but the other songs are no slouchers.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Fantastic album! Along with Testament, Flotsam, and Kreator, thrash is on quite a roll.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 am

I recco the new Sepultura if you haven't heard it yet.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fantastic album! Along with Testament, Flotsam, and Kreator, thrash is on quite a roll.

I would add the latest destruction and sodom albums headbanger
Back to top Go down
LeatherRebel
Metal novice
Metal novice
LeatherRebel

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 5:47 am

The Grinding Wheel is excellent. I wish Blitz would use his "power metal" style vocals (mainly used on Feel the Fire and Taking Over) more often though. He's really good at it when he wants to be.

As for other thrash bands that have been on a roll, I'd add Death Angel to the list as well. Everything since The Art of Dying has been stellar IMO.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 6:17 am

DallasBlack wrote:

Gilbert wrote:

I would add the latest destruction

LeatherRebel wrote:
The Grinding Wheel is excellent.

As for other thrash bands that have been on a roll, I'd add Death Angel to the list as well. Everything since The Art of Dying has been stellar IMO.

Agree on all accounts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)   Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overkill - "GRINDING WHEEL" (Feb. 2017)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4