Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Victim: US speed metal

Go down 
+4
Glower
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Gilbert
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Victim: US speed metal Empty
PostSubject: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Any fans of this old US speed metal band from the 80s?

I picked up their album "by the neck" this afternoon and it is awesome.

Opinions? Recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm a fan. I have their debut album Power Hungry and By The Neck. Three of the tracks from By The Neck are re-recordings from the debut. I've never heard their second album DMN but one of the cuts from By The Neck - "Hot-N-Frigid" - is a re-recording from DMN.

I think they are a solid metal band and if you like By The Neck you'll also like Power Hungry. DMN and Power Hungry are available as CDs from Amazon, but they are CDR versions. There haven't been any official silver CDs of either album, but the band offers both as downloads on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 pm

The band is still active?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 pm

What little I've heard from them sounds pretty cool. I've had my eye on their "By The Neck" CD that Stormspell released for awhile, but every time I look for it in his CDBaby store it's out of stock angry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 pm

I sent this video to someone on Facebook, because of some tragic event ...
It's self defense oriented song , for sure - lol
Love the cheap sounding siren set up, classic touch.
You think of Kiss's siren, Aerosmith's siren....
The singer is so direct, like Howlin Wolf, with the finger pointing !
And of course, the gun finger point to the head...end of song.
Lyrics, very street tough.
I might have to find the Cd !
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Gilbert wrote:
The band is still active?

They are not.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
HeavyThrashhead
Metal student
Metal student
HeavyThrashhead

Number of posts : 214

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 5:23 pm

By the Neck is a KILLER! album. one of the best unreleased metal albums of all time! and my favorite from 'em! IMO.

the two other albums are good as well. a solid band.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm

By The Neck is killer!!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 5:12 am

Got my copy from amazon uk for a very good price.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 5:14 am

Just checked. It is no longer available. Guess i was lucky!
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 3:53 am

Both Power Hungry and DMN are EPs. We mulled a but to re-release them, but master tapes for DMN are lost, and given that 3 songs already were re-released on By The Neck, I sort of dropped the ball on it.

3/4 of the band has gotten together at the time we released By the Neck, but I don't think there were any serious plans to resurrect the band.

Victim: US speed metal Victim10
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 am

Gilbert wrote:
Just checked. It is no longer available. Guess i was lucky!

It is still available on CDBaby (link in my signature)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
What little I've heard from them sounds pretty cool. I've had my eye on their "By The Neck" CD that Stormspell released for awhile, but every time I look for it in his CDBaby store it's out of stock angry

After months of "out of stock, out of stock, out of stock" on this one, I finally have a copy of By The Neck coming to me from CDBaby. Woot! :cheese:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

After months of "out of stock, out of stock, out of stock" on this one, I finally have a copy of By The Neck coming to me from CDBaby. Woot! :cheese:

Last copies wer selling for over 30 pounds on amazon uk.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Got my copy of By The Neck from CDBaby yesterday. Spun it a few times already and me definitely likee. Straight up, no frills, '80s U.S. Metal. Total flashback.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Here's what I wrote about By The Neck on RateYourMusic:

By The Neck is another one of those legendary "lost" albums that metal nerds (like me) salivate over. Victim was a San Diego, CA. based heavy metal band who put out a couple of indie releases in the early '80s and then disappeared off the face of the Earth. 1984's By the Neck was supposed to be their third LP, but the band broke up before it could be released.  

Stormspell Records rescued the forgotten album from obscurity in 2014, and it was definitely worth the wait! This is a damn fine slab of early '80s American metal  - take the crunchy bits of 1984- era Judas Priest, Accept, or Malice, mix it with a hint of Sunset Strip sleaze ala Shout-era Crue or early W.A.S.P. and you're in the ballpark. If you're into any of the bands I just mentioned, then you will dig this album and should hunt it down immediately, if not sooner. By The Neck ended my 2016 CD buying binge on a high note. Nuff said!

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 1:17 pm

I played the album again today. Excellent release. Glad to have picked it up!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Stormy needs to ship some more (along with a few other titles). I'm on Cd Baby's waiting list now.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:31 am

I just got back from my European trip and will see to restocks asap. Apologies for the long wait!
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 am

Gilbert wrote:

30 quids? WTF! You can pick it up from CDBaby with $5 SALE option... pffft

I'm gonna start printing sale adverts directly into booklets, so people would know where to go find it for cheap. I understand it is open economy and everyone is entitled to buy and re-sell, but scalping at 30 pounds ($37) is beyond crazy!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:20 pm

stormspell wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

30 quids? WTF! You can pick it up from CDBaby with $5 SALE option... pffft

I'm gonna start printing sale adverts directly into booklets, so people would know where to go find it for cheap. I understand it is open economy and everyone is entitled to buy and re-sell, but scalping at 30 pounds ($37) is beyond crazy!

That is true.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 pm

stormspell wrote:
I just got back from my European trip and will see to restocks asap. Apologies for the long wait!

Hey Stormy, did I miss the boat on this one? Seems like Victim, as well as some other Stormspell releases I had on my want-list, at Cd Baby have vanished. Not just out-of-stock, but nowhere on the site.

PostSubject: Re: Victim: US speed metal   Victim: US speed metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Victim: US speed metal
Page 1 of 1