Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?

Go down 
+5
corplhicks
BearOnUnicycle
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
80s Metal Lady
9 posters

Gods of Second Chance
Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_lcap30%Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Losers in the Game
Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_lcap10%Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Hypnotized
Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_lcap0%Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No Friend of Mine
Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_lcap0%Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Waiting for a Savior
Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_lcap30%Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Conductor
 0% [ 0 ]
Little Boy
 30% [ 3 ]
Down to the River
 0% [ 0 ]
End of the Age
 0% [ 0 ]
Lovers and Madmen
 0% [ 0 ]
A Subtle War
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Empty
PostSubject: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 11:39 am

Hanging in the Balance was released on October 7, 1993. It had....curious cover art. It would be six years until Metal Church released another studio album. Fed up with the business side of the profession, Mike Howe would leave the music industry and not return for over 20 years. Kind of a bittersweet album when put in that perspective.

Still, it is quite solid. I didn't buy it when it came out. I hadn't even heard of it until not long ago when looking up Metal Church's discography. I was into alternative/shoe gaze music in 1993. Two tracks really stand out: "Gods of Second Chance" and "Waiting for a Savior." That latter song is one of my all-time MC favorites and gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 12:50 pm

A decent album that's unfortunately hampered by its half-ass production, and of course that godawful album cover (shudder)...

My pick is "Waiting For a Savior," tho honestly I would have to give this a spin to refresh my memory of the rest, cuz I haven't listened to it in a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 3:01 pm

"Gods of A Second Chance" still gives me chills!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm

This is my favorite MC album. Waiting for a Savior gets the vote.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 5:22 pm

This is gonna sound off-the-wall, but this happens to be my favorite Howe record. I know, weird, right?

What amazes me about this album is that, what with the poor mix, terrible art, and ridiculous label demands, they actually won in putting out some of their finest work. The dynamics and melodic range of these songs are amazing, and oddly seem even more focused than the previous two Howe albums. It was my favorite when I bought it on cassette as a kid, and it's still my favorite (I now have a Greek bootleg) today.

Anyway, my favorite track is actually not listed here, which is understandable since it was a Japanese bonus cut, "Low to Overdrive." Video is posted below. Picking from this list, though, I'd have to go with the epic, sprawling Little Boy. That thing just maneuvers from wicked riff to wicked riff with a seriously sinister interlude, and Mike's snarl is supreme. [god, that's four words in one sentence that start with an 's.' I should be writing for Buzzfeed]

This is also where Kurdt got REAL proggy with Little Boy and End of the Age.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 6:58 pm

"Gods Of Second Chance"
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 7:19 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Anyway, my favorite track is actually not listed here, which is understandable since it was a Japanese bonus cut, "Low to Overdrive."

That's a really good song. Sounds very familiar. I must have heard it somewhere (maybe this same video).

Last edited by 80s Metal Lady on Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 8:00 pm

That is a great track. I have the Japanese Import version, too.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 2:40 am

Little Boy
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 4:35 am

Still missing from my collection. Hope it gets properly reissued one day.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 7:00 am

This is an awesome album. I love the whole thing but I'm going with Little Boy.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 8:22 am

007 wrote:
This is an awesome album. I love the whole thing but I'm going with Little Boy.

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance?   Which Track Do You Hang With On Metal Church's Hanging In The Balance? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1