Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Church - Hanging in the balance

Go down 
+13
7thSaviour
ultmetal
allthingsmetal
Metallic Blaze
ZetaReticuli
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Defender71
AchrisK
Temple of Blood
troublemagnet
fingers
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Empty
PostSubject: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Recently listened to this one and I think it's their worst. It sort of sounds abit like Chris Poland's Damn the Machine but in a bad way sure the musicianship isn't weak but the style of music doesn't suit the band as well.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 pm

I think it's a fantastic album,probably the most consistant of the Mike Howe era. I like the songwriting, the production,everything about it except the cover!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't like it at all either. It's like weak hard rock IIRC.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I have not been able to get into any Metal Church after The Dark.
Back to top Go down
Defender71
Metal novice
Metal novice
Defender71

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 pm

i did not buy it at first because of its atrocious album cover. But in my opinion it is a very good album
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 pm

...but is it a good album for someone who is a fan of the first two? In other words, is it a real continuation of the band that put out the first two albums?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

AchrisK wrote:
...but is it a good album for someone who is a fan of the first two? In other words, is it a real continuation of the band that put out the first two albums?

Not at all, but the band (and metal music) was at a completely different place in 1993. I think the band aged well. Personally, I think "The Dark" is pretty bland compared to the band's earlier and later output (on par with "Masterpeace", IMO). It's all opinion. Tomato, tamato.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 pm

I felt MASTERPEACE was their worst, but HANGING is no real great shakes either. It simply sounds like a band that was at the end of its rope and ready to give it up.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Good album, lame cover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Excellent album. Check out, End Of The Age or Gods of A Second Chance. Not sure how you can call it weak, it was a heavy album.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:19 am

What were they thinking when they chose that atrocious cover art?! But I always really enjoyed this album... there are some excellent songs, such as Losers in the Game, End of an Age, Waiting for a Savior... Of course, The Dark is better. Metal Church - Hanging in the balance 604261
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 am

For me the first three Metal Church albums are pure gold.

The first two with Wayne and the first one with Howe.

After that ... well I'm just not much of a fan.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am

I like all Metal Church albums, but HITB was a little less inspired imo.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:25 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's like weak hard rock IIRC.

Who's IIRC?
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 am

This has been a common conversation since this album came out....everyone hate the over and people are split on whethern it is good or not. I love all of Metal Church's albums. I would have to vote this one as their worst (well, maybe their last one too) just because I only like about half of the songs. Bit the other half (losers in the game, no friend of mine, end of an age, down to the river, etc) are awesone metal songs. IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 am

I don't know...I think it had a lot of attitude about it...I liked it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 am

S wrote:
I don't know...I think it had a lot of attitude about it...I liked it.

headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 am

fingers wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
It's like weak hard rock IIRC.

Who's IIRC?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 am

Calling it weak is crazy talk. It's an awesome album.As for the cover,who cares? It's the music that counts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 am

I think covers affect people a lot. I've avoided albums because of covers that I then liked once I heard them.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:59 pm

I like this CD, but don't love it. 8/10
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
What were they thinking when they chose that atrocious cover art?!

According to Ian Christe's book "Sound of the Beast," the band had no say whatsoever in the album cover/design and didn't know how awful the cover was until the CD was printed and copies were in their hands. They weren't happy about it at all, but it was obviously too late for them to do anything about it by that point.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
What were they thinking when they chose that atrocious cover art?!

According to Ian Christe's book "Sound of the Beast," the band had no say whatsoever in the album cover/design and didn't know how awful the cover was until the CD was printed and copies were in their hands. They weren't happy about it at all, but it was obviously too late for them to do anything about it by that point.

Then i guess their record label did it on purpose to get a good laugh. It probably hurt sales to have potential new fans look at the cover and think "what is this crap"?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Then i guess their record label did it on purpose to get a good laugh. It probably hurt sales to have potential new fans look at the cover and think "what is this crap"?

That record was pretty much doomed from the git-go. The band really weren't into it anymore, the only label that would give it the time of day was Joan Jett's label (Blackheart Records), which had crappy-at-best distribution at the time, and then they went and slapped that monstrosity on the cover. Ugh.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 pm

I've always liked HitB, if for nothing else, it is Pul O'Neill doin' something other than Savatage. He sort of makes MC sound a little like savatage though. Especially in the opening track.

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church - Hanging in the balance   Metal Church - Hanging in the balance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Church - Hanging in the balance
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next