Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+27
Gilbert
akeldama
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Leatherface
metalinmyveins
Citanul
Thelemech
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Wurthless
James B.
Troublezone
Shawn Of Fire
BearOnUnicycle
MoonChild
brokentulsa
80s Metal Lady
Required Fields
journeyman
chewie
Witchfinder
the sentinel
Thrasher73
DakotaRogers
corplhicks
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Caught Somewhere in Time
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap6%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Wasted Years
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap46%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 46% [ 22 ]
Sea of Madness
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap8%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Heaven Can Wait
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap10%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Stranger in a Strange Land
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap19%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 19% [ 9 ]
Deja Vu
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap6%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Alexander the Great
Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap4%Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Somewhere in Time

Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Iron-Maiden-Somewhere-In-Time

Recorded 1986 at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas and Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Netherlands
Released 29 Sept 1986
Produced by Martin Birch

Tunes

Caught Somewhere in Time
Wasted Years
Sea of Madness
Heaven Can Wait
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Stranger in a Strange Land
Deja Vu
Alexander the Great

My introduction to this band back in the mid-90's and possibly my favorite cover art of all time. I gotta admit going from this to Number of the Beast was a shocker.

I'm interested to see how polarized Maiden fans are over this album. I think it's quite good if not up to the standards of what came before. The synths are palatable and never dominate. The songs are memorable. Dave and Adrian's solos are on FIRE here. There are some weak spots--the mix is downright odd, Bruce sounds a bit tired at this point, the chorus to Heaven Can Wait annoys me, and the band relies on some self-cannibalism in parts. But the pros outweigh the cons. I have to go with Stranger in a Strange Land for that thick riff, chunky lead, and Bruce sounds great in his lower range on the verse.

Really wish we had a pro-shot video of Somewhere on Tour. I'd love to hear from anyone here that caught one of those shows.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Sea of Madness!

Also, this is my favorite Maiden album. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:02 pm

This was my first Maiden album as well. I was in high school when I got it. Love the cover art. I started to vote Alexander the Great but went with Wasted Years in the end. No matter how many times I hear it it's still great!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Great album. I voted for the "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" as I just always loved that tune. There are so many worthy choices here, though.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:21 pm

"Wasted Years" for me, "Stranger In A Strange Land" running a very close second. For me it's their last great album.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Soooo many great tunes...... and the guitar synths don't detract from the tunes.

Stranger In A Strange Land
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Wasted Years. the riff sticks in your head. The whole album is great. Also like The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Stranger In A Strange Land and Caught Somewhere In Time. The B side Reach Out off of Wasted Years really surprised me.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

It changes with the day, but for now, I'll vote "Sea of Madness".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 10:18 pm

This was the first Iron Maiden album I purchased new (on cassette). I'll always have a soft spot for it. "Wasted Years" was played a lot on MTV and got me into the band. It's still awesome and an easy pick for my favorite. One of my favorite Maiden songs of all time.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 1:59 am

Stranger in a Strange Land!!!!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 3:41 am

Wasted Years by a hair over Stranger in a Strange Land. I also like Caught Somewhere in Time, Deja Vu, and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, An awesome album.

Last edited by MoonChild on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 5:46 am

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. My favorite Maiden album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:21 am

Deja Vu

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:42 am

My favorite Maiden album!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:45 am

Dig the album....last one I ever bought by them

"Deja Vu" for me

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 9:56 am

Wasted Years. The whole album is rock solid. I caught them on tour for this album with Yngwie Malmsteen opening. Great show ! One stand out memory was the laser gun battle between Bruce and an 8 ft tall (or so) Eddie.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 am

007 wrote:
Wasted Years. The whole album is rock solid. I caught them on tour for this album with Yngwie Malmsteen opening. Great show ! One stand out memory was the laser gun battle between Bruce and an 8 ft tall (or so) Eddie.

And it's things like this why I scratch my head as to why a proper live document has not seen the light of day. That just sounds amazing.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 4:29 pm

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner for me, with Alexander the Great & Caught Somewhere in Time following close behind.

Love this album. It's tied for my favorite Maiden release with Seventh Son.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Stranger in a straaaaaaaaaaaaaaange laaaaaaaaaaaaand! Land of iiiiiiiiiiiiiiice and snoooooooooooowwww!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Wasted Years gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stranger in a straaaaaaaaaaaaaaange laaaaaaaaaaaaand! Land of iiiiiiiiiiiiiiice and snoooooooooooowwww!

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm

The epitome of the Iron Maiden discography and from this absolute classic I chose Sea Of Madness.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 5:11 am

It's a close call between Stranger in a Strange Land and Wasted Years, but the latter gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 10:10 am

I would love to pick something besides "Wasted Years", but I can't, it's still that kick ass of a tune. Great album! "Stranger In a Strange Land" would be my second favorite.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18911

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2016 12:46 pm

Wasted Years
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: