Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+16
Boris2008
Gilbert
the sentinel
Wurthless
Leatherface
MoonChild
Red Kitty
Lari
Thrasher73
80s Metal Lady
DakotaRogers
Witchfinder
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Aces High
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap14%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
2 Minutes to Midnight
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap21%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 21% [ 6 ]
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Flash of the Blade
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap3%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
The Duellists
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap3%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Back in the Village
 3% [ 1 ]
Powerslave
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap17%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap38%Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 38% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Powerslave

Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden R-387782-1279333238.jpeg

Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas, Feb-Jun 1984
Released 3 Sep 1984
Produced by Martin Birch

Tunes

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Flash of the Blade
The Duellists
Back in the Village
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner

My absolute FAVORITE Maiden album and one of the most inspiring records in my musical history. There's not a weak spot here--not even the widely panned Back in the Village--and choosing a favorite is just killing me. I think I'm gonna have to go with Rime. It's a stunner collection of movements that are equally sinister and intriguing.

And I always find myself humming Losfer at the most random times. dodododododoDO DO DO...
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:54 pm

Now we're talking! Tied with Seventh Son for my favorite Maiden album. I love every song (even Back in the Village) but the title track just owns everything.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 pm

"Two Minutes To Midnight"

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:56 pm

"Rime Of The Ancient Mariner"
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:56 pm

James B. wrote:
"Two Minutes To Midnight"

Funny thing about that song; I know it rips off a dozen other riffs prior, but no matter what it feels fresh, intense, and original. I'd even say the best of the bunch.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Can't be a contrarian in this situation. Voting "Powerslave" no matter how popular it is.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 2:01 am

This is a tough one. Considering "Aces High," "2 Minutes To Midnight," and "Powerslave." Think I'll sleep on it. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 3:34 am

Such a great album. Any of these songs I could pick. Powerslave, Flash of the Blade, 2 minutes. In the end I voted Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Just epic!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 5:54 am

Obviously the first two and the last two tracks on the album are Maiden classics. But I love that trio of songs in the middle: Flash of the Blade, the Duellists, Back in the Village. It really puts the album over the top, and makes it their best.

I voted Back in the Village, though it could have been Aces High just as well.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:01 am

The only track I don't like is Losfer Words.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 am

Rime!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:07 am

Every track on this is fantastic. This is a true metal classic in every sense of the word. Very hard to pick out favorite but I guess I'll go with Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, a 13 minute track that just flows along seamlessly.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:15 am

So tempted to vote for Aces High.........

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it is!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 11:00 am

Aces High
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am

The Duellists, just because of the twin lead break in the middle section of the song. Oh my god that slays me.

But the whole album is perfect.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

Every song is worthy of a pick here, but "Rime" gets the vote b/c it's the first real epic Metal song I ever heard. It set Maiden apart as different from everyone else I was listening to at the time.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Lari wrote:

I voted Back in the Village, though it could have been Aces High just as well.

Great song! It was the first song I heard off Powerslave because I bought the used cassette from a classmate and it was rewound to the second side. As soon as I heard that opening riff, I was hooked!

Decided to go with "Powerslave." Such an awesome track and one I actually appreciate even more now than back in the day.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Wurthless wrote:
The Duellists, just because of the twin lead break in the middle section of the song. Oh my god that slays me.

But the whole album is perfect.

Yes, that has to be one of the top twin lead breaks of any Maiden number.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Tough call. I love every single track. But went for aces high.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Okay here goes!

I haven't really listened to this album in decades so I've had a couple of recent spins and it's an album of big positives and big negatives

The guitar solos are mind blowing throughout, I think Murray & Smith never sounded better than on this record.

It's the first Iron Maiden album where Bruce's voice starts to bother me.

I still can't listen to Aces High & Two Minutes to Midnight thanks to a relative that made me so completely and utterly sick of them that I really can't bare them 3 decades later. This is not the albums fault.

The songs for the most part are mediocre (there I said it! Razz ) Losfer Words is the most boring instrumental I have heard from Maiden Back in the Village & The Duellists are also dull, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a fairly standard song interspersed with pointless diversions to justify the fact that it's three weeks long!

This leaves Flash of the Blade and Powerslave as the only songs that I genuinely like, out of which Powerslave is the clear winner because it's a great song.

Don't hurt me! affraid
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Okay here goes!

I haven't really listened to this album in decades so I've had a couple of recent spins and it's an album of big positives and big negatives

The guitar solos are mind blowing throughout, I think Murray & Smith never sounded better than on this record.

It's the first Iron Maiden album where Bruce's voice starts to bother me.

I still can't listen to Aces High & Two Minutes to Midnight thanks to a relative that made me so completely and utterly sick of them that I really can't bare them 3 decades later. This is not the albums fault.

The songs for the most part are mediocre (there I said it! Razz ) Losfer Words is the most boring instrumental I have heard from Maiden Back in the Village & The Duellists are also dull, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a fairly standard song interspersed with pointless diversions to justify the fact that it's three weeks long!

This leaves Flash of the Blade and Powerslave as the only songs that I genuinely like, out of which Powerslave is the clear winner because it's a great song.

Don't hurt me! affraid

You actually have good points, believe it or not.

I had a good, long gap in my 20's where heavy metal just didn't exist anymore. When I revisited Powerslave, and album that fueled my youth, I thought a lot of what you're saying, especially with Rime. HOWEVER. I believe it's the power of what this album did to me in my youth that allows me to place this album above criticism. These things actually don't affect my ears, and it's still a beauty to behold. Kinda weird.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 6:45 pm

I just played it today. For me, it holds up better than any of the albums before it.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm

Voted for Powerslave, but Aces High is also a favorite tune for me too. And Rime... is my favorite epic of theirs!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 pm

I went with 2 Minutes To Midnight. But I could have easily chosen any track from this album.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 pm

2 min
Great album. Every song is great. Listening to this album is the soundtrack to my youth. I can't really separate the songs and the memories. Bought this the day of release and literally spent hours staring at the cover and listening over and over. Always thought it was super cool that the cover had a texture to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next