Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+15
metalinmyveins
Grimmo
journeyman
Wurthless
MetalGuy71
MoonChild
Lari
the sentinel
Gilbert
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
80s Metal Lady
chewie
corplhicks
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Futureal
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap33%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 33% [ 7 ]
The Angel and the Gambler
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Lightning Strikes Twice
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap10%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
The Clansman
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap43%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 43% [ 9 ]
When Two Worlds Collide
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
The Educated Fool
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap4%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Como Estais Amigos
Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Virtual XI

Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden 81VxO9sHLfL._SL1300_

Recorded @ Barnyard Studios, Essex, England, 1997 – February 1998

Released 23 March 1998

Spun this twice for the first time in my life. Okay, THIS is more like it. Blaze still sounds crappy as hell (sorry, defenders of Blaze, I just don't understand where you're coming from), but the songs have way more staying power and the mix is slightly more even than the disaster before it. The songs are far more energetic and cohesive as well, and FOR ONCE we don't have to suffer through the fuckery of the dreaded i-VI-III-VII movement (more on that later). It's almost like they were finding their footing with Blaze on this album--I sometimes wonder what might have been had they done another record with him. My favorite would have to be Lightning Strikes Twice, a catchy monster of a rocker. The closer, Como Estais Amigos, is equally strong. There are weak tracks--Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is almost terrible. I don't know why these boys think we benefit from hearing the song title over and over throughout the song. The Educated Fool tends to get goofy as well.

Looking forward to the next phase--REUNION. I've not heard nearly enough of those albums so I plan on putting a good amount of listening before diving into the subsequent polls.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:01 pm

OOooooo. It's either The Clansman or Futureal for me. I'll be back.........

**EDIT**
I voted for Futureal.

Last edited by chewie on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I finally made a decision!)
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 12:05 am

For the first time, I was going to refrain from voting in an album poll because, when I listened to this album on Spotify a few weeks ago, I found nothing worth voting for and "The Angel and the Gambler" I couldn't even get through. So bad, and almost 10 freakin' minutes! Reading your comments, maybe I should give it one more chance.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:41 am

I prefer Bruce's live take on "Clansman" from "Rock In Rio" so from this album proper I'd say "Futureal"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 8:32 am

None. Terrible album and god awful album cover. The nadir of their career.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 am

I heard this thing once and didn't like it at all. I pretend it and the X Factor don't exist in my Iron Maiden discography. At least from here there's nowhere to go but up.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:41 am

I kind of dig this album. Went with educated fool.
Futureal is also a very good track.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 am

Man, Shay, this one's a toughie. Not an exciting album at all. The two that I remember liking were "Angel and the Gambler" and "The Clansman" so I voted for the former. The mid to late 90's were a tough time for me musically. Two stinkers each with replacement vocalists from Maiden and Priest, disappointments in Load and Re-Load, and no interest in VH3. It's no wonder I got so focused on FW and DT. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 am

When it comes to the two Blaze albums I actually like this one a lil' better than X Factor - but in the long run, that's still kinda like saying you prefer having your hair set on fire over having your nuts slammed in a car door. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:13 am

The Clansman. When Two Worlds Collide and Lightning Strikes Twice are also cool tracks.

It's a decent enough album, but loses out to probably all other Maiden discs except for No Prayer for the Dying.

Blaze's voice fit a lot better on the X-Factor.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:28 am

I can't choose....... not because I like all songs, but because I don't like any.

I choose The Clansman - thanks to Bruce and Rock in Rio.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am

'The Clansman' by default. I saw Maiden perform it live with Bruce, so it's the only song I really know from that album.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

Witchfinder wrote:
None.  Terrible album and god awful album cover.  The nadir of their career.

That was my first impression, but I'll give it one more chance. Just ONE Laughing
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

OK, I almost voted for "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" because it is catchy. It's so long and repetitive, though! If it was cut in half, it would be great. I notice that a lot with later Maiden songs. Such a shame cool songs are dragged out so. I voted for "Futureal." It's catchy and quick.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:20 pm

This one I've never been able to sit through all the way. I love Futureal and the Clansman, and not because of the live versions with Bruce, but because they're good songs. Everything else though just either drags on, or gets on my nerves.

It's strange that you say it's better than The X Factor because I really love that album, while this album is exactly like getting your hair set on fire, like FF said.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Oh, and the album cover's cool. Too cool for such a shit album.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't like the cover. Never did. I'll take Derek Riggs ahead of holograms any day.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

The Clansman. Not as dark as The X Factor. I didn't hear or know about this album until maybe five years ago. I was rather detached in the 90-20's. I read about this album being pretty much universally panned, so I went in with low expectations. I was surprised. Not Bruce, and yet, it isn't the black hole of creativity either. My biggest irk is the keyboards.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 12:12 am

My vote is for Lightning Strikes Twice.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Gawd, what an abysmal album! Blaze is just such a dull vocalist that it reminded me of one of the late great Sam Kinison's lines:

:Hey, you can be a land developer.

:Who me? I'm just a fry cook.

:It doesn't matter

The same analogy could be made for this very dark period of Iron Maiden. Seriously, you couldn't find anyone else better suited after Bruce left?

Without a doubt, The Clansman takes it, but that's because I remember Bruce actually giving this song some life when he came back. Thank God there isn't another Blaze album in the arsenal that I have to listen to.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 6:19 pm

The dude that sang on Cloven Hoof's A Sultan's Ransom (Russ North) was a contender for the vocalist spot, but was beaten out by Blaze. Apparently, IIRC, they picked Blaze because he was a friend of the band and played soccer with them frequently.

I like some of the material that came from the Blaze era, but I would've loved to had heard what they would've produced with Russ. That Cloven Hoof is a monster album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Wurthless wrote:
The dude that sang on Cloven Hoof's A Sultan's Ransom (Russ North) was a contender for the vocalist spot, but was beaten out by Blaze. Apparently, IIRC, they picked Blaze because he was a friend of the band and played soccer with them frequently.

I like some of the material that came from the Blaze era, but I would've loved to had heard what they would've produced with Russ. That Cloven Hoof is a monster album.

I never knew that. I always told myself they chose him the way Metallica chooses a bass player. They choose him, pay him, and tell him what to play.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm shockingly surprised so many rank this BELOW X Factor. This is a much more cohesive album, far less derivative, better production, and Blaze actually nails his delivery here compared to his sloppiness before.

I mean, c'mon guys. No matter how much "atmosphere" Blaze brought to the band, his work on X Factor was a thing of all things ugly. He was pitchy as hell, couldn't stick to melody, had terrible sustain (a result of poor breathing technique), and had a minimal register. I mean, I like singers who aren't very "good," like Jagger and Springsteen, but Maiden's music is oil to Blaze's sludgy water. At least he firmed up a little here and on his future solo work.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 12:59 pm

These two albums are like somebody on a food truck saying, "would you prefer the poop or puke sandwich ?".

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 1:38 pm

"Don'cha think I'm a savior?
Don'cha think I can save ya? Don'cha think I can save your life?

Don'cha think I'm a savior?

Don'cha think I can save ya? Don'cha think I can save your life?"
(repeat 1000 times)

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden 82702

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "Virtual XI" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next