Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+24
chewie
nevermore
MetallicSeminarian
thejokeriv
mikeinfla
Glower
Grimmo
James B.
Thelemech
Boris2008
scottmitchell74
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
journeyman
Wurthless
iamrockerfun
Lari
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
Witchfinder
MoonChild
the sentinel
80s Metal Lady
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Pick your favorite tune from "Iron Maiden"
Prowler
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 4 ]
Remember Tomorrow
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 21% [ 8 ]
Running Free
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 26% [ 10 ]
Phantom Of The Opera
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 9 ]
Transylvania
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Strange World
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Sanctuary
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Charlotte The Harlot
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Iron Maiden
Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Lari wrote:
Yeah, Running Free is kind of dumb. It's a fun rebellious heavy metal track, but in a way beneath Iron Maiden in its simplicity.

Still not a clunker. I think Transylvania is a clunker.

Transylvania is one of the first pieces of music that comes to my mind when I think of Maiden. Those twin guitars! headbanger
It's strange to see that opinion from my perspective.

I can remember being in the sixth grade walking down the halls with headphones in jamming to Running Free, and yeah it's dumb, but it's catchy fun dumb.

Sanctuary is the closest thing to being a clunker I feel; I think it's style sticks out like a sore thumb cos it's obviously a cover of a song that's not very heavy. And it doesn't translate over as well as something like Priest's Diamonds and Rust or Better By You. It's got a very "pub rock-gone-metal" sound to it, if that makes any sense.

"Sanctuary" is a cover? I really like that song, actually. I'm surprised it's being labeled a clunker. I like "Transylvania," too. It's one of my favorite metal instrumentals. The bass and drum just fly. I don't consider any song on this album a clunker. "Running Free" is catchy, it's just a little weak. That part in the middle after the guitar solo; it sounds like a little bass riff. It's so stale and brings the energy of the song down. "Iron Maiden" is a bit weak, too. It's repetitive lyrically and, as I mentioned before, I don't like the feminine way the chorus sounds. It's still catchy, though.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
Lari wrote:
Yeah, Running Free is kind of dumb. It's a fun rebellious heavy metal track, but in a way beneath Iron Maiden in its simplicity.

Still not a clunker. I think Transylvania is a clunker.

Transylvania is one of the first pieces of music that comes to my mind when I think of Maiden. Those twin guitars! headbanger
It's strange to see that opinion from my perspective.

I can remember being in the sixth grade walking down the halls with headphones in jamming to Running Free, and yeah it's dumb, but it's catchy fun dumb.

Sanctuary is the closest thing to being a clunker I feel; I think it's style sticks out like a sore thumb cos it's obviously a cover of a song that's not very heavy. And it doesn't translate over as well as something like Priest's Diamonds and Rust or Better By You. It's got a very "pub rock-gone-metal" sound to it, if that makes any sense.

"Sanctuary" is a cover? I really like that song, actually. I'm surprised it's being labeled a clunker. I like "Transylvania," too. It's one of my favorite metal instrumentals. The bass and drum just fly. I don't consider any song on this album a clunker. "Running Free" is catchy, it's just a little weak. That part in the middle after the guitar solo; it sounds like a little bass riff. It's so stale and brings the energy of the song down. "Iron Maiden" is a bit weak, too. It's repetitive lyrically and, as I mentioned before, I don't like the feminine way the chorus sounds. It's still catchy, though.

man i was thinking of women in uniform the whole time hahaha. my bad.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 11:15 pm

I didn't even count Sanctuary as it's never been on any copy of the album that I've owned.

Transylvania is brilliant!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 11:30 pm

"Charlotte the Harlot"

We had a girl named Charlotte who hung out in the smokers circle in school. (yes you could smoke on school grounds. I never smoked cigarettes, but would burn a big fat bomber at the drop of a hat) She was killer at Frisbee and her nickname was "Scooby"...the tune went "Scooby-doobie do me" if you catch my drift.

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 1:38 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I didn't even count Sanctuary as it's never been on any copy of the album that I've owned.

Sanctuary was added for the North American release of the album, in Europe it was on a single.

I actually had a UK import on vinyl so my copy never had it either.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 am

Boris2008 wrote:

Perhaps the best instrumentals, ever.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 am

Remember Tomorrow is my choice.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 4:13 am

Sanctuary is a cool track. Raw NWOBHM style.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 am

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am

Hard to do, but I picked "Strange World". It used to be one that I skipped over for about 30 years... Then a couple of years ago I listened to it and thought it was a great song. Don't know why I skipped it, probably because it was slow but it is a fantastic song. Hard to pick on this album, all of them are classics.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 am

Phantom, no question. Great album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 am

MoonChild wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

It's a good heavy metal instrumental. That's about as far as I'd be willing to go with that. Smile
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 11:04 am

S.D. wrote:
MoonChild wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

It's a good heavy metal instrumental.  That's about as far as I'd be willing to go with that.  Smile

I take it further to my favourite lol! headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

I went with Remember Tomorrow as I feel it's probably the best. I do find myself singing Running Free the most, though.

I like all the songs to some extent, with Strange World probably being my least favorite but I still wouldn't call it a clunker. Song for song I find this album more consistent than Killers, but I still prefer the Dickinson era.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 am

Remember Tomorrow headbanger

I don't think there's a clunker on this album at all. So many good songs on here!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 11:24 am

I voted for Running Free. Just for the simple reason that the moment I saw it, the chorus started playing in my head!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Phantom of the Opera gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Such an important album for me. Not really sure if this was my first Maiden release. The first three were purchased so close to together and now that I'm old, my feeble memory can no longer remember. A couple of decades later and many Maiden releases since, Transylvania seems to be the one song that is distinctly the standout. I guess because songs like Iron Maiden, Phantom of the Opera, Running Free and Charlotte the Harlot have gone on to have a life beyond just being on the first album. If I was to pick a song as a representative or first listen for the uninitiated, I've go with Phantom of the Opera or Running Free.

I didn't know as much about Maiden as I thought. I just read that the band changed producers and wasn't real happy with the one they settled on and ultimately ended up leaning on the engineer to get the record to sound more of what they wanted. I always thought the album sounded fantastic and never really thought that it had a punk influence like so many have stated.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 2:46 pm

This is gonna sound really odd but I went with Strange World. It's not the first track I'd play for anyone new to exploring Maiden, but there's something rich and special about it that hits me the right way. The chorus on the guitar, the passionate solo, the restraint, Steve's haunting bass, and possibly Paul's best work. Always been one of my favorites. Second place goes to Phantom, that one never gets old.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 3:32 pm

journeyman wrote:
 and never really thought that it had a punk influence like so many have stated.

That's bull, always has been. I think that the journos just looked at Paul with his short hair and attitude and the energy of the band's live shows and came up with that stuff. If anything I think that Iron Maiden has more classic rock and prog influences than what would follow.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Great album and perhaps my favorite Maiden album. I love "Prowler", "Remember Tomorrow", "Running Free", "Phantom of the Opera" and "Iron Maiden", but by the slimmest of margins, I will take "Prowler" over "Phantom".
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 7:23 pm

I voted for Phantom of the Opera.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am

I'm really disappointed in you guys if Running Free ends up winning this poll Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden   Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best tune on "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2