Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best 80's POP artist[s]

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Red Kitty
MetalGuy71
mikeinfla
Boris2008
metalinmyveins
scottmitchell74
Thelemech
Thrasher73
Citanul
80s Metal Lady
chewie
Lari
tohostudios
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who did it BEST?
Prince
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 5 ]
Madonna
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Duran Duran
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
Bruce Springsteen
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
U2
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 26% [ 6 ]
Billy Joel
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
ZZ Top
 4% [ 1 ]
Michael Jackson
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Queen
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hall and Oates
Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 2:04 am

How can anyone listen to this song and not know who the best is.

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

I really like U2 from that list so I chose them. I love their 80's material the most.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 7:21 am

Prince is easily my favorite from that era, but I voted Michael Jackson, because I believe peak-era Michael Jackson was just incredible.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 am

At first glance, I could eliminate Bruce Springsteen, as I'm only a casual fan at best, along with Billy Joel, who I preferred the previous decade, as well as ZZ Top, whose music from the 80's has not stood up well for me after all of these years. Once again, I much prefer their music from the previous decade. Queen is probably the best example of a band, who didn't do it for me either in the 80's, though there are a few standout songs. That leaves: Prince, Madonna, Duran Duran, U2, Michael Jackson & Hall & Oates.

I've only recently really started getting into U2's first three albums (Boy, October & War) and they are fantastic. Having said that, they would have to be eliminated due to the fact that I haven't been listening to those albums for years on end. I just listened to Duran Duran's self titled album for the first time a few months ago and it was great as well. The problem with Duran Duran is, they were going their separate ways in 1985, so they only produced a half a decade of music.

That leaves Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Hall & Oates. The last four all have the distinction of me really liking them for their HITS. I didn't care as much for the direction that Prince took after the Purple Rain album and preferred his time with the Revolution, so he would probably be the next off the list. Honestly, one could flip a coin with the next three artists, but if push came to shove, I would probably go with Hall & Oates.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am

Most of those on the list I do not care for but I went with Duran Duran.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 am

Prince by a mile (Queen would have a shout if '70s songs counted and Madonna was pretty good too) I mostly avoided pop in the '80s although I did like 

Depeche Mode
The Pet Shop Boys
Soft Cell
Belinda Carlisle 

and loads of bands that wouldn't count as they were not mega popular
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 am

Huey Lewis and The News! Tons of 80's hits!

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:31 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Prince is easily my favorite from that era, but I voted Michael Jackson, because I believe peak-era Michael Jackson was just incredible.

I went to look at MJ's numbers and it is pretty impressive. In the 1980s he only released two solo albums(Off the Wall was 1979), yet he dominated!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:08 pm

I'll be the lone Billy Joel fan. I've always thought of myself as an Uptown Girl in a downtown man's world.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'll be the lone Billy Joel fan. I've always thought of myself as an Uptown Girl in a downtown man's world.

I alway liked him until I discovered that he actually DID start the fire!!

I could never trust him again after that!   No
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, you may be right, I may be crazy. He's always proclaimed to be an innocent Man. It's just a matter of trust, Boris.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 1:09 pm

I chose Madonna...only because I would expect that she sold the most albums (out of the artists listed).

My personal choice, would be a tie between ZZ Top and Queen
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Went with U2, as their 80's output was their best. Queen had two albums I liked in the 80's (the game and flash Gordon soundtrack.) Duran Durans first two are good. Not a Sprinsteen fan at all and if I never hear a his protest song played as an American anthem on July 4th it will be far too soon. Madonna sucks.Michael Jackson was a one trick Quincy Jones pony (and someone never to leave your kids with.) While talented, not at all a fan of Joel or hall and oats. ZZ Top loses points for the drum machines.

Not a huge Prince fan but he is extremely talented and did it his own way and never gave up control of his career. 1999 and Purple Rain are good albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 4:43 pm

From this list, I went with U2... but my true choice would probably have been Tears For Fears. And since we're talking Pop music, I think George Michael had more than a few good songs.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 9:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Well, you may be right, I may be crazy. He's always proclaimed to be an innocent Man. It's just a matter of trust, Boris.

It was just announced that he's playing here this July 1st, first time in over 20 years. I'd actually like to see that show because after all, It's Still Rock N Roll To Me.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:11 pm

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

MetalGuy71 wrote:

It was just announced that he's playing here this July 1st, first time in over 20 years. I'd actually like to see that show because after all, It's Still Rock N Roll To Me.
I quite like Billy Joel.  But the two-disc Best Of I have is enough.  I would have loved to have seen him when he toured with Elton John.  Those are probably my two favorite "pop" artists.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Huey Lewis and The News! Tons of 80's hits!

Good choice! He would be my runner up to Prince.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 11:21 am

I would nominate Peter Gabriel. I mean, progressive pop is still pop, right? Razz

Based off of So alone, you could put him up there with the more mainstream acts, and there's still a great amount of depth and musical prowess to his music. Maybe I'm biased as solo Gabriel is some of my favorite music ever, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 1:01 pm

I voted for Michael Jackson, but not for Thriller but because of Bad. A much more diverse album than Thriller IMO.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 pm

U2 - MTV - they just exploded - huge - Edge's guitar work - fresh sounding - He must of got best guitarist awards -I never got to see them live....but have heard, over and over, that they leave everyone with quite the impression. I was close to saying Billy Joel....you cant deny all his hits -
But no way - U2 were tougher....like rebels....loving type guys too....Streets have no Name.....soooo haunting. To hear that song, on the radio, in a dark bedroom, at 3am....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 8:05 pm

The Police were also huge in the 80s. Tons of radio and MTV hits.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 5:22 am

Troublezone wrote:

True, probably the big name that was missing from this list though was Whitney Houston who sold records by the truckload in the '80s.

Didn't really care for her though.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 am

Troublezone wrote:

They were huge, but their last record was in 1983 and they were done after that tour the following year.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 am

U2...the only albums I dig by them are from the 1980's.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 6:45 pm

I didn't even know U2 did albums prior to the 80s! I know their debut Boy was at least 1980 or 1981.

All these artists had peak points, so I can't say which I'd prefer. Duran Duran's output after the first two records sucked, so nix them. But for me, I'd say Stock Aitken Waterman! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best 80's POP artist[s]   Best 80's POP artist[s] - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best 80's POP artist[s]
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next