Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?

Go down 
+40
arachnoplasma
jettafiend
TheDoctor'sScarf
Joe
Mglaffas81
shamgar75
holydiver97595
scottmitchell74
Portharbor
Highway Star
DeathCult
jstate
Leatherface
Doomdance
chewie
snooloui
stepcousin
The_Jayroh
MetalGuy71
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
adrian
Troublezone
Addy
bassman
Schbopo
James B.
Fat Freddy
redbroyer
Olafsto
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
tohostudios
kmorg
Wurthless
mc666
exact33
manny
Metallic Blaze
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Empty
PostSubject: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 6:18 am

I mean when you were a SMALL little kid.

What band did you first get into - to the point of wanting to get their stuff?

I'd have to say mine was Petra. I grew up in a very strict, but highly dysfunctional Christian home where the only choice of music we had was Christian. So I went the route of Petra, Stryper, Whitecross etc for many years.

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  200px-Petra_1992-c

Petra is some good stuff though. I'm still a fan to this day ... though I'm convinced it's purely nostalgia. If I heard Petra today for the first time ... I'd probably pass on buying their stuff.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 7:52 am

Elvis Presley when I was 7 but I didn't really want to buy music at that age, just liked his songs.

It was AC/DC when I was 12 years old
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 am

Roy Orbison when i was really young. Motley Crue was my first choice as a teen.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 am

i've been a fan of Glenn Danzig since i was about 6 or 7. i loved the campy Misfits look & sound when i was a kid. followed him ever since.

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 am

The first band I really started to listen to seriously was Black Sabbath, I think I was probably ten or eleven at the time. I then started listening to Maiden and Priest, and from there my tastes have been shaped.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:43 am

Elvis - then KISS

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 am

Rush.

I was fascinated by the Fly By Night album cover.

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 am

To the point of collecting stuff, probably KISS when I was in junior high. The problem was I didn't have cash to collect and my parents thought they were evil so I had to settle for the occasional 45 record (that's the CD single of my day what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  251456 ) and posters from a couple of magazines.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 am

When I was in kingergarten and 1st-2nd grade, it was definitely Dokken. I had all their cassettes (this was around 1989/1990).

My brother, who is two years older, preferred Poison and Def Leppard.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 am

Elvis and Bruce Springsteen
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
redbroyer
Metal novice
Metal novice
redbroyer

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:42 am

new guy.....first post.....

for me it was all about the oldies. The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Mamas and the Papas, etc.

it then morphed into whatever i could see on MTV or hear at my friends.....Bon Jovi, Laura Branigan, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and the News, etc.

once i started actually buying music (1989), my interests exploded. Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Tesla, and on and on and on.....

my first journey into Christian metal came around the same time with bands such as Deliverance, Mortification, Vengeance, Tourniquet, Seventh Angel, Bride, etc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:54 am

My parents had a wide range of music playing around the house when I was a kid. Dad was an Elvis/doo-wop/'50s music fan, Mom was into the Beatles and singer/songwriter types like Jim Croce, Carly Simon, etc. Of course, I was young so it was all background noise to me.

As for me, I knew of KISS as a grade-schooler in the late 70s but never owned any of their albums till years later, they were probably the first band that made me go "Wow, this is totally bad-ass!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:57 am

The Doobie Brothers. First album (What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits) in 1974, first concert (Takin' It To The Streets tour) 1977.

After the Doobies it was Heart, Boston, Queen & KISS. All 1976.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:57 am

Kiss would be the second band I became a fan of thanks to Destroyer.

Queen is up there for me too. I started with Night At The Opera and worked my way backwards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 pm

I had a 45 single of Killer Queen and then the first album I got was "News Of The World".
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

redbroyer wrote:
new guy.....first post.....

for me it was all about the oldies. The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Mamas and the Papas, etc.

it then morphed into whatever i could see on MTV or hear at my friends.....Bon Jovi, Laura Branigan, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and the News, etc.

once i started actually buying music (1989), my interests exploded. Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Tesla, and on and on and on.....

my first journey into Christian metal came around the same time with bands such as Deliverance, Mortification, Vengeance, Tourniquet, Seventh Angel, Bride, etc.

cool! welcome to the board!

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Growing up................in my house Laughing very hard

Let's see ? My folks were into the big band stuff being they came of age in the late 1930's/ early 40's. I remember hearing all the doo-wop and Motown stuff from older siblings and then came the hippie stuff. My oldest sister ran off and followed The Dead around for years. I was like 4 when she split and I didin't see her again till like 1977.

My first record(s) were a gift on my 6th birthday. Thus I became a fan of them, well two of the three at least. I got a Batman story lp. Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen-"Hot Licks...Cold Steel and other trucker favorites" and Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East.

I think the first lps I bought new with my own money cause I iked the bands were "Houses Of The Holy" by Zeppelin and "Bad Co" by Bad Company in 1974.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 pm

I think the first band I got into big time was They Might Be Giants. They were just so quirky and weird that it caught my attention and kept it very effectively.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I, too, raised in a musical but strict Christian home, was not allowed to like Petra as a kid. I would have to say the first band or group I actually liked way back then was the Imperials. I know, not very metal, but you gotta start somewhere. Then I got a couple of Petra tapes for my 13th birthday and I was off to the races with the rock music. A year or two later and I heard Stryper's The Yellow And Black Attack for the first time. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Id say for me it was

Bee Gees
Queen (I loved the Flash Gordon music)
David Bowie (I was a huge fan of his rendering of Peter & The Wolf little did I know who it was)
Olivia Newton John
Chuck Manogie

for me as a kid I didnt collect music. I was too obssessed with Star Wars toys
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 pm

1984 is when I first started noticing music. The first cassette I got was Hall and Oats "Big Bam Boom" album. After that in '85 I got Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party" record. From there, I got into KISS and other late 80's pop-metal like Winger, Ratt, Bullet Boys, Skid Row etc...

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Mine was Mortification, specifically their albums Blood World and the self-titled
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 pm

I grew up in a pretty conservative christian house also but I quickly got tired of like newsboys/DC talk type bands in the mid late 90s and started just tuning everyone out with my cassette AM FM radio near the PC that my dad had just bought and somehow discovered an internet radio channel that just played surf 24 hours. I really dug bands like Dick dale, the astronauts, etc. I would take like christian bible study tapes and record over them with music..haha. I got in deep sh!t for that.

When I was 10 or 11 I discovered Nirvana's In utero album at recess when my friend mykel and I listened to it on walkman..ha. I wasnt ever a huge fan though.

When I turned 13 though I got obsesed with Primus' frizzle fry album, I loved everything les claypool was doing. Oysterheads only album with Les, stewart copeland, and trey anastachio was really awesome also.

Just a year or two after that when I was in highschool I started getting into heavier music, namely 90s hardcore which probably lead me into getting into thrash and other types of metal. My favorate band was Earth Crisis.
Back to top Go down
redbroyer
Metal novice
Metal novice
redbroyer

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 am

after re-reading things, i would say that the first band that i personally was interested in and began buying their music was Zeppelin.

i had some stuff from the Beach Boys (and still do) and other artists, but that was stuff that was bought for me.

the first cassette tape that i personally bought was Led Zeppelin IV. i was blown away by this stuff. i know some take this album forgranted or believe that it's over-hyped, but i had no knowledge of LZ to then (1987 or 8ish). i just knew that i loved the music. everything from Bonzo's hard hitting drums, to the JPJ's keyboards, to Page's mastery of the guitar, to Plant's powerful vocals. i was never a student of music before this album, but quickly became a fan after hearing Black Dog from the very first listen.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 am

bassman wrote:
I, too, raised in a musical but strict Christian home, was not allowed to like Petra as a kid. I would have to say the first band or group I actually liked way back then was the Imperials. I know, not very metal, but you gotta start somewhere. Then I got a couple of Petra tapes for my 13th birthday and I was off to the races with the rock music. A year or two later and I heard Stryper's The Yellow And Black Attack for the first time. Nuff said.

That's funny! That's kinda how it was with me too.

I was only allowed to listen to Petra and softer.

But then I discovered Stryper's "Soldiers Under Command". I was OB FREEKING SESSED with metal from that point on. Then I discovered Bloodgood, Saint and Bride!

Then I bought a Bon Jovi and Britny Fox album (my first secular music) and ma and pa went ballistic! Burned all my music and went on a 'witch hunt' through my room. I had officially became 'satanic' because of this.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next