Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Morrison

Go down 
+2
the sentinel
Wurthless
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 am

I don't see much love for Van the Man here, or much of anywhere really. I was wondering if anybody here digs any of his stuff?
Most people I come across only know Brown Eyed Girl, if they know anything. That's a travesty, cos there's so much more out there to dig into that's worth the time. And his music is super varied too, taking influence from jazz, folk, r&b, chamber music, blues, celtic folk, and a ton more genres I'm probably forgetting to mention.

Astral Weeks, Moondance, Tupelo Honey, Saint Dominic's Preview, It's Too Late to Stop Now (Live), Veedon Fleece, Into the Music, and Common One are all essential in my eyes.

I think there's definitely some people who post here who would dig him.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 am

My Uncle is a big fan and has probably half of his albums (Van has a huge discography!) so I have heard a lot of his work. Most notably, the Tupelo Honey album. I love his voice, but I just don't have the time and resources to give his work the attention it deserves. I dug that "Streets of Arklow" tune you posted. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Moondance is my favorite, I got into that album during my jazz studies because it's an excellent example of a jazz structure being used to power a pop hit. I'm slowly exploring his other albums, I also have Astral Weeks but haven't fully digested it yet.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah Sentinel, his discography is humongous. I think I have somewhere around 25 albums and I don't even have anything post 1994 or so. Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you liked it.

Moondance is one of my favorite albums of his, and it makes a really nice companion piece to Astral Weeks. Astral Weeks is brooding, reflective, and at times a bit dark, while Moondance is on the other side of the spectrum; it's uplifting, soulful, and full of joy.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 am

Them is good too Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 9:50 am

James B. wrote:
Them is good too Very Happy

Them are about all I listen to Van Morrison-wise (I also like the stuff Them did without him). I also have probably a dozen covers of "Gloria" from other no-name, never-made-it garage punk bands from the same era.

I do like the bits and pieces and radio songs and stuff I've heard of Van Morrison through the years, but I don't know that I've ever properly listened to a full album. I like "Into the Mystic" though for sure.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 4:10 pm

I dig Them. I really love their version of Baby Please Don't Go.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 9:03 pm

This is a Simon and Garfunkel cover - it's good
I always thought THEM - was just as good as The Animals -
that tough vocal - gritty - blues/whiskey - smoke vibe -
Better than The Kinks - lol -
I read that Van and Jim Morrison sang 'Gloria' together -
even after the news...I wish that I could be - Richard Cory.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:00 pm

I had a cdr of his greatest hits at one point, but I think I tossed it away when I was making room on my shelves. He's certainly had quite a career.

Van Morrison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Morrison   Van Morrison Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Morrison
Page 1 of 1