Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jim Morrison to get a pardon

Go down 
+4
TheDoctor'sScarf
Addy
Fat Freddy
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jim Morrison to get a pardon Empty
PostSubject: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

About time!!!

Jim Morrison pardoned by Charlie Crist?
By Melissa Bell

It's never too late to make amends to a dead rock star. Forty-one years after Jim Morrison was convicted in Florida of exposing himself during a concert, the outgoing governor Charlie Crist wants to forgive the singer of his crime.

"My heart bleeds for he and his family that this may not have even ever happened, yet it's unfortunately currently part of his record," Crist told the New York Times.

The singer was convicted but was appealing the sentence when he died in Paris in 1971. Crist said he would submit Morrison's name to the state's clemency board, which would have to approve the pardon.

Crist told the Associated Press, "We all have a responsibility where appropriate to seek forgiveness." Why Crist chose the deceased Morrison as an example of redemption is anyone's guess.

The Awl sees it as an attempt by Crist "to form a coalition of grizzled '60s relics and disaffected thirteen-year-old boys."

I'm betting that Charlie Crist read Keith Richards's biography and realized he needed to find a rock star who wouldn't be able to make fun of him for the pardon.

Richards criticized Mike Huckabee's 2006 pardon of the Rolling Stones guitarist. Holly Bailey at Yahoo! News' the Ticket wrote:

"There was nothing to pardon," Richards writes. "There was no crime on the slate in Fordyce, but that didn't matter, I got pardoned anyway." Rather, the guitarist writes, it was Huckabee's "political ambitions" that led to the pardon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Better late than never.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Awesome
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 pm

I think it's good that he wants to rectify that, but I think it'll take away from the badassery.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 pm

It got the outgoing govenor in the paper one last time, so there's that. Otherwise, is this really an issue or of interest to anyone? Probably could put the effort into something a little more worthwhile, like signing off on a few more death penalties, but what do I know?

Good for Jim. He can finally register for a hand gun or something, right?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 am

It is official Jim Morrison has been pardoned by the Governor of my state:

Outgoing Florida Governor Charlie Crist proposed the pardon and said the conviction should have been dismissed after Morrison's death "so that he was again presumed innocent".

"What I do know is that if someone hasn't committed a crime, that should be recognised," he said before the vote. "We live in a civil society that understands that lasting legacy of a human being, and maybe the last act for which they may be known, is something that never occurred in the first place, it's never a bad idea to try to right a wrong.

"A pardon corrects the fact that Mr Morrison is now unable to take advantage of the presumption of innocence that is the cornerstone of the American criminal justice system."

Of course it is 40 years too late and Morrison himself has been gone 39 years, his two sibilings have made no public comment.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 am

Well thank the Lord for that. Now I'll be able to get some sleep.

Geez, there's nothing more pertinent in Florida ?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 am

007 wrote:
Well thank the Lord for that. Now I'll be able to get some sleep.

Geez, there's nothing more pertinent in Florida ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

What does it matter after he's been dead 40 years? I doubt he even cared when he was alive.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 6:11 pm

awesome news
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Funny how it used to be just taken as fact (and music lore) that Morrison did this. Like he was helicoptering around with his stuff out. Thought When You're Strange did a good job of dispelling all this.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison to get a pardon   Jim Morrison to get a pardon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison to get a pardon
Page 1 of 1