Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death

Go down 
+7
stepcousin
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
thejokeriv
bassman
MetalGuy71
manny
11 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Empty
PostSubject: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 am

Personally I think attempting to replace Jim Morrison, a person who was considered a rock icon at the time of his death a complete folly but here is the story:

According to The Pulse Of Radio, Paul Rodgers revealed that following the death of Jim Morrison in 1971, The Doors were seriously considering asking him to replace the "Lizard King" as their new frontman.

Rodgers explained that it's only recently come to his attention that he was shortlisted to become The Doors' second lead singer before Ray Manzarek decided to become the vocalist himself. Rodgers told Uncut magazine, "I discovered quite recently that I was lined up to join The Doors, which blew my mind. Robby Krieger told me that the band were all fans of Free and after Jim Morrison's death; they came to England looking for me. (The) thing is, at that time, I had buried myself in the country, working on things, and they couldn't get a hold of me."

He went on to explain: "My jaw actually dropped like in a cartoon when Robby told me this. Would I have joined them? I dunno. It's hard to say, looking back. But I think not. I tend to form bands, that's what I do. Although it's always flattering to be asked!"

Rodgers told The Pulse Of Radio that throughout his career, his primary musical inspiration has always been linked to the blues: "You used to look around and think, 'God, is there no other way?' — y'know? And then I heard these blues guys singing about jumping on the first train smoking, and heading out of town, you know, and my friends can have my room. And I thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if you could just do that?' And that drew me to playing and singing blues. And it's actually what I did, and I'm still doing."

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:17 am

Interesting. I'm sure the guys in the Doors didn't know what the hell to do immediatly following Jim's death. Too bad Ripper wasn't born yet. Very Happy

Quote :
Would I have joined them? I dunno. It's hard to say, looking back. But I think not. I tend to form bands, that's what I do.

Like when you formed Queen? D'OH! Razz

I dunno, that statement just made me giggle.

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:23 am

Does he have an album coming out soon ?
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 pm

They should hire Glen Danzig, he's been trying to sound like Morrison for years.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Interesting. I'm sure the guys in the Doors didn't know what the hell to do immediatly following Jim's death. Too bad Ripper wasn't born yet. Very Happy

Quote :
Would I have joined them? I dunno. It's hard to say, looking back. But I think not. I tend to form bands, that's what I do.

Like when you formed Queen? D'OH! Razz

I dunno, that statement just made me giggle.

LMAO!!!! Yeah, me too. He'r like the "ripper" owens of the classic rock world
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Very interesting but IMO he wouldn't have fit in well w/the band. Paul Rodgers is a great vocalist and one of my faves but...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

akeldama wrote:
Very interesting but IMO he wouldn't have fit in well w/the band. Paul Rodgers is a great vocalist and one of my faves but...

I am in agreement, but no matter who would have sang for The Doors IMO it would not be accepted, in the public's eyes and in my eyes the band's identity is Jim Morrison.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

manny wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I am in agreement, but no matter who would have sang for The Doors IMO it would not be accepted, in the public's eyes and in my eyes the band's identity is Jim Morrison.

Here, here! Could you imagine how much better 'Ships With Sails' woulda been with Jim doing the vox?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Uh, no. Paul Rodgers has formed/helped form 3 pretty substantial bands in his time...Free, Bad Company & The Firm...Ripper has only joined bands after someone leaves. As for Queen, he didn't "join" Queen...he toured with Queen as "Queen & Paul Rodgers" and they played Queen, Free & Bad Company songs.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Uh, no. Paul Rodgers has formed/helped form 3 pretty substantial bands in his time...Free, Bad Company & The Firm...Ripper has only joined bands after someone leaves. As for Queen, he didn't "join" Queen...he toured with Queen as "Queen & Paul Rodgers" and they played Queen, Free & Bad Company songs.

I know that - but ti sounded funny
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death 40-large-shilelagh-cane-stick

Someone needs this removed from their hind-quaters.

Geez, lighten up people.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Locky wrote:
Does he have an album coming out soon ?

He is working on a new album but not sure when it is due
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm glad he didnt join the Doors. I much prefer Free and Bad Co.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

Morrison can't be replaced. Anything else is just a cover band...

And why is Paul Rodgers in such high demand? He's alright... but nothing great. He was perfect for Bad Company but he wasn't right for QUEEN, and i know he isn't right for the DOORS.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am

I am more of a Free guy than anything else Paul Rodgers did. Although Bad Co. was an integral aspect of the boy meets girl thing in school. Who knows ? At face falue, Rodgers doesn't sound right for The Doors. One should listen to something before making an honest assumption. Since it never happened, we can never know.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

James B. wrote:
I am more of a Free guy than anything else Paul Rodgers did. Although Bad Co. was an integral aspect of the boy meets girl thing in school. Who knows ? At face falue, Rodgers doesn't sound right for The Doors. One should listen to something before making an honest assumption. Since it never happened, we can never know.

I think that even if he had been perfect vocalist to replace Jim Morrison or Freddie Mercury, it still would not be accepted, these two artist became much more then just vocalist/ dead rock stars they became iconic figures in popular culture, and for better or worse, those two bands legacy is tied to that of the memory of their departed vocalist/songwriters.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:

I think that even if he had been perfect vocalist to replace Jim Morrison or Freddie Mercury, it still would not be accepted, these two artist became much more then just vocalist/ dead rock stars they became iconic figures in popular culture, and for better or worse, those two bands legacy is tied to that of the memory of their departed vocalist/songwriters.

I agree. Look at Vivian Campbell... he is a great player but who talks about him in Def Leppard? People only remember what Steve Clark did. Same with Tony Martin or Ian Gillan in Sabbath. (overall Ozzy and Dio were the only ones accepted)

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am

valid points

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:31 pm

It's easy to look back now in 2011 and say that Paul would be all wrong and Jim's legacy could never be replaced. But look at it from a 1971 view point when the remaining Doors were considdering their options for the future, it's a whole different ball game. Jim's not quite "legendary" yet and Paul's still a relatively new kid on the scene with Free.

I'm not saying he was the right choice either, but it all about perspective. Back in 1980, if someone told you AC/DC were replacing the recently departed Bon Scott, you woulda blown a gasket! How dare they! But we all know how well (for better or worse) that worked out in the end.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:07 pm

IMO it would have been the wrong fit for the remaining Doors members. 2 different singing styles. I like Rodgers vocals but in Free/Badco......

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 pm

I just ordered “ The Complete Works of Jim Morrison “. Hard cover edition.
Ann, his sister, just inherited everything. Parents are dead.
I guess about 20 notebooks were in a bank vault somewhere.
This book is around 600 pages. Yikes. Lol.
Some pages are about his trial. How he wanted a family. Song lyrics.
There are - some never before seen photos too.
Knowing Jim died on July 3rd....inspired me to buy the book.
I couldn’t believe there’s an audio format to the book too. Already.
It was just recently published.
“ Let it roll baby roll “
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death   The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Doors considered hiring Paul Rodgers after Morrison's death
Page 1 of 1