Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jim Morrison

Go down 
+4
manny
mikeinfla
Addy
Glower
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 pm

I was / am - a DOORS fan -
Many books published about him and the band.
I saw this video - thought it was interesting -
They say his gravesite is a popular tourist attraction -
But this clip really shows you the spot -
Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm

I've been a fan of The Doors since I first heard "Hello, I Love You" when I was about 3 years old.

The one problem I have with all the attention Morrison gets is how the rest of the band often gets overlooked...and that was a killer, unique group of musicians.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 7:45 am

The Doors had a great sound

I love alot of the tunes from them

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:30 am

S.D. wrote:
I've been a fan of The Doors since I first heard "Hello, I Love You" when I was about 3 years old.  

The one problem I have with all the attention Morrison gets is how the rest of the band often gets overlooked...and that was a killer, unique group of musicians.  

Agreed, and they do get a lot of heat for Full Circle and Other Voices which are good albums. Some of the lyrical themes are dated but it was the early 70's. I like to listen to those every once in a while and I enjoyed the fact that Ray stayed busy until his death.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 am

I am a huge Doors fan, my fav band of all time. I remember when I did the thread on their discography thread it went down like a lead balloon ( to reference another classic band). The Doors were certainly alot more then Jim Morrison, but very artist or frontman were as charismatic as he was, and his early death cemented his legend and status.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 11:58 am

When you look at the writing credits on those classic albums, it's really sad how much it's viewed as "Jim's Band" when he wrote very little of the classic material. Granted, his delivery is tops, but those songs often enough weren't his.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 12:45 pm

The Doors are one of my favorite Rock bands. Have all their albums and a few compilations and some live material. Love Jim's poetry and attitude Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Runicen wrote:
When you look at the writing credits on those classic albums, it's really sad how much it's viewed as "Jim's Band" when he wrote very little of the classic material.  Granted, his delivery is tops, but those songs often enough weren't his.

The credits simply read the Doors and that was Jim's idea. Not because of royalties but to keep things even among them and also all had equal veto power. The lion's share of material was written by Jim and Robby Krieger.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 2:22 pm

manny wrote:
Runicen wrote:
When you look at the writing credits on those classic albums, it's really sad how much it's viewed as "Jim's Band" when he wrote very little of the classic material.  Granted, his delivery is tops, but those songs often enough weren't his.

The credits simply read the Doors and that was Jim's idea. Not because of royalties but to keep things even among them and also all had equal veto power. The lion's share of material was written by Jim and Robby Krieger.

I could be wrong, but I think one of the recent reissues did actually break out who wrote what.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Runicen wrote:
manny wrote:
Runicen wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think one of the recent reissues did actually break out who wrote what.

The only album I am aware that did that was 'The Soft Parade' that was because Jim Morrison objected to one line, in 'Tell All the People', he did not want people to think he was telling him to pick up their guns and follow him
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 am

I have all their albums, a big part of my teenage years were spent soaking up their music. Anyone know any other band that never employed a bass player like the Doors besides the White Stripes and the Black Keys? I know Ray played the bass lines on his keyboards, but I don't think they ever really used any bass player ever.
Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 2:15 am

They added a bass player for some songs on Morrison Hotel (Lonnie Mack) and L.A. Woman (Jerry Scheff).
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 am

Mr Mojo Rising

Thanks now Im gonna have LA woman in my head all day hehe :p
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 9:08 am

Morrison LOOKED the part.
in the 1980's, many metal bands, everyone looked as the other -
4 Morrison's in one band - hated that !
The DOORS - it was Jim - though Robbie looked great one year.
One concert, the announcer went on stage and said ,
" Ladies and Gentlemen, from Las Angels California,
Jim Morrison and the Doors " - guy walks back stage - Morrison grabs him -
" It's THE DOORS. Go back out there and introduce us right " !!
He appoligized to the crowd - then introduced them right.

Last edited by Glower on Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 9:41 am

GrandNational wrote:
I have all their albums, a big part of my teenage years were spent soaking up their music. Anyone know any other band that never employed a bass player like the Doors besides the White Stripes and the Black Keys? I know Ray played the bass lines on his keyboards, but I don't think they ever really used any bass player ever.

For their early career, The Cramps had two guitarists and no bassist. I think that changed in the 80s and onward and they went into more traditional 4-piece territory after that.
Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 pm

I think a lot of people don't realize that organs have bass pedals. Most jazz organists tour without a bassist and play all the bass-lines on the pedals.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 2:43 pm

I loved that they incorporated the organ in their music, it really gave it a unique sound
Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Addy wrote:
I loved that they incorporated the organ in their music, it really gave it a unique sound

It's also the type of organ he was using. Most psychedelic and progressive rock bands were using Hammond organs at the time, but Manzarek was using a Vox Continental organ which had a very different sound than the Hammond and really gave The Doors a unique sonic signature.

The first thing I think of with The Doors is a combination of the organ sound and also the type of grooves they laid down. Those hypnotic jazz-inspired tunes like Riders On The Storm was what first got me interested in them and that's also the type of song I will never tire of. My Uncle left a couple 45 singles of The Doors at my Grandmother's house and I discovered them when I was about 3.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 5:11 pm

Jim died today - 51 years ago ?
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Listened to this band tonz as a pup, especially when I smoked lotz of herbz.

toss on the "L.A Woman" vinyl from timie to time

Jim Morrison  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Morrison    Jim Morrison  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jim Morrison
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: