Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest

Go down 
+20
the sentinel
candlemass
MetallicSeminarian
mikeinfla
Vexer6
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
Runicen
brokentulsa
MoonChild
Troublezone
Glower
nevermore
Boris2008
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Witchfinder
James B.
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Breaking The Law
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap5%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Rapid Fire
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap21%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 21% [ 8 ]
Metal Gods
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap8%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Grinder
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap21%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 21% [ 8 ]
United
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap3%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Living After Midnight
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap3%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap5%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
The Rage
 21% [ 8 ]
Steeler
Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_lcap13%Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Empty
PostSubject: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest 220px-Judas_Priest_British_Steel

Released- April 14, 1980.
Recorded-January–February 1980 at Startling Studios, Ascot, England; United Kingdom.
Produced by Tom Allom.

Rob Halford – vocals, K. K. Downing – guitar, Glenn Tipton – guitar,Ian Hill – bass guitar, Dave Holland – drums

Breaking The Law
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Grinder
United
Living After Midnight
You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise
The Rage
Steeler

I liked Dave Holland in Trapeze, but would have preferred Les Binks to stick around. This is where the rest of the neighborhood climbed on board the JP train and I was looking at what else was at the station, so-to-speak.

Best tune..."The Rage"

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Another impossible task.

I picked "Rapid Fire." My dark horse pick is "The Rage."
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Steeler. The energy level on that track is infectious and I always liked how present the recording sounded, the original LP sounded like the band was playing in your living room just a few feet away.

Runners up would be the other under-played tracks: The Rage and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise.

I'm pretty much completely burned out on the rest of the album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm

I went with the Rage, just beating out Grinder.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Grinder. Simple, heavy, grinding tune. It just works.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 4:09 pm

I remember reading interviews (probably Ram It Down-era) where Rob Halford would name British Steel the best Judas Priest album. I thought that was cool because most artists would say their current album was the best. Not sure if later Priest albums have topped it. It's a good solid album, but some tracks just plod along

Back in the day, I'd probably vote for "You Don't Have To Be Old to Be Wise", but, the more I listen to the album, the greater appreciation I have for "The Rage." That last line Halford sings just kicks. Looks like a lot of you agree, so, another vote for "The Rage."
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm completely in agreement with Witchfinder. Rapid Fire followed by The Rage.

I'm not burned out on this record, I completely love it as much as the ten year old me that bought it. Special nostalgia factor for Living After Midnight, the song that made me buy it  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm completely in agreement with Witchfinder. Rapid Fire followed by The Rage.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 pm

I was at this very Lowell show - front row - with a motorcycle black belt friend -
had a black hoodie sweat shirt on -that had DIO printed in white -
Dio had died recently, from what I remember, and heard Halford spoke well of him -
anyways, when the curtain dropped -
I had a evil smile with my fist held out shoulder hieght -
I felt he was immediately singing right at us -
it was incredible - stage was super intense - loud - obviously
I swear when he sang ' 2nd to none ' the final time - at me -
I could of reached out and touched him - lol -
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Glower wrote:
I swear when he sang ' 2nd to none ' the final time - at me -I could of reached out and touched him - lol -

That sounded so Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest 576953

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Without a doubt, my vote goes to Grinder!

When I hear that song, it sticks in my head for hours.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 am

Rapid Fire over Grinder.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 4:33 am

You don't have to be old to be wise...love this track. I bought my first copy of this way back on 8 track tape..then I got the vinyl and now the remastered cd...
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 7:49 am

Tons of great tracks on this one, but I'm glad to see all the love "The Rage" is getting. That's the song that took me from, "Eh, 'Breaking the Law' is ok, I guess," to "Holy crap, this band kicks!"

That intro is probably one of the weirdest things I've ever heard a mainstream metal band throw into one of their songs and it still makes me smile.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 am

"You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise" > Rapid Fire (by the smallest of margins)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 am

This is probably the most overplayed record in the Priest catalog for me.

I loved "Breaking the Law" and "Living After Midnight" back in the day but they've been run so far into the ground that I never need to hear either one of them again.

I never liked "United" much but as I understand it, neither does the band (they admit that it was a half-assed attempt at coming up with a Queen-style arena anthem ala "We Will Rock You").

That leaves us with the so-called "deep cuts" that were never singles or radio/live set favorites, and out of those I guess I'd have to go with "Grinder."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 11:24 am

I went with Steeler, but could have chosen Metal Gods, Grinder or The Rage too. Sort of tired of Living After Midnight and Breaking the Law. I like United. I know a lot of fans hate it, but it's not so bad. It's a sing-along anthem.

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am

I despise sing-along anthems. Razz
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 pm

James B. wrote:
Glower wrote:
I swear when he sang ' 2nd to none ' the final time - at me -I could of reached out and touched him - lol -

That sounded so Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest 576953

Well, at least it wasn't Morrison singing "Touch me " Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest 337331
Never knew they had that flag guy icon -
this site has it all covered !
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Grinder is probably my favorite, never liked United, it just sounds boring compared to most of the band's other songs.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 8:56 am

Livin' After Midnight for me. I don't care HOW overplayed this song is on Classic Rock radio, I will never tire of it and the opening drums.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 8:49 am

Never been one of my favorite Priest albums, but there's great stuff here. 

Went with Grinder just over Metal Gods. I also really like Livin' After Midnight but I could live without Breaking the Law and United.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 5:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
Steeler.  The energy level on that track is infectious and I always liked how present the recording sounded, the original LP sounded like the band was playing in your living room just a few feet away.  

Runners up would be the other under-played tracks:  The Rage and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise.  

Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest 604261
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Is anybody surprised that "United" is the only song that nobody has voted for? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 8:06 pm

The whole album is great...but "Grinder" is just killer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest   Best tune on "British Steel" by Judas Priest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next