Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant

Go down 
+11
Igor
mc666
brontotex
Todd Jaymz
Smindas
DallasBlack
Lurideath
krokus
stormspell
Rex
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:03 am

Thanks for those, Eyesore!! The Oath sounds amazing! not sure I'm as fond of the Queensrÿche cover though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:50 am

stormspell wrote:
I wonder what the new album would have sounded if instead of Angela it was sung to say by Kimberly Goss - that would be something I'd buy on the spot!

...ew. I love Kimberly Goss' voice and everything, but in no way can I see that working. Although, I am now curious as to how AE would sound with a power metal singer - that would be hilarious.

But seriously, I don't get how people can complain about Angela because she uses a death metal voice. I can understand the "I prefer Liva" thing, although I disagree. But the aggressive voice is one of the key staples of Arch Enemy - it just wouldn't be Arch Enemy if it was a clean singer. It'd draw it further away from the Gothenberg-sound the band developed from. I mean, imagine At The Gates with a clean singer. That would be wrong. Same applies here, or at least in my opinion it does.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:21 am

i got a free song of this album on a cd in metal hammer and it did nothing for me so i am going to pass on this album. never liked them overly much anyway
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 am

Quote :
Hmmm...I'm looking on Metal-Archives right now. It appears they released a single before this album and they covered Queensryche's "Walking In The Shadows!" Shocked I'll have to look for this tonight, but that just seems scary! Haha. Their cover of "Symphony Of Destruction" was pretty bad.

I didn't mind their version of it, but have you heard the live version Nightwish recorded? Now that is aweful!

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:36 am

hey kmorg which cover do you mean queensryche or megadeth
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 am

kmorg wrote:
Quote :
Hmmm...I'm looking on Metal-Archives right now. It appears they released a single before this album and they covered Queensryche's "Walking In The Shadows!" Shocked I'll have to look for this tonight, but that just seems scary! Haha. Their cover of "Symphony Of Destruction" was pretty bad.

I didn't mind their version of it, but have you heard the live version Nightwish recorded? Now that is aweful!
I thought the Nightwish version was good. I found the Arch Enemy version hilarious.

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 6:10 am

you know it is not clear who recorded what or by which band
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 6:51 am

Symphony of Destruction ws recorded by Megadeth. I outlined it in red. Both Nightwish and Arch Enemy have covered it. Smindas understood it right away.

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 am

yeah i know who syphony of destruction is by as i do happen to own countdown to excinction on cd.

what i wanted to know was who covered what
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:47 am

stormspell wrote:
mc666 wrote:
piss on the Angela haters... they just don't like women. Cool

Oh, here comes the "she is a hot chick" argument Smile.
Let me tell ya: if I want hot chicks I'd go to a striptease bar, but if I want music I need more than one-tone growler, even if she has blue eyes and boobs greedy
you never heard me mention her looks. you are the one who seems hung up on them. i was talking about women in metal.

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm

I love women in metal!

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:10 pm

kmorg wrote:
Quote :
Yes, I think that one is even worse! It surprises me, too, because Nightwish has some pretty good covers. I guess as a live thing they just didn't work on it too much. But yeah, it's pretty bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:11 pm

kmorg wrote:
Thanks for those, Eyesore!! The Oath sounds amazing! not sure I'm as fond of the Queensrÿche cover though.
I love them both! I listened to them like 100 times last night. Haha.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:06 pm

Smindas wrote:
But seriously, I don't get how people can complain about Angela because she uses a death metal voice. I can understand the "I prefer Liva" thing, although I disagree. But the aggressive voice is one of the key staples of Arch Enemy - it just wouldn't be Arch Enemy if it was a clean singer. It'd draw it further away from the Gothenberg-sound the band developed from. I mean, imagine At The Gates with a clean singer. That would be wrong. Same applies here, or at least in my opinion it does.

That's the thing: "aggressive" and "death metal" vocals are not equal in my opinion. I wouldnt mind someone like Alexi Laiho singing in AE, some harsh raspy screamer type of voice you know. That definitely would fit better than the stereotypical death metal growling vocals - they are just too monotonous for the music in my opinion.

To give credit to Angela she is trying to get into more screaming mode (in Queensryche cover for instance) so one day it may start working for her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 pm

I've always viewed her as a screamer, not a death metal "singer."
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm

stormspell wrote:
Smindas wrote:

That's the thing: "aggressive" and "death metal" vocals are not equal in my opinion. I wouldnt mind someone like Alexi Laiho singing in AE, some harsh raspy screamer type of voice you know. That definitely would fit better than the stereotypical death metal growling vocals - they are just too monotonous for the music in my opinion.

To give credit to Angela she is trying to get into more screaming mode (in Queensryche cover for instance) so one day it may start working for her.
Well, I guess our perceptions are radically different. As I don't see Angela is 'monotone'. I also think that Alexi Laiho's voice, as much as I love him in Bodom, would be a wrong move for Arch Enemy. But I still see Alexi and Angela's vocal styles as quite similar, Angela just being a bit more gutteral. She definitely isn't the typical death metal singer, that's for sure.

EDIT: Seriously, what's so bad about Nightwish's Symphony of Destruction? It's a little rough around the edges, but I actually think it's pretty decent. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Marco's vocals though.

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Smindas wrote:
EDIT: Seriously, what's so bad about Nightwish's Symphony of Destruction? It's a little rough around the edges, but I actually think it's pretty decent. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Marco's vocals though.
His vocals are basically the only thing decent about it. The song just doesn't have that Nightwish sound. The guitar tone is crap. It's just sounds like something they came up with on the spot.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Does anyone else have the A.E. Live Apocalypse dvd?? Angela seems like a sweetheart and down to earth. Never met the band, I'll have to set up a interview next time thsy come through WI-TJ
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 7:21 pm

My only complaint about Angela is that she's a vegan and I don't trust people who don't eat meat. insane

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:03 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
My only complaint about Angela is that she's a vegan and I don't trust people who don't eat meat. insane

lol!
Well, she isn't a lesbian, so I think you're wrong.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

lol!
Well, she isn't a lesbian, so I think you're wrong.

Ha Ha, very funny Mr. Glenn Quagmire. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 1:20 am

Smindas wrote:
She definitely isn't the typical death metal singer, that's for sure.
that is for sure. she is much more melodic... like Chuck Billy's Low/Demonic/The Gathering vox. i never considered Arch Enemy a death metal band anyway. more melodic post thrash.

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 3:02 am

mc666 wrote:
Smindas wrote:
She definitely isn't the typical death metal singer, that's for sure.
like Chuck Billy's Low/Demonic/The Gathering vox
I don't hear this at all. She's like a melodic death metal singer. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and such.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 5:10 am

I'd say she's somewhere between. A lot of melodic death metal singers lack variation or actually go clean at some points - Angela doesn't. Whilst she's no way near low enough to be compared to Chuck Billy, I see what Mc666 is getting at and agree.

Also, as for the Live Apocalypse DVD - I was at that gig! I need to still pick up the DVD, but that was a great night. Dark Tranquility, The Haunted and Arch Enemy AKA the Swedish Apocalypse.

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 12:25 pm

I always considered Arch Enemy to be a part of the whole Gothenburg melodeath scene.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant   Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next