Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live

Go down 
+5
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
mc666
corplhicks
9 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Empty
PostSubject: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Anyone hear this yet? IMO their strongest album yet, and Jeff Loomis RIPS on it. To top things off, Alissa actually sings on one track! To my knowledge this is the only female vocal melody the band has done so far. Anyway, it's a powerful record from start to finish. The first video is my favorite, the second is where Alissa sings (it's a power ballad), and the third is the video for the first single (which has a badass breakdown).

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 pm

It's good. I just wish Jeff was allowed to contribute some to the writing. Seems like a waste. Same with Gary & Slayer.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm

mc666 wrote:
It's good. I just wish Jeff was allowed to contribute some to the writing. Seems like a waste. Same with Gary & Slayer.

I was just reading about that actually. I will say this album sounds a little more "classic-metal" to me in parts. I dunno, maybe that's Jeff rubbing off on them? Regardless I'm hoping he'll have more input on the next record.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Tried to get into this band without any success so far.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Another very good album. Not sure if it's their best, but it's quite good. I do hope they allow Loomis to contribute on the next one, though, if he's still in the band.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 am

Eyesore wrote:
Another very good album. Not sure if it's their best, but it's quite good. I do hope they allow Loomis to contribute on the next one, though, if he's still in the band.

The good news is his solos are distinctive. He makes it absolutely certain it's him whenever his spot comes up.

I will say that First Day in Hell, a kick-ass tune, sorta reminds me of Nevermore. I could hear Dane tearing it up with that riff.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 am

Talk about a band that's gone to shit....ugh

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

????

How? I've been revisiting their entire catalog and there's a hair's breadth of difference between now and then. Unless you're more a fan of when Johan was singing?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 am

corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

????

How? I've been revisiting their entire catalog and there's a hair's breadth of difference between now and then. Unless you're more a fan of when Johan was singing?

He hates everything!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 am

candlemass wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

????

He hates everything!

Nonsense. He's posted many positive comments on lots of bands. I don't particularly agree with him on Arch Enemy either though.

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Great band music-wise. Why the frell they keep getting those one-trick-pony growling chicks is beyond me. One day they will upgrade to a vocalist I can tolerate, and I'd be able to enjoy their music. One can always hope Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 11:01 pm

stormspell wrote:
Great band music-wise. Why the frell they keep getting those one-trick-pony growling chicks is beyond me. One day they will upgrade to a vocalist I can tolerate, and I'd be able to enjoy their music. One can always hope Smile

Uhhh, well, this is the band that really spearheaded the death metal female vocalist revolution, if we wanna call it that. And as a fan of harsh vocals, I find her rather multi-dimensional. We've got whispers to screams, punkish deeps, blackened highs, shouts--and the brilliant thing is that the guitar carries the melodies in time with her growls, which makes it all so memorable. And here we actually have her singing on one track. Her work in The Agonist was outstanding. I believe she's a trained vocalist? Anyway, one-trick pony is a little wut. Especially since she was handpicked by Angela. These guys work off a different pitch, a different dynamic.

But of course I understand if growling's just not your thing.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 pm

But of course the guitar carries the melodies. There is no vocal line in her growls whatsoever, doh.

Anyhow, for me personally this band was never death metal. They are technical power metal with growling vokills. New chick has a bit wider vocal diapason than Angela, but then Angela's range was flat two-tones, so its not hard to top it. If they keep upgrading vocals in that direction, I have hopes to fully enjoy their albums sometime next decade Wink.

I do applaud her for actually trying to sing on the "ballad" song. A way to go! Although personally, if it was up to me, I'd swap her instantly with Kimberly Goss for instant killer results.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

stormspell wrote:
But of course the guitar carries the melodies. There is no vocal line in her growls whatsoever, doh.

I'm just saying that to me it's rather ingenious; I've actually been singing these songs for days now (I can't growl to save my life). I'm sure there are other bands that do this, but none come to mind right now.

I also find her methodology with the ballad to be rather cool. Start with a clean vocal, get all raspy for the pre-chorus, and growl the chorus. Pretty dynamic.

I've always known AE to be melodic death metal, but your tags work as well.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 2:53 am

Overall I have the same issue with this album as all Arch Enemy records, I start off by digging the hell out of it but then it's all a bit samey to hold my attention all the way through, so I would welcome a bit more singing to break it up.

The best tune is this little gem

Argue the Melodic Death or growly power metal thing if you must but strip away the heavy guitars and growls and this is a straight up DISCO tune!! dancingthing
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 am

^^Yeah, that number is pretty rad, and stuck in my head. I'd weirdly enjoy a disco remix lol.

There's only a couple throwaway songs with weaker hooks. Otherwise the whole album is like opening the Lament Configuration (wondering who will get this reference).

I do know I'll get burnt out on this album soon; happens with every AE album. Not a bad thing, just is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 pm

stormspell wrote:
I do applaud her for actually trying to sing on the "ballad" song. A way to go! Although personally, if it was up to me, I'd swap her instantly with Kimberly Goss for instant killer results.

Goss has been MIA for years, man. Last I knew she was a vocal coach/teacher somewhere out in the midwest, focusing on being a mom.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 pm

The only lp I have from them is "Doomsday Machine", and I absolutely love it! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 am

mc666 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

????

He hates everything!

Nonsense. He's posted many positive comments on lots of bands. I don't particularly agree with him on Arch Enemy either though.

I certainly do not "hate everything". But, for me, compared to when Johan was singing, this is Katy Perry metal.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
mc666 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

????

He hates everything!

I certainly do not "hate everything". But, for me, compared to when Johan was singing, this is Katy Perry metal.

I can definitely understand that POV.

Although Alissa is cuter than Katy Perry... Razz
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 am

Haven't listened to these guys in awhile as I grew bored with them. This is very good on some of the guitar parts but the singer isn't doing it for me.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:
stormspell wrote:

Goss has been MIA for years, man. Last I knew she was a vocal coach/teacher somewhere out in the midwest, focusing on being a mom.

Yeah, she's on sabbatical raising her daughter. Latest pictures of her I've seen are awesome - she shed all the extra weight and looks fabulously gorgeous! She will be back one day, and maybe we'll finally get that 4th Sinergy album
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am

stormspell wrote:
She will be back one day, and maybe we'll finally get that 4th Sinergy album

headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live   Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arch Enemy - new album Will to Live
Page 1 of 1