Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks

Go down 
+24
ShadowAngel
80s Metal Lady
Temple of Blood
DakotaRogers
journeyman
John Madden
chewie
martinsane
MetallicSeminarian
Citanul
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Leatherface
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Boris2008
manny
Runicen
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Ripping Corpse wrote and recorded a song called "Exhumation Day" for their Dreaming With the Dead album, but it was left off the album by the record label because of the lyrical content.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Ripping Corpse wrote and recorded a song called "Exhumation Day" for their Dreaming With the Dead album, but it was left off the album by the record label because of the lyrical content.

Didn't they realize what they were getting into when they signed a band called 'Ripping Corpse'?
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 9:05 am

Boris2008 wrote:
No mention for this one yet  surprised

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 The_Beatles_-_Butcher_Cover

Mentioned that one in my original post.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Also, even it's not quite what fits this thread, it does bring label censorship to mind.

Even though it is an Exhorder original, the lyrics for the song "Anal Lust" were not printed in the booklet for Exhorder's Slaughter in the Vatican album.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Also, even it's not quite what fits this thread, it does bring label censorship to mind.

Even though it is an Exhorder original, the lyrics for the song "Anal Lust" were not printed in the booklet for Exhorder's Slaughter in the Vatican album.

I blame Pantera.

Just joking. I just finished responding to the Exhorder/Pantera thing in the random thoughts thread.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 2:00 pm

A story pertaining to that song ("Anal Lust")...

On another board I was posting at, we were talking about taking music videos by hot female singers, and playing metal videos over them. One post mentioned having a Selena Gomez video on, turning the sound off, and playing Exhorder over it.

The song wasn't mentioned, but a reply said something to the effect of, "I bet I know what Exhorder song it was!" Though a later reply said that it was not "Anal Lust".
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Also, the album cover art for Autopsy - Severed Survival was changed as well.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 6:52 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
No mention for this one yet  surprised

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 The_Beatles_-_Butcher_Cover

Mentioned that one in my original post.
So you did  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 8:48 am

corplhicks wrote:
Virgin Killer, man. That one is just...sheesh.

Scorpions have a long history of banned/altered covers. They also had edited covers for Taken By Force, Lovedrive, Love At First Sting, Pure Instinct, and Deadly Sting: The Mercury Years.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

The original cover for Pestilence's Consuming Impulse was changed by the label.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Leatherface wrote:
The original cover for Pestilence's Consuming Impulse was changed by the label.

I love Pestilence, but never knew this.

Do you have a link to the original album cover, by any chance? If it exists, that is.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Never mind, I found it. It was used as the cover art for a compilation of theirs later, not a very good cover at all.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Van Halen - Balance.

Japanese release didn't have the joined twins.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 am

Required Fields wrote:

We dug up little Cathy today
We dug her up so she could play
We f*cked her hard, we had our way
With her corpse on exhumation day

Visions of your wormy, rotted flesh
Abhorrence, of your fetid, vile stench
Anxious to spread your decaying legs
Expectations of copulation with the dead

Sodomize, your lovely severed head
Infatuated, with your disembodied breasts
Disgusted, as your flesh rips and shreds
Mutilated, your flesh and bones lay desecrated

Pus and maggots ooze from your putrid stinking c*nt
Entry from the back and from the front
I'm gonna plow you with my necrofucking tool
Turn your decomposing meat into spermy, rancid gruel

Ripping Corpse stooping to Cannibal Corpse-esque retardation, good grief.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 pm

RIPPING CORPSE were a horrible band. They had more chops than the average DM band at the time but their songs were junk.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 3:50 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Guns n' Roses was supposed to remove the Charles Manson penned track 'Look at Your Game Girl' from further pressings of The Spaghetti Incident after some public outcry. Not sure if they actually followed up on that though. Probably not.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Thought for sure this would be mentioned, but didn't see it skimming the posts.

"Animal (F*#% Like a Beast)" was pulled from W.A.S.P.'s debut album upon its original release.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 5:17 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

What about banned band names? Anyone remember the "Green Jello" debacle?

REO Speeddealer had to remove the "REO" from their name for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Hadley wrote:

Scorpions have a long history of banned/altered covers. They also had edited covers for Taken By Force, Lovedrive, Love At First Sting, Pure Instinct, and Deadly Sting: The Mercury Years.

Their covers were never censored in europe at all. Virgin Killer was a sudden discusion in 2008 here in Germany with a somewhat controversy and the band explaining againg "it was the record label" (Uli Jon Roth said that he never approved of that cover and said it was the label wanting something that gets everybody talking, he hated it)
For decades nobody here in Germany even talked about it, it was an album cover, nobody gave a flying F*ck, same as with the Blind Faith album cover for example. In 2008 it was suddenly a big shock to feminists that this album cover exists and they made an outburst and the album isn't sold with that cover here anymore but with the band shot that was used in the USA and elsewhere before.

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Guns n' Roses was supposed to remove the Charles Manson penned track 'Look at Your Game Girl' from further pressings of The Spaghetti Incident after some public outcry. Not sure if they actually followed up on that though. Probably not.

It was never removed at all, all pressings of Spaghetti Incident have that song on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Hec_The_Wreck
Metal novice
Metal novice
Hec_The_Wreck

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 am

Nashville p*ssy - Let Them Eat p*ssy

The cd came in a plastic bag so you couldn't see the cover.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 10:36 am

Seriously who would even consider listening to ripping corpse? Disgusting lyrics. They ought to be jailed for this song. Damn.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

ShadowAngel wrote:

It was never removed at all, all pressings of Spaghetti Incident have that song on it

That doesn't surprise me. I think it was more of a knee-jerk reaction by Geffen Records at the time. Then the furor died down and noone seemed to care anymore.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 am

The original version of Purple Rain had an extended intro, outro, and break, and a third verse that got cut. It was an epic 14 minute tune that had to be cut down to a "mere" 8 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ShadowAngel wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. I think it was more of a knee-jerk reaction by Geffen Records at the time. Then the furor died down and noone seemed to care anymore.

...or The Spaghetti Incident just didn't sell enough copies to warrant any further printings. Take your pick. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 11:43 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Seriously who would even consider listening to ripping corpse? Disgusting lyrics. They ought to be jailed for this song. Damn.

Ripping Corpse is a great band. Tuck in your clitoris and check this shit out - essential death/thrash.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZZls7vYrk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZiGHy7Bic

Temple of Blood wrote:
RIPPING CORPSE were a horrible band.  They had more chops than the average DM band at the time but their songs were junk.

I have a feeling that if one of us were to make a Temple of Blood thread, you'd show up just to say: "Those guys suck!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next