Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks

Go down 
+24
ShadowAngel
80s Metal Lady
Temple of Blood
DakotaRogers
journeyman
John Madden
chewie
martinsane
MetallicSeminarian
Citanul
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Leatherface
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Boris2008
manny
Runicen
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 2:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stryper's To Hell With The Devil - the original cover (which featured the band members as angels, kicking a Demons' ass) was replaced by a generic image of the band's logo on a black background because some dumbasses misinterpreted a pentagram in the original art as a sign of Satanism.

Two versions of Stryper's Reborn cover exist too - one is a pic of the band members covered in yellow & black goop, the other just with the band's logo. Presumably because some retailers were afraid customers would be offended by the yellow-and-black bukkake version.

Yeah it's funny how Stryper of all bands have had to change their covers.
In God we Trust had to be changed as well.It was originally green but they couldn't print it because it resembled actual money.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 10:43 am

The cover for Sodom's Mortal Way of Live was banned. Vio-lence song "Torture Tactics" was banned from their first two records before it was given it's own EP. The title track for Meliah Rage's Kill to Survive was pulled from the record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 10:58 am

Waco Jesus - The Destruction of Commercial Scum.

I read that a used CD store that had someone bring in a used copy wouldn't even put it in with the other used albums, they just had customers who listened to this form of music, asking them if they would want it instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Oh, also...isn't there a nudity version of Great White's Hooked?

I believe the Japanese version has a full-body image of the woman on the "hook" being lifted out of the water, while the U.S. version shows her still mostly submerged, only visible from the shoulders up.

You can see that one and a few others here...

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/censored/censored.shtml

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:50 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Btw, I don't think the Bon Jovi album was censored. They supposedly didn't like the pink outlining of the record that was done to match the models nails but it was too late to create another cover so we got the garbage bag sprayed with water with the title written by Jon's finger. The original cover was used for the tour book for the '86 world tour.

Wasn't the original cover...
Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Slippery1

...the Japanese/European release? I thought they only switched it for the US?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:54 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Scorpions Lovedrive.  The US cover has the generic scorpion logo, the European cover has the bubblegum on boob cover.  

This and others like the Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland cover are just "we must change these for the repressed US market who for some reason still have hangups about sexuality".  

The UK cover of 'Electric Ladyland' was not Hendrix's idea, that was his UK  label's  idea and he was very angry when he saw it, not for prudish reasons, but Hendrix felt the girls were not hot enough!

This article explains the boob-ified Ladyland cover in more detail, as well as some other questionable cover choices.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20196_6-alternate-album-covers-you-wont-believe-almost-happened.html

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Btw, I don't think the Bon Jovi album was censored. They supposedly didn't like the pink outlining of the record that was done to match the models nails but it was too late to create another cover so we got the garbage bag sprayed with water with the title written by Jon's finger. The original cover was used for the tour book for the '86 world tour.

Wasn't the original cover...
Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Slippery1

...the Japanese/European release? I thought they only switched it for the US?

You are probably right. I just always remember hearing that explanation growing up and talking with fellow Jovi fans. Btw, listening to a boot of late 80's early 90's outtakes I picked up (in Jersey) this past weekend and I keep wondering why they don't make music like this anymore?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Deicide had an album with Jesus on an autopsy table, guts out. There was a censored cover with a sheet with blood stains over the body.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 1:41 am

Slayers God Hates Us All was a picture of the bible with nails driven in it and the band name burned in the cover with blood splattered also.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:15 am

The cover for Dream Theater's Live Scenes from New York wasn't banned as such, but it was released on 9/11 with this artwork.

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Dt10

Understandably, the decision was made to recall it and re-release with new artwork.

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Dt210
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 82ecc390f8896c98dd432a39ededd2da_full

The original version of this (without the pentagram) is pretty hard to find.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Spinal Tap - Smell the Glove.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to use, it wasn't a glove!!

Laughing very hard

None more black!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Also, Cannibal Corpse have a few albums that fall into the category of having alternate album covers.

Eaten Back to Life, Butchered at Birth, Tomb of the Mutilated, The Bleeding, Vile, Gallery of Suicide, and Bloodthirst all have alternate artwork.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Dont forget the Vengeance Rising album Destruction Comes that put a sticker over the exploding bodybuilder. Then there's the complicated tale of the Melvins album "Lysol". They found out soon before the album was released that Lysol was a copyrighted name so they put black tape over the name and black ink on the spines, which was easily removed. Then they made the tape stronger so it couldnt be removed without damaging the cover. Then they finally deleted the word from future pressings, then there's the 2015 vinyl reissue titled "Lice-All".
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 12:02 am

Hadley wrote:
Dont forget the Vengeance Rising album Destruction Comes that put a sticker over the exploding bodybuilder. Then there's the complicated tale of the Melvins album "Lysol". They found out soon before the album was released that Lysol was a copyrighted name so they put black tape over the name and black ink on the spines, which was easily removed. Then they made the tape stronger so it couldnt be removed without damaging the cover. Then they finally deleted the word from future pressings, then there's the 2015 vinyl reissue titled "Lice-All".

I was going to mention the Vengeance Rising one, but from what I understand, the label put that on there itself just to play it safe instead of taking the chance it would be demanded from them.

What about banned band names? Anyone remember the "Green Jello" debacle?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:38 am

Did they do the 3 little pigs song?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:02 am

the sentinel wrote:

Did they do the 3 little pigs song?

Yes they did.

Pretty cool video. And I'm willing to guess it was the only thing the band did worth listening to. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:43 am

I picked up the Green Jelly CD earlier this year a a thrift shop. Aside from the 3 Little Pigs song, it's a waste of plastic. Haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 11:22 am

No mention for this one yet  surprised

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 The_Beatles_-_Butcher_Cover
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I picked up the Green Jelly CD earlier this year a a thrift shop. Aside from the 3 Little Pigs song, it's a waste of plastic. Haha

Considering they barely knew how to play their instruments I'm not surprised. Got to give them credit, they got by with just a gimmick. As the last part of that song said:

"And the moral of the story is: that bands with no talent, can easily amuse idiots with a stupid puppet show."

Didn't get them far but it sure made them quite a one-hit-wonder.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

"Anarchy in Bedrock" was pretty funny too i thought:

Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Hadley wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

"Anarchy in Bedrock" was pretty funny too i thought:

They were a bit O' fun the "Cereal Killer" video's were great and I must say the 2nd release was a bit more mature sounding, but they kept their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 3:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Considering they barely knew how to play their instruments I'm not surprised. Got to give them credit, they got by with just a gimmick. As the last part of that song said:

"And the moral of the story is: that bands with no talent, can easily amuse idiots with a stupid puppet show."

Didn't get them far but it sure made them quite a one-hit-wonder.

Wasn't someone from Tool in Green Jello?

Looked it up. It was Danny Carey. Maynard Keenan sang backups on the 3 Little Pigs song.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Nuclear Assault's Lesbians is omitted from all versions of Game Over accept the cassette.I asked John Connelly John to John why this was so! He didn't know that was the case.Also I can think of a couple of other ones-Wasn't the title track Kill to Survive left off the record with the same title? also wasn't there a Violence track left off of Oppressing the Masses? BOOM!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 6:37 pm

You are right on both Meliah Rage and Vio-lence. The song from the Vio-lence album, "Torture Tactics", was later released on the Torture Tactics EP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next